South Carolina Officer Is Charged With Murder in Black Man’s Death

shagster01

you think the cops assume that every agressive perp is unarmed? :freak:

no, there's plenty of videos showing fight from the perps - it usually ends badly for them

very badly

:freak: and do you really expect to find videos of cops fleeing from perps?

I'm talking about this particular case.

resodko

BANNED
Banned
The fact that the police so quickly arrested and charged this officer after viewing the complete video, is remarkable. Unless this guy was a known problem, for whom the department was trying to find a way to rid themselves of him, that's highly unusual.

Usually, a department is very reluctant to admit fault on the part of an officer. Which be a reasonable response. But the difference here, is striking, and seems to be driven by the evidence.

or other factors:

weather_forecast.php

Demographic

ferguson-riots-600.jpg

resodko

BANNED
Banned
A man was shot in the back in cold blood...

right

poor poor walter scott was just out jogging, minding his own business when that mean ol' racist officer slager snuck up on him and shot him in the back for no reason other than scott was black and slager was racist

:mock:annabananahead

Last edited:

CabinetMaker

Member of the 10 year club on TOL!!
Hall of Fame
ok, what should slager have done when scott had run and then disarmed him of his non-lethal weapon and then run again?

let scott go?
Yes. The officer had his ID. They knew where he lived so they could pick him up later. Eight shots in the back were murder.

chase scott some more and see if he can take slager's sidearm?
Let him go. He wasn't armed and there was another cop in the immediate area. Scott wasn't going anywhere.

Granite

Hall of Fame
The fact that the police so quickly arrested and charged this officer after viewing the complete video, is remarkable. Unless this guy was a known problem, for whom the department was trying to find a way to rid themselves of him, that's highly unusual.

Usually, a department is very reluctant to admit fault on the part of an officer. Which be a reasonable response. But the difference here, is striking, and seems to be driven by the evidence.

Agreed. They washed their hands of this guy because the shooting is simply too blatant and completely indefensible. Of course, it's just dumb luck Slager's being charged with murder at all.

resodko

BANNED
Banned
Yes. The officer had his ID.

slager had an ID

he had no way of knowing if it was a valid id for the guy holding it

They knew where he lived so they could pick him up later.

you think people who run from the police go home afterwards, pop open a cold one and turn on the game? :freak:

again, slager had no idea about the back story on this guy, whether he was an upstanding citizen or a gun-running drug smuggler

all he knew was that scott ran and resisted arrest

Eight shots in the back were murder.

what aspect of it makes it murder?

would it still be murder if it were fewer shots?

if so, then good

because only three shots went in the back

would it still be murder if they went in the front?

Let him go.

you want cops to let go potential threats to the citizenry?

He wasn't armed

how would slager have known that?

and there was another cop in the immediate area.

not seen in the video

Scott wasn't going anywhere.

sure looked like he was trying to go somewhere :idunno:

maybe you think he was just planning on jogging in a big circle when he got out of his car and ran

"be right back officer - gonna get me some cardio while you're running my ID :wave2: "

resodko

BANNED
Banned
Agreed. They washed their hands of this guy because the shooting is simply too blatant and completely indefensible. Of course, it's just dumb luck Slager's being charged with murder at all.

still too much of a coward to answer the question?

resodko

BANNED
Banned
You mean you wouldn't wait until he didn't have it and was running away?

maybe take a step back and see what he's gonna do? :chuckle:

i doubt very much that cops get trained to take a step back after losing control of their weapon

you do understand why slager was attempting to tase scott, right?

to get him on the ground, in cuffs

once scott made the decision to run, that was going to be the best possible outcome for him

shagster01

what aspect of it makes it murder?

would it still be murder if it were fewer shots?

if so, then good

because only three shots went in the back

And one more in the butt, which is still the back, and one more in the back of the ear, which is still the back. that's 5.

shagster01

maybe take a step back and see what he's gonna do? :chuckle:

i doubt very much that cops get trained to take a step back after losing control of their weapon

you do understand why slager was attempting to tase scott, right?

to get him on the ground, in cuffs

once scott made the decision to run, that was going to be the best possible outcome for him

If I pointed a taser at you, would you try to take it away?

resodko

BANNED
Banned
If I pointed a taser at you, would you try to take it away?

are you a cop that i'm running from?

sure - if i had made the choice to run, i would probably choose to fight

which would justify any escalation of force by the police

of course, i would never find myself in the position of running from the police

i learned that when i was young

how come scott never learned that?

Traditio

BANNED
Banned
Conservatives are all for government intervention when it's denying women the right to contraception and abortion, and denying gays the right to marry whom they choose, and denying the poor access to health care and food stamps...

I don't think you know what the word "intervention" means. You are playing with words, PureX. A is not interfering with B if A is simply not interacting with B or doing something for B. What you are saying is that A is interfering with B by not doing something for B. It's somehow government interference if the government doesn't fund these contraceptives, endorse that "marriage" or sign these food stamp checks.

Which is, of course...uh...sorry, but there's only one word for it: that's just stupid. No offense.

Lon

I don't believe there is enough video here to figure out anything... It is all atf as far as struggle goes. Nobody but the officers who saw it, has any idea what preceded.

Imo, it has to be a 'wait and see' scenario.

Angel4Truth

Hall of Fame
Ex-cop Michael Slager denied bond in shooting of Walter Scott on September 14, 2015 at 4:13 PM

A white former South Carolina police officer charged with murder in the shooting death of a black motorist won't be released before his trial.

Circuit Judge Clifton Newman on Monday denied bond for Michael Slager. In a brief order, he said releasing Slager would "constitute an unreasonable danger to the community."

The former North Charleston officer has been held in solitary confinement since his arrest on murder charges in the April 4 shooting death of Walter Scott.

A bystander's cellphone video showed Slager firing eight times as Scott tried to run from a traffic stop. The incident inflamed the national debate about how blacks are treated by law officers.

Prosecution and defense attorneys sparred over the bond question during a hearing Thursday and met again to discuss the case Friday.