Synagogue shooting and antisemitism

chair

In the context of the murders at a Pittsburgh synagogue a few days ago, I am wondering what TOL'ers think about antisemitism in the US. Do you think is is common? Is it different than other types of hate or general xenophobia?

I am a little surprised that nobody mentioned this shooting here until now. Not even in the context of gun control (unless I missed a post somewhere).

Chair

ok doser

lifeguard at the cement pond
we don't cover current events like we used to - most of the reactionary trolls like barbie are gone, the ones that would call you racist for even bringing it up

I live in northern new york, rural, impoverished, right up against the canadian border, and i never encounter anti-semitism

never encounter jews either :idunno:

steko

LIFETIME MEMBER
The Anti-Defamation League said there was a 57% spike of anti-Semitism during 2017.

I believe that it's different from other types of hate.

Our common humanity had a supernatural origin with the creation of Adam, yet there has been another special supernatural origin since then with the conception and birth of Isaac. The Israelite people would not exist had it not been for GOD's intervention in nature. He let the nations/gentiles go their own way at Babel and then began to build a nation for Himself from Abram.

GOD has stated in many places this truth of which these are just a few:

2Sa 7:24 For thou hast confirmed to thyself thy people Israel to be a people unto thee for ever: and thou, LORD, art become their God.

Jer 31:35 Thus saith the LORD, which giveth the sun for a light by day, and the ordinances of the moon and of the stars for a light by night, which divideth the sea when the waves thereof roar; The LORD of hosts is his name:
Jer 31:36 If those ordinances depart from before me, saith the LORD, then the seed of Israel also shall cease from being a nation before me for ever.

Eze 37:27 My tabernacle also shall be with them: yea, I will be their God, and they shall be my people.
Eze 37:28 And the heathen[nations/gentiles] shall know that I the LORD do sanctify Israel, when my sanctuary shall be in the midst of them for evermore.

Satan and his minions hate this and want to prove GOD wrong, thus the seemingly illogical anti-Semitism throughout the ages.

Grosnick Marowbe

Hall of Fame
I'll be 68 next month and to my knowledge and memory, I've never encountered a single 'anti-Semite' my entire life. Personally, a have a special place in my heart for the Jews (House of Israel.) I'm happy that I live in a country that is aligned with Israel, in all respects.

rexlunae

In the context of the murders at a Pittsburgh synagogue a few days ago, I am wondering what TOL'ers think about antisemitism in the US. Do you think is is common? Is it different than other types of hate or general xenophobia?

I think it's more common than most Americans realized, but still not especially common compared to the other bigotries that run rampant here. What's changed is that they feel empowered by the administration, which is a weird alliance between different types of white supremacists (some of them Jewish) who don't necessarily agree with each other on whether Jews are their kind of white. American Evangelicals have long been supportive of Israel, but mostly for reasons that aren't really very humanizing. They tend to believe that Israel has a role to play in the end times, which is going to end up with them all being destroyed.

I am a little surprised that nobody mentioned this shooting here until now. Not even in the context of gun control (unless I missed a post somewhere).

Chair

Most of the anti-Trumpers are gone. You think the conservatives here care?

ok doser

lifeguard at the cement pond
You think the conservatives here care?

i don't think most of the conservatives here care to contribute to a thread that will inevitably read "terrible - bastard should be executed"

it's only fun when there's trolls like barbie or artie to accuse trump of being a contributing factor to this nut's actions

how 'bout it rex? want to use this tragedy as an opportunity to bash trump? :banana:

JudgeRightly

裁判官が正しく判断する
Staff member
Administrator
Super Moderator
Gold Subscriber
Relevant...

Are You an Anti-Semite? Does this describe you? You have never warned anyone against being an anti-Semite. If so, then you may be an anti-Semite.

Yet if any of these describe you, then you are an anti-Semite:
- When you hear of an evil deed, you note whether or not a Jew did it.
- You have defended Martin Luther's intense hatred of Jews.
- You think that the Jews deserve to be despised.
- You think that the Jews are the enemy.
- You do not love the Jews as much as all other ethnic peoples.

- http://kgov.com/luther

rexlunae

how 'bout it rex? want to use this tragedy as an opportunity to bash trump? :banana:

Trump bares some responsibility. He said that there were many fine people amongst the neo-Nazis chanting "Jews will not replace us". Time and time again, he's signalled tacit support by how carefully he fails to repudiate white supremacists. Do I think it's a coincidence that in a week with three major white supremacist attacks targeting black people, Jews, and Democrats, during a charged hate-election where Trump has been stoking hate as a political tactic? No. This is exactly the predictable outcome.

https://www.nytimes.com/2018/10/28/us/gab-robert-bowers-pittsburgh-synagogue-shootings.html

fool

Hall of Fame
Trump bares some responsibility. He said that there were many fine people amongst the neo-Nazis chanting "Jews will not replace us".
Horsefeathers!
He said there were many fine people on both sides of a protest against taking down a statue.
The idiots with the torches were a sub set of that group.

rexlunae

everything i've read indicates these are the works of deranged loners

Just a coincidence that they all happened in the same week? Nothing to do with the direct appeals to race that are being made by one political party, eminating from the top?

further:

Bowers:

Sayoc: looks like he was a fanboi

i'm sorry - who was the third ?

https://www.nytimes.com/2018/10/25/us/louisville-kroger-shooting.html

Regarding Bowers, have you looked at why he didn't support Trump? It wasn't because he didn't buy into the program.

rexlunae

Horsefeathers!
He said there were many fine people on both sides of a protest against taking down a statue.
The idiots with the torches were a sub set of that group.

Sure, he wasn't referring to the neo-Nazis and neo-confederates. Just the people protesting with them. I'm honestly not sure how you pick out those very fine people in a crowd of Nazis, but Trump seems to think you can.

fool

Hall of Fame
Sure, he wasn't referring to the neo-Nazis and neo-confederates. Just the people protesting with them. I'm honestly not sure how you pick out those very fine people in a crowd of Nazis, but Trump seems to think you can.

Nazis are a small sub set of people who don't want to take statues down.
They're a small sub set of people who want to control our borders.
Being in favor of controlling our borders doesn't make one a Nazi.