Shooting at First Baptist Church in Texas

CabinetMaker

Member of the 10 year club on TOL!!
Hall of Fame
the-us-has-had-the-western-worlds-worst-rate-of-homicide-for-at-least-60-years.jpg

There is no question that the US has a extremely high homicide rate. The question is, is the homicide rate so high because of guns or because of people.

WatchmanOnTheWall

Plenty.
My theory is that murder is act that is carried out with many different weapons and sometimes no weapon at all. Do you deny this fact? According to you, your links even support this "theory." Please do explain why need more statistics to back up an obvious fact.

A gun is more likely to kill than a fist. Do you disagree with that?

A gun can kill at long range, a fist needs to be it very close quarters. Do you disagree with that?

Usually fights are resolved verbally from a distance and no one is even injured. Do you disagree with that?

But with guns fights are only going to end in death and or injury. Do you disagree with that?

Tambora

Get your armor ready!
LIFETIME MEMBER
Hall of Fame
You've not go the hang of this debating thing. Just want to sound off. Does it make you feel better?
ROFL!
Does it make you feel better that you are so uncaring that you wouldn't want your wife to be better protected?
You need to seriously work on prioritizing instead of sounding off with your "Gee, I WISH things had been different back then" as any sort of legitimate debate.

CabinetMaker

Member of the 10 year club on TOL!!
Hall of Fame
Not entirely no. A single punch can kill a person while many gun shoot wounds are not fatal.

A gun can kill at long range, a fist needs to be it very close quarters. Do you disagree with that?

Usually fights are resolved verbally from a distance and no one is even injured. Do you disagree with that?
Your use of the word "distance" lends some ambiguity to your statement. It is true that if an argument is resolved verbally then nobody is hurt regardless of distance.

But with guns fights are only going to end in death and or injury. Do you disagree with that?
Absolutely not. They may end with no shots fired to somebody getting killed. There is a wide range of possible outcomes between those two endpoints.

Question: Is a person more dead if they are killed with a gun than if they were killed by a punch?

Rusha

LIFETIME MEMBER
LIFETIME MEMBER
Hall of Fame
So how do you reduce that?

Harsher sentencing (and actual responses)... for ANY violent attack that does not include self-defense. A good start would be with domestic abuse on the first incident of harming their child or spouse.

WatchmanOnTheWall

ROFL!
Does it make you feel better that you are so uncaring that you wouldn't want your wife to be better protected?
You need to seriously work on prioritizing instead of sounding off with your "Gee, I WISH things had been different back then" as any sort of legitimate debate.

You have a strange obsession with this imaginary wife of mine? (I've told you twice I'm not married). Is this fixation something to do with your sounding off? Is your marriage okay? Or is it causing you such angst that you are not able to read properly and instead causes you to sound off all the time?

Tambora

Get your armor ready!
LIFETIME MEMBER
Hall of Fame
You still don't get it.

I am a woman.
And as tough as I think I might be, I have no delusions that pound per pound a man could not take me down easily.
I could punch my husband in the face as hard as I could and it might even be hard enough to at least stun him for a moment.
But if he were to hit me in the face as hard as he could it could kill me, or at least land me in the hospital.
You cannot seriously think that women can protect themselves from men with their fists.

WatchmanOnTheWall

Not entirely no. A single punch can kill a person while many gun shoot wounds are not fatal.

Your use of the word "distance" lends some ambiguity to your statement. It is true that if an argument is resolved verbally then nobody is hurt regardless of distance.

Absolutely not. They may end with no shots fired to somebody getting killed. There is a wide range of possible outcomes between those two endpoints.

Question: Is a person more dead if they are killed with a gun than if they were killed by a punch?

Would you prefer to be punched or shot?

WatchmanOnTheWall

You still don't get it.

I am a woman.
And as tough as I think I might be, I have no delusions that pound per pound a man could not take me down easily.
I could punch my husband in the face as hard as I could and it might even be hard enough to at least stun him for a moment.
But if he were to hit me in the face as hard as he could it could kill me, or at least land me in the hospital.
You cannot seriously think that women can protect themselves from men with their fists.

Would you prefer to be punched or shot?

Tambora

Get your armor ready!
LIFETIME MEMBER
Hall of Fame
You have a strange obsession with this imaginary wife of mine? (I've told you twice I'm not married). Is this fixation something to do with your sounding off? Is your marriage okay? Or is it causing you such angst that you are not able to read properly and instead causes you to sound off all the time?
You have a strange obsession with not reading properly where I included that your wife is hypothetical of any man that has a wife, and just sounding off as if that had never been established.
And you call that 'debating'?
ROFL!

WatchmanOnTheWall

You have a strange obsession with not reading properly where I included that your wife is hypothetical of any man that has a wife, and just sounding off as if that had never been established.
And you call that 'debating'?
ROFL!

Sorry, up to now I thought you we're a man. Now it all makes sense. So... umm

Do you prefer make up or shoes?

kmoney

Hall of Fame
One of the problem with a gun is that in the heat of a moment a person can grab one and do something that they never ever intended doing that ends with unintended consequences.
Right. This is why I think that when gun advocates say that taking away guns will just lead to homicides by other means miss the point. Yes there will still be crime but guns make it so much easier to inflict damage. People can make a split decision with terrible consequences in ways that don't apply to other things.

In the article I posted earlier it talked about a road rage incident where both people were carrying guns and they killed each other. Guns can escalate so quickly.