The Death Penalty at the Heart of God

Arthur Brain

Jesus had no choice but to send her away since there were not two witnesses to accuse her. Jesus followed the law, he didn't subvert it.

So, are you saying that if there were two witnesses, Jesus would have let it all go ahead and not intervened? He wouldn't have said anything to the crowd about 'he who is without sin cast the first stone' and wouldn't have wrote in the ground which seemed to convict everyone to drop their stones and wander off?

Oh, and also how there was nobody left to condemn her then neither did He? Or do you think Jesus would have if a few had remained?

:think:

chatmaggot

Hall of Fame
The Death Penalty would have prevented this:

A registered sex offender recently released from jail was charged Saturday with murder in the death of an 8-year-old Florida girl abducted while shopping with her mother.

Not only would the death penalty have prevented this, but each time something like this happens the death penalty needs to be administered quickly. In doing so, these events will occur less and less.

Instead, we are told by Christians and non-Christians that the death penalty is cruel...and who are we to judge when someone does something that we don't agree with.

Huckleberry

So, are you saying that if there were two witnesses, Jesus would have let it all go ahead and not intervened? He wouldn't have said anything to the crowd about 'he who is without sin cast the first stone' and wouldn't have wrote in the ground which seemed to convict everyone to drop their stones and wander off?

Oh, and also how there was nobody left to condemn her then neither did He? Or do you think Jesus would have if a few had remained?

Is that all that's required under the law? The same law God gave to Israel in the first place? The law Jesus had been teaching, and would continue to teach, all throughout His ministry?

This was a mob. They not only did not produce witnesses but they couldn't even claim the authority to judge the crime in the first place. Absent a judge to whom God has lent His authority to judge and punish the only one among that mob who could claim to do that would be one without sin. Which is to say, God Himself.

Apparently God wasn't in the crowd anywhere. Since no one else in the crowd could lay claim to perfect righteousness...there you go.

The point was never that we cannot judge and punish crimes. The point was that we can't do so outside the governing authority that God instituted and granted authority to do that. We individual human beings are not granted that authority precisely because we are not righteous as He is.

That's why that crowd dispersed when Jesus reminded them they were not without sin themselves. They had no right to judge and execute justice.

Arthur Brain

Is that all that's required under the law? The same law God gave to Israel in the first place? The law Jesus had been teaching, and would continue to teach, all throughout His ministry?

This was a mob. They not only did not produce witnesses but they couldn't even claim the authority to judge the crime in the first place. Absent a judge to whom God has lent His authority to judge and punish the only one among that mob who could claim to do that would be one without sin. Which is to say, God Himself.

Apparently God wasn't in the crowd anywhere. Since no one else in the crowd could lay claim to perfect righteousness...there you go.

The point was never that we cannot judge and punish crimes. The point was that we can't do so outside the governing authority that God instituted and granted authority to do that. We individual human beings are not granted that authority precisely because we are not righteous as He is.

That's why that crowd dispersed when Jesus reminded them they were not without sin themselves. They had no right to judge and execute justice.

Well how exactly was 'justice' dispensed in these times then?

For sure, this was a mob but would that have been all that unusual for the time, even with witnesses and an 'appointed' judge? I seriously doubt there'd have been any appeals process...

I think the crowd were convicted of a bit more than just their lack of authority to carry out "justice" also. They were convicted by their conscience and hopefully that had something to do with wanting to bludgeon a woman to death...

Huckleberry

For sure, this was a mob but would that have been all that unusual for the time, even with witnesses and an 'appointed' judge? I seriously doubt there'd have been any appeals process...

I think the crowd were convicted of a bit more than just their lack of authority to carry out "justice" also. They were convicted by their conscience and hopefully that had something to do with wanting to bludgeon a woman to death...

Yes, of course, but that is exactly what your conscience appeals to in such an instance. You aren't God and so don't have the authority (the "right", if that helps) to kill someone.

There's no "convicted of a bit more". That's exactly what the crowd was convicted of. It's what you would be convicted of if you'd gotten swept up in that crowd and then been confronted with this. You are as worthy of death as the adulterous woman is.

resurrected

BANNED
Banned

Me too, and I hope artie would too.

It's an awesome responsibility.

But just as I would willingly pull the switch on a mass murderer, or the trapdoor on a child molestor, I would be willing to execute God's will.
so to speak :chuckle:

which is why we'd have women wearing fake beards handling their stonings.

awww man - I was all primed to watch Pulp Fiction tonight and now you've given me a hankering for Life of Brian.

Bradley D

That has nothing to do with the government executing murderers, adulterers, rapists...

How is that a problem with the death penalty? Isn't that a problem with the justice system? Bad detective work, bad juries.

The discussion is not about innocent people you weak kneed sissy girl.

No change of mind here. If you want to line out the "Word" of God that is up to you. But I will stay with it.

"as for me and my house, we will serve the LORD" (Joshua 24:15).

Arthur Brain

Yes, of course, but that is exactly what your conscience appeals to in such an instance. You aren't God and so don't have the authority (the "right", if that helps) to kill someone.

Well, who exactly were appointed the arbiters of carrying out or justifying such executions in these times? You're talking about communes here.

There's no "convicted of a bit more". That's exactly what the crowd was convicted of. It's what you would be convicted of if you'd gotten swept up in that crowd and then been confronted with this. You are as worthy of death as the adulterous woman is.

Well, explain that to those who would have us put people to death in the present for being gay or adulterous then.

Lighthouse

The Dark Knight
Gold Subscriber
Hall of Fame
Jesus had no choice but to send her away since there were not two witnesses to accuse her. Jesus followed the law, he didn't subvert it.
:thumb:

There were supposed witnesses when Jesus spoke those words. But no one in that mob was following the law they were claiming to; you'd know that if you actually knew the law against which you argue.

So, no, Jesus would not have allowed it to continue if two or three had remained, as there were still aspects of said law being ignored.

There's a bit more to it than that.

Maybe if you picked up an Old Testament once in a while and read it you'd know the answer to your question.

This Charming Manc

Show me that in the text.

2 At dawn he appeared again in the temple courts, where all the people gathered around him, and he sat down to teach them. 3 The teachers of the law and the Pharisees brought in a woman caught in adultery. They made her stand before the group 4 and said to Jesus, “Teacher, this woman was caught in the act of adultery. 5 In the Law Moses commanded us to stone such women. Now what do you say?” 6 They were using this question as a trap, in order to have a basis for accusing him.

But Jesus bent down and started to write on the ground with his finger. 7 When they kept on questioning him, he straightened up and said to them, “Let any one of you who is without sin be the first to throw a stone at her.” 8 Again he stooped down and wrote on the ground.

9 At this, those who heard began to go away one at a time, the older ones first, until only Jesus was left, with the woman still standing there. 10 Jesus straightened up and asked her, “Woman, where are they? Has no one condemned you?”

11 “No one, sir,” she said.

“Then neither do I condemn you,” Jesus declared. “Go now and leave your life of sin.”

vs 3 and 4 State she was caught - this suggest by the requirements of the law had been met.

Jesus nowhere makes any reference to the requirements of Deuteronomy or the number of witnesses. In fact he says she should be stoned which again contradicts your argument.

He does however introduce the concept that only the innocent should punish her and this is what saves her.

Then he as the man without sin who could cast first stonee he chooses not to.

So your 2 witness theory bears no relation to the scripture, the teaching of John or the ministry of Jesus. Why do you lie about Jesus and his teaching ?