ECT Speaking in Tongues.

Lazy afternoon

LIFETIME MEMBER
LIFETIME MEMBER
Hi,

Some are saying, speaking in tongues in the Bible is ONLY the speaking in a language that people understand.

My question of them (who have no experience of speaking in tongues) is that Paul said that in the church one should not speak in tongues unless one interprets what is said, so why would there be a need to interpret the tongues if it was understood?

1Co 14:12 Even so ye, forasmuch as ye are zealous of spiritual gifts, seek that ye may excel to the edifying of the church.
1Co 14:13 Wherefore let him that speaketh in an unknown tongue pray that he may interpret.
1Co 14:14 For if I pray in an unknown tongue, my spirit prayeth, but my understanding is unfruitful.
1Co 14:15 What is it then? I will pray with the spirit, and I will pray with the understanding also: I will sing with the spirit, and I will sing with the understanding also.
1Co 14:16 Else when thou shalt bless with the spirit, how shall he that occupieth the room of the unlearned say Amen at thy giving of thanks, seeing he understandeth not what thou sayest?
1Co 14:17 For thou verily givest thanks well, but the other is not edified.
1Co 14:18 I thank my God, I speak with tongues more than ye all:

LA.

oatmeal

Hi,

Some are saying, speaking in tongues in the Bible is ONLY the speaking in a language that people understand.

My question of them (who have no experience of speaking in tongues) is that Paul said that in the church one should not speak in tongues unless one interprets what is said, so why would there be a need to interpret the tongues if it was understood?

1Co 14:12 Even so ye, forasmuch as ye are zealous of spiritual gifts, seek that ye may excel to the edifying of the church.
1Co 14:13 Wherefore let him that speaketh in an unknown tongue pray that he may interpret.
1Co 14:14 For if I pray in an unknown tongue, my spirit prayeth, but my understanding is unfruitful.
1Co 14:15 What is it then? I will pray with the spirit, and I will pray with the understanding also: I will sing with the spirit, and I will sing with the understanding also.
1Co 14:16 Else when thou shalt bless with the spirit, how shall he that occupieth the room of the unlearned say Amen at thy giving of thanks, seeing he understandeth not what thou sayest?

LA.

that is scripture

Since I Corinthians 13:1 states that when a person speaks in tongues it is either the tongue of angels or men, it is possible that if there was a foreigner present, they might hear someone speak in their native tongue.

It does happen, but that is not the norm, it is cool when it does, but that is rare.

Speaking in tongues is not for preaching.

It is perfect prayer and praise. Acts 2:11, I Corinthians 14:14

Angel4Truth

Hall of Fame
1 Corinthians 14:19 Yet in the church I had rather speak five words with my understanding, that by my voice I might teach others also, than ten thousand words in an unknown tongue.

meshak

BANNED
Banned
Hi,

LA.

This is Paul's teaching.

that's why I don't trust his teachings as authentic.

This is so self admiration too.

musterion

1 Corinthians 14:19Yet in the church I had rather speak five words with my understanding, that by my voice I might teach others also, than ten thousand words in an unknown tongue.

"IN the church," Paul would rather teach JUST FIVE WORDS than speak in tongues because tongues were intended as a sign for unbelievers, who you typically won't find every day in an established church. OUTSIDE the church, where unbelievers are, is where we SHOULD be hearing tongues.

But where today is the only place you will hear "tongues"? In pentecostal/charismatic/cult assemblies or packed-out Benny Hinn-type auditoriums that is mostly attended by people who already believe in tongues.

The very people the Bible says tongues are intended for, they avoid.

Grosnick Marowbe

Hall of Fame
This is Paul's teaching.

We don't trust that your silly looking hat :rotfl: is authentic either! Go
clean a park, it'll make the world a better place and shut you up for
awhile at the same time!

DAN P

Hi,

LA.

Hi and I grew up in PENTECOSTAL ASSEMBLY and it was confusion !

That is right that it is a Language that PEOPLE can understand as Acts 2:8 , you can not defend verse 9 , can you ?

Paul in 1 Cor 13:11 , the Holyt Spirit calls you all INFANTS or carnal Babies !!:rotfl::rotfl:

Why doe the Holy Spirit use the FUTURE TENSE 3 times in 1 Cor 13:8 as Profecies , Languages , and Knowlege are in the FUTURE TENSE , please explain ?

:bang::bang:

dan p

OCTOBER23

Right, that is why you need an interpreter for some of the people...

The Berean

I'll throw this out there. In 1 Corinthians 14 Paul is correcting and teaching the Corinthians about the proper use of the gift of tongues. This implies that the correct use of the gift of tongues was expected to be exhibited by the early Christians. So, who were these early Christians speaking in tongues to? :idunno:

Last edited:

TulipBee

BANNED
Banned
Hi,

LA.

Penticoastals do anything they want. What ever turns them on .

It draws lots of money.

TulipBee

BANNED
Banned
This is Paul's teaching.

Paul's teaching is very authentic but he was talking to those during his time and to certian people in certian cases.

The Penticoastals interpretated something that doesn't apply today. They renamed experiences that also happens in yoga, zen, Hindu and new age. They have the exact same experiences but they don't lie about like the charismatics do.

revpete

Hi,

LA.

Yes, they get it from Acts 2 where the statement is made about the mixed multitude gathered there heard the Apostles speak in their own language. They fail to distinguish between the initial outpouring of The Holy Spirit on the day of Pentecost and the gift of Speaking in tongues to edify the church. 1Cor. 14:2.

Lazy afternoon

LIFETIME MEMBER
LIFETIME MEMBER
Yes, they get it from Acts 2 where the statement is made about the mixed multitude gathered there heard the Apostles speak in their own language. They fail to distinguish between the initial outpouring of The Holy Spirit on the day of Pentecost and the gift of Speaking in tongues to edify the church. 1Cor. 14:2.

That is the best answer.

LA

Lazy afternoon

LIFETIME MEMBER
LIFETIME MEMBER
"IN the church," Paul would rather teach JUST FIVE WORDS than speak in tongues because tongues were intended as a sign for unbelievers, who you typically won't find every day in an established church. OUTSIDE the church, where unbelievers are, is where we SHOULD be hearing tongues.

But where today is the only place you will hear "tongues"? In pentecostal/charismatic/cult assemblies or packed-out Benny Hinn-type auditoriums that is mostly attended by people who already believe in tongues.

The very people the Bible says tongues are intended for, they avoid.

Prophecy is for unbelievers---

1Co 14:23 Therefore if the whole church comes together in one place, and all speak with tongues, and there come in those who are uninformed or unbelievers, will they not say that you are out of your mind?
1Co 14:24 But if all prophesy, and an unbeliever or an uninformed person comes in, he is convinced by all, he is convicted by all.
1Co 14:25 And thus the secrets of his heart are revealed; and so, falling down on his face, he will worship God and report that God is truly among you.

LA

Lazy afternoon

LIFETIME MEMBER
LIFETIME MEMBER
1 Corinthians 14:19 Yet in the church I had rather speak five words with my understanding, that by my voice I might teach others also, than ten thousand words in an unknown tongue.

Yes, but Paul said---

1Co 14:26 How is it then, brethren? Whenever you come together, each of you has a psalm, has a teaching, has a tongue, has a revelation, has an interpretation. Let all things be done for edification.
1Co 14:27 If anyone speaks in a tongue, let there be two or at the most three, each in turn, and let one interpret.

also--

1Co 14:2 For he who speaks in a tongue does not speak to men but to God, for no one understands him; however, in the spirit he speaks mysteries.

also--

1Co 14:13 Therefore let him who speaks in a tongue pray that he may interpret.
1Co 14:14 For if I pray in a tongue, my spirit prays, but my understanding is unfruitful.
1Co 14:15 What is the conclusion then? I will pray with the spirit, and I will also pray with the understanding. I will sing with the spirit, and I will also sing with the understanding.

and--

1Co 14:18 I thank my God I speak with tongues more than you all;

That is the teaching of PAUL.

Why reject Pauls teaching and not follow him??

1Co 14:39 Therefore, brethren, desire earnestly to prophesy, and do not forbid to speak with tongues.

LA