Teen Vogue under fire after promoting sodomy among teens

annabenedetti

like marbles on glass
I never knew it.

They have. Pretty explicit stuff at times. Right or wrong, it didn't seem to be an issue worth debating here until it involved something other than 'regular' sex.

I'm curious. You keep referring to the readers as children - were you around when there were TOLers here stating they saw nothing wrong with young teen girls being married? (We were reminded by some that Mary was only 13 although we don't know that for sure.) If it's "children" reading Teen Vogue, as you say, then I would imagine you'd come out strongly against a young (younger than 18) girl getting married?

Lon

IIRC, glassjester isn't an actual father. How does your "sit and listen" method work when you're in agreement with someone who isn't an actual father?

They can contribute. You have kids? Let's talk :)

There are a few issues concerning this, that only a parent can relate to. The issue was started by a concerned parent, posted her by another. Ray is entirely too permissive and worldly to be able to give more than a nod here and only as it pertains to current pop culture desires, rather than genuine needs of these kids. He 'can' learn a thing or two by sitting and listening to actual parents talking, this particular discussion. For what it is worth, he has me on ignore and will never see it anyway, so it is bit moot. -Lon

These kinds of magazines have been talking about sexuality for years upon decades. How come no one made a thread about Teen Vogue, or maybe Cosmo before now, I wonder?

Yeah, that is a concern too. It used to be such couldn't be purchased by anyone under 18. Laws are still on the books, but when a school starts doing this to kinds in kindergarten, it is, perhaps, after the horse has already left the barn. That said, we still have to fix that barn (regulations). I think we 'might' be on the same or similar page if that too is a concern to you, as much as it is to me. :e4e:

annabenedetti

like marbles on glass
I generally don't think parents and their children should talk about sex a whole lot. It tends to elicit that reaction. So, they need to get their info somewhere else.

I was raised in a very strictly religious home. I knew a lot more than my parents knew that I knew, because I was a voracious reader and read everything I came across. I learned a lot from these kinds of teen magazines, although I never acted on it. I just knew about stuff I would never have known otherwise. Funny thing is I was in a doctor's office a few years ago and picked up one of them (don't remember the magazine) to thumb through it... and read something I still didn't know about. :chuckle:

What the kids can access on the internet these days surpasses anything in Teen Vogue, which is incredibly sad because they're being sexualized at an earlier age and that's not something I'd want for my children. There's a difference between knowing about sexuality and being sexualized. The former is essential, the latter... a sign of our times.

Having said that, sometimes parents do an admirable job of keeping the communication lines open on tough subjects with their kids. More likely though, the parents are embarrassed to talk about it, and the kids are embarrassed to hear from their parents. Social psychology research shows that as much as parents would like to be the be-all-and-end-all driving influence in their child's life, it's the child's peers who will end up having more influence on them. Something for parents to think about, for sure.

I don't advocate that kids get their sexual information from teen magazines, although I know I did, and I know they will. Personally I think it teaches young girls to subjectify themselves before moving on to allowing themselves to be subjectivized by young men. Everything is based on their looks, their face, their body... instead of teaching them to value themselves for who they are as a person intellectually, mentally, emotionally. The magazine might have a decent article here or there, but the bulk of the magazines are made up of advertisements telling the girls the exact opposite.

annabenedetti

like marbles on glass
They can contribute. You have kids? Let's talk :)

Okay, so you're saying glassjester can contribute because you agree with him, but another poster who doesn't have kids should "sit and listen" because he's in opposition to your views?

There are a few issues concerning this, that only a parent can relate to. The issue was started by a concerned parent, posted her by another. Ray is entirely too permissive and worldly to be able to give more than a nod here and only as it pertains to current pop culture desires, rather than genuine needs of these kids. He 'can' learn a thing or two by sitting and listening to actual parents talking, this particular discussion. For what it is worth, he has me on ignore and will never see it anyway, so it is bit moot. -Lon

Who's Ray?

Yeah, that is a concern too. It used to be such couldn't be purchased by anyone under 18.

Magazines like Teen Vogue and Cosmo? Not that I'm aware of.

Laws are still on the books, but when a school starts doing this to kinds in kindergarten, it is, perhaps, after the horse has already left the barn. That said, we still have to fix that barn (regulations). I think we 'might' be on the same or similar page if that too is a concern to you, as much as it is to me. :e4e:

They're reading Teen Vogue to kids in kindergarten? Where is this happening?

Ktoyou

Hall of Fame
TOL,is, specifically, a Christian forum. This is why it is a bit silly to promote sodomy here. There are plenty of secular forums to discuss this topic. Why not take it there?

Nihilo

BANNED
Banned
These kinds of magazines have been talking about sexuality for years upon decades. How come no one made a thread about Teen Vogue, or maybe Cosmo before now, I wonder?
I was up in arms about how flippant our culture is about the birds and the bees decades ago. This article in Teen Vogue on censored is remarkable in its crass depravity, passing off something that is plainly immoral to teens and adolescents as if it's not a moral matter whatsoever. It's appalling. But you are right, that these types of publications have for decades been advocating behavior that is just as gravely immoral as censored. The other ones don't involve poop; that might be the feather that breaks this camel's back. :idunno:

Lon

They have. Pretty explicit stuff at times. Right or wrong, it didn't seem to be an issue worth debating here until it involved something other than 'regular' sex.

I'm curious. You keep referring to the readers as children - were you around when there were TOLers here stating they saw nothing wrong with young teen girls being married? (We were reminded by some that Mary was only 13 although we don't know that for sure.) If it's "children" reading Teen Vogue, as you say, then I would imagine you'd come out strongly against a young (younger than 18) girl getting married?
Yes, all of it bad. I read a book by two doctors, man and wife, two weeks prior to marriage. Some of these will spark law suits, and in school as well and I pray they lose their defense for taking what is a parent's job. In my city, many of these 'teachers' were unqualified AND inappropriate. It opened doors that they should have been in jail for. Barring a doctor coming to a school, I'm not for it at all. Bring a parent to a meeting but in no way trust a teacher. Maybe 9 of 10 or 19 of 20 would be 'okay.' In my school? Way too many men teachers involved with junior high school girls and brushed under a rug. Many should have been in jail. It was a time where this was swept away, not prosecuted. Some, sadly, were moved to high school as a measure to stop it :doh:

annabenedetti

like marbles on glass
I generally don't think parents and their children should talk about sex a whole lot. It tends to elicit that reaction. So, they need to get their info somewhere else.

I don't know I'd say they shouldn't, but I'd agree that parents in general don't talk much about it, or do it well. You'll get someone (I'll bet a mom) saying "of course I do, I talk to my daughter all the time about sex and she tells me everything!"... except chances are the daughter probably doesn't. Enough to make mom happy maybe, but not everything.

annabenedetti

like marbles on glass
Yes, all of it bad. I read a book by two doctors, man and wife, two weeks prior to marriage. Some of these will spark law suits, and in school as well and I pray they lose their defense for taking what is a parent's job. In my city, many of these 'teachers' were unqualified AND inappropriate. It opened doors that they should have been in jail for. Barring a doctor coming to a school, I'm not for it at all. Bring a parent to a meeting but in no way trust a teacher. Maybe 9 of 10 or 19 of 20 would be 'okay.' In my school? Way too many men teachers involved with junior high school girls and brushed under a rug. Many should have been in jail. It was a time where this was swept away, not prosecuted. Some, sadly, were moved to high school as a measure to stop it :doh:

Not sure what this has to do with Teen Vogue?

Lon

Okay, so you're saying glassjester can contribute because you agree with him, but another poster who doesn't have kids should "sit and listen" because he's in opposition to your views?
How do you know he has no kids? :think: After that, why wouldn't you welcome someone who agrees with parents? Are you a parent?

Who's Ray?
Kiwi.

Magazines like Teen Vogue and Cosmo? Not that I'm aware of.
No, not teen vogue, but Cosmo, yes, when they had this kind of material, a kid couldn't buy it.

They're reading Teen Vogue to kids in kindergarten? Where is this happening?

:nono: "Teaching sex ed" in kindergarten. Sometimes, generic, like allowing a transgender to read to them in a library. Sometimes entirely too much information like placing a condom over a banana (in KINDERGARTEN :doh: ).

annabenedetti

like marbles on glass
I was up in arms about how flippant our culture is about the birds and the bees decades ago.

You're right in that it's always been that way. Except it was all about 'normal' sex then. My mom would have had a fit if she knew what I was reading, but I was actually glad to have the information. I wouldn't have gotten it any other way.

The other ones don't involve poop; that might be the feather that breaks this camel's back. :idunno:

So 'regular' sex wouldn't break the camel's back. Isn't it all sex? Or is this more about the connection to homosexuality?

Nihilo

BANNED
Banned
You're right in that it's always been that way. Except it was all about 'normal' sex then. My mom would have had a fit if she knew what I was reading, but I was actually glad to have the information. I wouldn't have gotten it any other way.

So 'regular' sex wouldn't break the camel's back. Isn't it all sex? Or is this more about the connection to homosexuality?
If it has anything to do with homosexuality, it's sheer coincidence. This is monkey-see-monkey-do. In that, if monkey doesn't see, monkey won't do.

annabenedetti

like marbles on glass
How do you know he has no kids? :think:

I recalled he'd said once that he didn't.

No, not teen vogue, but Cosmo, yes, when they had this kind of material, a kid couldn't buy it.

Cosmo? :chuckle: I believe you're mistaken.

:nono: "Teaching sex ed" in kindergarten. Sometimes, generic, like allowing a transgender to read to them in a library. Sometimes entirely too much information like placing a condom over a banana (in KINDERGARTEN :doh: ).

That's not what we're talking about here.

rexlunae

I actually think sex is one of the few things where parents are uniquely unable to talk to kids reasonably. If they can, that's great, but realistically, there are going to be a lot of holes in that system for a lot of kids. And I think there's benefit in it being talked about in semi-public ways. And kids, especially teens, are always going to be drawn to such content.