ECT Speaking in tongues

Danoh

Sometimes.
And sometimes I pick a side.

That's it; we each simply have to have just one attempt at just one more clarification - think on that - we'd not be MADs otherwise :chuckle:

We'd be like every one else - they all think their one size fits all is where its at.

Ah, their bliss...I sometimes envy them...

Op - I feel another distinction coming on, see ya lay-tuh, al-luh-gae-tuh, lol

heir

TOL Subscriber
heir recently posted what appears to have been addressed to me regarding her understanding of what I had posted to 1 Mind, about Acts 17:30...

I perceived that as addressed to me.

If it was, it would obviously be an attempt at an expressing on her part that she believes I am wrong.

I'm fine with that.

I do not see it as an attempt to one up me.

Because I refuse to see myself as the issue.
It's rather easy to find out who I was responding to in my post. Follow the yellow brick road...errrr, I mean click on the little blue arrow.

And Acts 17:30 KJV is not Paul's gospel. It's sad that you think it is.
Then you'll know it's not about you.

Lazy afternoon

LIFETIME MEMBER
LIFETIME MEMBER
You miss the point. There are reports from missionaries who reported miraculous but blasphemous "tongues" (actual languages) being spoken by those possessed by demons. The missionaries knew the person speaking did not know the language being spoken, but they spoke in it anyway because they were possessed. The speaker didn't know the language. The demon did.

But whether or not those reports are accurate, let's assume someone today had the true gift, speaking by the Holy Spirit. That person could only preach Christ according to the revelation of the mystery (Rom 16:25; Eph 3:8-9). If they did not, that would prove their tongues were demonic counterfeits even if the language spoken in was itself "miraculous" (one they speaker did not know).

Which gospel do you regard as false?

Peters or Pauls?

LA

Interplanner

You're not even asking the right question.

Tell us what preaching Christ according to the revelation of the mystery is. If you know the answer to that, that's the clue to the error in what you asked.

That is what is unpacked by the proper grammar of Eph 3:5. it was not that God was going to send redemption to the nations; that's very clear from the OT. It was that it came in the form of Christ, not the law. Ie, Christ = the Gospel. The grammar of v5 puts the weight of the shared blessings on 'through the Gospel.'

But this is a theological distinction that does not necessarily clear up the sign of tongues. The sign was to Israel (those in Judaism) to see that God was now sending the messianic Gospel to the nations. It was Israel who needed to see this happen as a confirmation. That's Paul's concern in I Cor 14 when going back to the Isaiah passage. The subjectivity of Corinthian tongues was an annoyance and he wanted them to see what the historic gift was there for to begin with.

Danoh

Ephesians 1 is both the redemption issue and its own, eternal purpose beyond salvation.

Ephesians 2 is mostly the salvation issue but does touch on God's eternal purpose - and that its' salvation is merely an aspect of.

Ephesians 3 forwards then begins to explore said eternal purpose in greater detail...

I shall have to continue to disagree with your understanding that God has merely expanded on His OT's mission.

Yours is merely the very argument of the Reformed school.

Which does not really "do the history" other than within its own notion of "the history."

Reformed's"doing the history" is more like reading of how the west was won in one of those politically correct history books the one sided obscuring of facts of which many still hold to as "the truth.

Which in the average Believer's perception via superstition ends up "the truth about our God inspired country..."

In the end, you are of the Reformed school - even when you are not going on about "doing the history" as your supposed basis.

It is what it is. You are too given over to that by now...

Respectfully,

Danoh

You're not even asking the right question.

Tell us what preaching Christ according to the revelation of the mystery is. If you know the answer to that, that's the clue to the error in what you asked.

Depends on which MADist one asks, as well.

Danoh

It's rather easy to find out who I was responding to in my post. Follow the yellow brick road...errrr, I mean click on the little blue arrow.

Then you'll know it's not about you.

:chuckle:

My point was not that it was or was aimed at me.

Rather, that whether or not it was, I"d not take it's attempted correction as a personal afront, if it had been aimed at me; because I don't take as a personal front being corrected on doctrine publicly.

I'd posted what I'd posted within that, as that was what I'd been talking about.

But you know what; reading what you said about that passage afterwards, it turns out your words will have to apply towards me after all :chuckle:

For now that you have made it clear you do not view that passage as part of Paul's gospel...

I do understand that passage as a mini version of Romans 1:16 thru 3:30.

But again attempt to correct away; I have yet to take issue with ANYONE'S attempted correction of me where doctrine is concerned.

I would only hurt my own learning and continuing refinement of my further understanding on one thing or another, no matter the source and or person...

I do consider you and STP two very, very sharp cookies.

I'm also well aware that I am one as well, and that this often makes for differences both in approach and results between fellow sharpies.

You may or may not agree; and that's fine too.

Just one more distinction my curiosity for learning from all things, negative or positive, can profit from in one positive way or another :)

heir

TOL Subscriber
For now that you have made it clear you do not view that passage as part of Paul's gospel...

I do understand that passage as a mini version of Romans 1:16 thru 3:30.
Nope. The ignorant, superstitious idolaters of Athens (Acts 17:18-21 KJV) would have had to go to the synagogue to "hear" Paul's preaching (Acts 17:1-2 KJV, Acts 17:27 KJV, Acts 17:30 KJV) as Paul’s sending at that time was directly related to whom salvation was sent at that time (Acts 13:16 KJV, Acts 13:26 KJV).