Seal Judgements and the Wrath of God

genuineoriginal

Can you tell us where Epiphanius received the source of his information,...after all,..he was not around when John wrote this book.
I really do not believe that you can answer that question.
He got it by studying, and his date is supported by the internal evidence of the book of Revelation.

You Quote:
The last seven years of Daniel's prophecy ended about 3-1/2 years after Messiah the Prince was cut off.

My Reply:
Oh! how so?
What has made you come to this conclusion,.....if you can,..please give a scripture that tells us this.
Daniel 9:27

genuineoriginal

Applying the accepted rule of interpretation and observing the text for the nearest antecedent of the pronoun he (without bias or influence by other "experts"), this he most closely parallels the prince who is to come in the previous passage (Daniel 9:26). This is the conclusion reached by most conservative evangelical commentaries, who go on to identify him as the Little Horn (Antichrist) who "came up among the (10) horns" of the fourth beast (fourth kingdom "Revived Rome") chapter 7 of Daniel (Da 7:8,11 Da 7:20, 21.
Looks pretty fishy, considering the prince is identified as Messiah the Prince.
You are now claiming that the antichrist is the Messiah, which is a falsehood.
The phrase "the people of the prince" in Daniel 9:26 is related grammatically to the phrase "thy people" in Daniel 9:24 and relates to the nearest antecedent of the pronoun prince found in Daniel 9:25, which is Messiah the prince.

benny balerio

He got it by studying, and his date is supported by the internal evidence of the book of Revelation.

For 30+ years after Jesus died, Jews participated in Temple sacrifices
Also temple sacrifices will continue during the millennium.

And my studying supports that John wrote the book of revelation around 95 AD..........Hmmm think about it.

The internal evidence of the book regarding the Roman Empire and the external testimony of the Church Fathers both point to a date of authorship around 95 A.D., 25 years after the destruction of Jerusalem in 70 A.D.

The type of widespread Roman persecution of the Church that is pictured in Revelation did not occur until the reign of Domitian (81-96 A.D.). The persecutions of Nero were limited to the area of Rome. One of the Church Fathers, Iranaeus (c.130-c.202), wrote that the book of Revelation was authored by the apostle John "toward the end of Domitian's reign." Irenaeus was discipled by Polycarp (c.70-c.155 A.D.) who, in turn, had been discipled directly by John himself.

genuineoriginal

Furthermore, when did Christ make a firm covenant with many Jews for one week (seven year period)? And how can it be said of Christ that “in the midst of the week” He caused the sacrifices to cease? Sacrifices continued in the Temple some 40 years after Messiah was cut off, well past the 7 years of the 70th Week. Clearly, the "he" is not Christ.
Jesus is the Christ, but the "he" referred to in the verse is not Jesus and is not some falsehood about an "Antichrist".

Let me walk you through the prophecy.

First, look at what book Daniel was reading.

Daniel 9:1-3
1In the first year of Darius the son of Ahasuerus, of the seed of the Medes, which was made king over the realm of the Chaldeans;
2In the first year of his reign I Daniel understood by books the number of the years, whereof the word of the LORD came to Jeremiah the prophet, that he would accomplish seventy years in the desolations of Jerusalem.
3And I set my face unto the Lord God, to seek by prayer and supplications, with fasting, and sackcloth, and ashes:​

Now look at where the 70 weeks prophecy came from, and answer who gave the commandment.

Daniel 9:20-23
20And whiles I was speaking, and praying, and confessing my sin and the sin of my people Israel, and presenting my supplication before the LORD my God for the holy mountain of my God;
21Yea, whiles I was speaking in prayer, even the man Gabriel, whom I had seen in the vision at the beginning, being caused to fly swiftly, touched me about the time of the evening oblation.
22And he informed me, and talked with me, and said, O Daniel, I am now come forth to give thee skill and understanding.
23At the beginning of thy supplications the commandment came forth, and I am come to shew thee; for thou art greatly beloved: therefore understand the matter, and consider the vision.​

The "he" in Daniel 9:27 is the person that gave the commandment in 9:23. The "he" is none other than the LORD God.

27And he shall confirm the covenant with many for one week: and in the midst of the week he shall cause the sacrifice and the oblation to cease, and for the overspreading of abominations he shall make it desolate, even until the consummation, and that determined shall be poured upon the desolate.​

What is the covenant the LORD God will confirm with many? (Please note that it is written in the book that Daniel was reading when he started his prayer).

Jeremiah 31:31-34
31Behold, the days come, saith the LORD, that I will make a new covenant with the house of Israel, and with the house of Judah:
32Not according to the covenant that I made with their fathers in the day that I took them by the hand to bring them out of the land of Egypt; which my covenant they brake, although I was an husband unto them, saith the LORD:
33But this shall be the covenant that I will make with the house of Israel; After those days, saith the LORD, I will put my law in their inward parts, and write it in their hearts; and will be their God, and they shall be my people.
34And they shall teach no more every man his neighbour, and every man his brother, saying, Know the LORD: for they shall all know me, from the least of them unto the greatest of them, saith the LORD: for I will forgive their iniquity, and I will remember their sin no more.​

How does the LORD God confirm His covenant with many for one week?

Matthew 4:23
And Jesus went about all Galilee, teaching in their synagogues, and preaching the gospel of the kingdom, and healing all manner of sickness and all manner of disease among the people.​

Matthew 26:28
For this is my blood of the new testament, which is shed for many for the remission of sins.​

How did the LORD God cause the sacrifice and the oblation to cease?

Hebrews 10:9-14
9Then said he, Lo, I come to do thy will, O God. He taketh away the first, that he may establish the second.
10By the which will we are sanctified through the offering of the body of Jesus Christ once for all.
11And every priest standeth daily ministering and offering oftentimes the same sacrifices, which can never take away sins:
12But this man, after he had offered one sacrifice for sins for ever, sat down on the right hand of God;
13From henceforth expecting till his enemies be made his footstool.
14For by one offering he hath perfected for ever them that are sanctified.​

What is the proof that the sacrifice and oblation ceased with the death of Jesus?
Talmud - Yoma 39b
Our Rabbis taught: During the last forty years before the destruction of the Temple the lot [‘For the Lord’] did not come up in the right hand; nor did the crimson-coloured strap become white; nor did the westernmost light shine;​

What is the LORD God's response to the overspreading of the abominations that the children of Israel were to repent from?

27And he shall confirm the covenant with many for one week: and in the midst of the week he shall cause the sacrifice and the oblation to cease, and for the overspreading of abominations he shall make it desolate, even until the consummation, and that determined shall be poured upon the desolate.​

Luke 13:34-35
34O Jerusalem, Jerusalem, which killest the prophets, and stonest them that are sent unto thee; how often would I have gathered thy children together, as a hen doth gather her brood under her wings, and ye would not!
35Behold, your house is left unto you desolate: and verily I say unto you, Ye shall not see me, until the time come when ye shall say, Blessed is he that cometh in the name of the Lord.​

benny balerio

The phrase "the people of the prince" in Daniel 9:26 is related grammatically to the phrase "thy people" in Daniel 9:24 and relates to the nearest antecedent of the pronoun prince found in Daniel 9:25, which is Messiah the prince.

It is interesting that both Christ and Antichrist are referred to as "prince" (synonymous with "king"), for the prefix "anti-" means the regal imposter is not only opposed to or against Christ, but "instead of" or a substitute for the real Christ.

You Quote:

My Reply:
No,LOL....If you carefully read my replies,..you may come to realize that it is you who have mistakenly claimed that the messiah Christ Jesus had in the past confirmed a 7 year covenant.

But the truth is,..the Lord has made an everlasting covenant,..and has never made one for only 7 years and then broke His covenant.:)

And again if you read carefully to your own statements,...you would realize that you are suggesting that the Jews(Daniels people) are identified as "The people of the prince to come"....so in essance,...you are really stating that it was the Jews who destroyed their own city,...seems you have backed yourself up against a wall.

genuineoriginal

For 30+ years after Jesus died, Jews participated in Temple sacrifices
Also temple sacrifices will continue during the millennium.
Yep. What do you think that proves?
And my studying supports that John wrote the book of revelation around 95 AD..........Hmmm think about it.
And my studying supports that John wrote the book of Revelation before the destruction of the Temple in 70 CE.........Hmmm think about it.

genuineoriginal

It is interesting that both Christ and Antichrist are referred to as "prince" (synonymous with "king"), for the prefix "anti-" means the regal imposter is not only opposed to or against Christ, but "instead of" or a substitute for the real Christ.
Nowhere in the Bible is the "Antichrist" a person, nor is the "Antichrist" referred to as a "prince". Your position is unsupportable.

You Quote:

My Reply:
No,LOL....If you carefully read my replies,..you may come to realize that it is you who have mistakenly claimed that the messiah Christ Jesus had in the past confirmed a 7 year covenant.
No, I did not claim that.

But the truth is,..the Lord has made an everlasting covenant,..and has never made one for only 7 years and then broke His covenant.:)
You are adding "broke His covenant" into the verse, similar to adding "neither shall ye touch it" to "Ye shall not eat of it".
Don't be so careless with the prophecies, since they are fulfilled as written.

And again if you read carefully to your own statements,...you would realize that you are suggesting that the Jews(Daniels people) are identified as "The people of the prince to come"....so in essance,...you are really stating that it was the Jews who destroyed their own city,...seems you have backed yourself up against a wall.
Yes. That is exactly what I am saying. The Jews destroyed their own city through unrepentance. God gave them 490 years to stop their abominations and repent. During the last 7 years of that time period John the immerser preached repentance, Jesus preached repentance, and the Disciples preached repentance. But the Jews would not repent and the last recorded act of rebellion to God by the Jews during the 490 years was the stoning of Stephen.

benny balerio

Jesus is the Christ, but the "he" referred to in the verse is not Jesus and is not some falsehood about an "Antichrist".

Let me walk you through the prophecy.

First, look at what book Daniel was reading.

Daniel 9:1-3
1In the first year of Darius the son of Ahasuerus, of the seed of the Medes, which was made king over the realm of the Chaldeans;
2In the first year of his reign I Daniel understood by books the number of the years, whereof the word of the LORD came to Jeremiah the prophet, that he would accomplish seventy years in the desolations of Jerusalem.
3And I set my face unto the Lord God, to seek by prayer and supplications, with fasting, and sackcloth, and ashes:​

Now look at where the 70 weeks prophecy came from, and answer who gave the commandment.

Daniel 9:20-23
20And whiles I was speaking, and praying, and confessing my sin and the sin of my people Israel, and presenting my supplication before the LORD my God for the holy mountain of my God;
21Yea, whiles I was speaking in prayer, even the man Gabriel, whom I had seen in the vision at the beginning, being caused to fly swiftly, touched me about the time of the evening oblation.
22And he informed me, and talked with me, and said, O Daniel, I am now come forth to give thee skill and understanding.
23At the beginning of thy supplications the commandment came forth, and I am come to shew thee; for thou art greatly beloved: therefore understand the matter, and consider the vision.​

The "he" in Daniel 9:27 is the person that gave the commandment in 9:23. The "he" is none other than the LORD God.

What is the covenant the LORD God will confirm with many? (Please note that it is written in the book that Daniel was reading when he started his prayer).

Jeremiah 31:31-34
31Behold, the days come, saith the LORD, that I will make a new covenant with the house of Israel, and with the house of Judah:
32Not according to the covenant that I made with their fathers in the day that I took them by the hand to bring them out of the land of Egypt; which my covenant they brake, although I was an husband unto them, saith the LORD:
33But this shall be the covenant that I will make with the house of Israel; After those days, saith the LORD, I will put my law in their inward parts, and write it in their hearts; and will be their God, and they shall be my people.
34And they shall teach no more every man his neighbour, and every man his brother, saying, Know the LORD: for they shall all know me, from the least of them unto the greatest of them, saith the LORD: for I will forgive their iniquity, and I will remember their sin no more.​

How does the LORD God confirm His covenant with many for one week?

Matthew 4:23
And Jesus went about all Galilee, teaching in their synagogues, and preaching the gospel of the kingdom, and healing all manner of sickness and all manner of disease among the people.​

Matthew 26:28
For this is my blood of the new testament, which is shed for many for the remission of sins.​

How did the LORD God cause the sacrifice and the oblation to cease?

Hebrews 10:9-14
9Then said he, Lo, I come to do thy will, O God. He taketh away the first, that he may establish the second.
10By the which will we are sanctified through the offering of the body of Jesus Christ once for all.
11And every priest standeth daily ministering and offering oftentimes the same sacrifices, which can never take away sins:
12But this man, after he had offered one sacrifice for sins for ever, sat down on the right hand of God;
13From henceforth expecting till his enemies be made his footstool.
14For by one offering he hath perfected for ever them that are sanctified.​

What is the proof that the sacrifice and oblation ceased with the death of Jesus?
Talmud - Yoma 39b
Our Rabbis taught: During the last forty years before the destruction of the Temple the lot [‘For the Lord’] did not come up in the right hand; nor did the crimson-coloured strap become white; nor did the westernmost light shine;​

What is the LORD God's response to the overspreading of the abominations that the children of Israel were to repent from?

Luke 13:34-35
34O Jerusalem, Jerusalem, which killest the prophets, and stonest them that are sent unto thee; how often would I have gathered thy children together, as a hen doth gather her brood under her wings, and ye would not!
35Behold, your house is left unto you desolate: and verily I say unto you, Ye shall not see me, until the time come when ye shall say, Blessed is he that cometh in the name of the Lord.​

You Quote:

27And he shall confirm the covenant with many for one week: and in the midst of the week he shall cause the sacrifice and the oblation to cease, and for the overspreading of abominations he shall make it desolate, even until the consummation, and that determined shall be poured upon the desolate.

My Reply:
No,..it is referring to the AC,...and once again,...the Lord never has and never will make a covenant for only a period of 7 years.
His covenant is everlasting.
Being that this is true,...the person "HE"...in Daniel 9;27 is not the Messiah Christ Jesus.Mind you that this prophecy is still future>
The Lord would not completely do away with animal sacrifices,..this is evident because scripture reveals animal sacifices in the millennium.

Daniel 9:25–27 mentions two princes and one covenant. If we keep reading, we come to Daniel 11:21–23:

And in his estate shall stand up a vile person, to whom they shall not give the honour of the kingdom: but he shall come in peaceably, and obtain the kingdom by flatteries. And with the arms of a flood shall they be overflown from before him, and shall be broken; yea, also the prince of the covenant. And after the league made with him he shall work deceitfully: for he shall come up, and shall become strong with a small people.
When it says, "the prince of the covenant," to what prince does it refer? To what covenant? It most likely refers back to chapter 9.

The Bible interprets itself. You can read all the commentaries in the world, both preterist and futurist. And you can learn a lot from doing that. But after you've read them all, which one do you believe? The commentary of Daniel itself is most reliable.

The commentary in Daniel 11:22 reveals which prince is the prince of the covenant. The English translation seems to say that the prince of the covenant shall be broken. That means broken in battle according to the context. If I understand the Hebrew correctly, yea, also can also be translated yea, even. If that's true, the prince could be the one doing the breaking instead of the one being broken. Either way, whether broken in battle or breaking in battle, this prince is not Messiah the prince, because Messiah does not participate in this battle.

If my suggested translation is correct, then Daniel's prince of the covenant in 11:22 is the vile person of 11:21, the one who is against the holy covenant in 11:28. Preterists and futurists agree that this person in history turned out to be Antiochus Epiphanes (in power from 175–164 BC). Futurists believe he is a type of antichrist to come. That means the prince of the covenant in chapter 11, if not exactly the same prince as in chapter 9, at least may be a type of the prince in chapter 9.

But however you identify the prince, whether he's the vile person or not, whether he's a type of antichrist or not, this much is clear: calling him the prince of the covenant (Daniel 11:22) distinguishes him from Messiah the prince (Daniel 9:25). Each prince has his own designation in order to tell them apart. Of the two princes, Daniel 11 tells us which one is associated with the covenant.

chapter 11 provides a commentary on the covenant and on the covenant confirmer. "The prince of the covenant" in chapter 11 likely references "the prince that shall come" in chapter 9. Having examined the context, now let's examine the words and grammar relating to the prince that shall come.

And after threescore and two weeks shall Messiah be cut off, but not for himself: and the people of the prince that shall come shall destroy the city and the sanctuary; and the end thereof shall be with a flood, and unto the end of the war desolations are determined (Daniel 9:26).
In this verse, "The people of the prince that shall come" is a most fascinating phrase. We would expect it to say, "a prince shall come and destroy the city." But no. The people destroy the city, and the prince is...."YET".....to come. If the people destroy the city, then what does the prince do when he comes? The next verse tells us:

And he shall confirm the covenant with many for one week: and in the midst of the week he shall cause the sacrifice and the oblation to cease, and for the overspreading of abominations he shall make it desolate, even until the consummation, and that determined shall be poured upon the desolate. (Daniel 9:27)

benny balerio

Yep. What do you think that proves?

And my studying supports that John wrote the book of Revelation before the destruction of the Temple in 70 CE.........Hmmm think about it.

Simply that you are attempting to use Daniel 9;27 as fulfilled in the past which is incorrect.
If it were as you claimed,..then sacrifices would have ceased the moment Jesus died on the cross,...but animal sacrifices did continue years after the cutting off.....and sacrifices will continue again in the first 3 1/2 years of Daniels 70th week and also into the millennium.

If the confirming of the covenant were truly finished at the end of the week, then why isn't it one of the six stated goals of the seventy weeks?"
Daniel 9:26, remember, places the cutting off of Messiah after sixty-nine weeks, before the mention of the seventieth week,

genuineoriginal

You Quote:

27And he shall confirm the covenant with many for one week: and in the midst of the week he shall cause the sacrifice and the oblation to cease, and for the overspreading of abominations he shall make it desolate, even until the consummation, and that determined shall be poured upon the desolate.

My Reply:
No,..it is referring to the AC,...and once again,...the Lord never has and never will make a covenant for only a period of 7 years.
His covenant is everlasting.
The verse does not say the LORD God will make a covenant for only a period of 7 years.
You missed a word.
I highlighted it for you.

benny balerio

The verse does not say the LORD God will make a covenant for only a period of 7 years.
You missed a word.
I highlighted it for you.

The Word corfirm means "to make strong"

The covenant that the Lord made with mankind is as strong as it is going to get,...on the cross,..He said...It is Finished!

genuineoriginal

Daniel 9:25–27 mentions two princes and one covenant. If we keep reading, we come to Daniel 11:21–23:

And in his estate shall stand up a vile person, to whom they shall not give the honour of the kingdom: but he shall come in peaceably, and obtain the kingdom by flatteries. And with the arms of a flood shall they be overflown from before him, and shall be broken; yea, also the prince of the covenant. And after the league made with him he shall work deceitfully: for he shall come up, and shall become strong with a small people.
When it says, "the prince of the covenant," to what prince does it refer? To what covenant? It most likely refers back to chapter 9.

If my suggested translation is correct, then Daniel's prince of the covenant in 11:22 is the vile person of 11:21, the one who is against the holy covenant in 11:28.
The vile person of 11:21 overthrows all before him, including the prince of the covenant, so they are not the same person.
Since the vile person is Antiochus Epiphanes, the prince of the covenant in that prophecy cannot be Messiah the prince in the 70 weeks prophecy, since Messiah the prince is not revealed until after the 69th week. So, there is another person, the prince of the covenant, who was probably related to political covenants made at that time, not God's covenants.

I Maccabees 1:10-11
1:10 And there came out of them a wicked root Antiochus surnamed Epiphanes, son of Antiochus the king, who had been an hostage at Rome, and he reigned in the hundred and thirty and seventh year of the kingdom of the Greeks.
1:11 In those days went there out of Israel wicked men, who persuaded many, saying, Let us go and make a covenant with the heathen that are round about us: for since we departed from them we have had much sorrow.​

genuineoriginal

The Word corfirm means "to make strong"

The covenant that the Lord made with mankind is as strong as it is going to get,...on the cross,..He said...It is Finished!

My point is that the verse states it is the confirming that takes place during a seven year period, not that a covenant is made for only seven years.

genuineoriginal

Simply that you are attempting to use Daniel 9;27 as fulfilled in the past which is incorrect.
No, I am correctly stating that the seventy weeks of the prophecy finished a few years after Jesus was crucified. The rest of Daniel 9:27, the consequences for not repenting, began after the conclusion of the seventy weeks.
If it were as you claimed,..then sacrifices would have ceased the moment Jesus died on the cross,...but animal sacrifices did continue years after the cutting off.....and sacrifices will continue again in the first 3 1/2 years of Daniels 70th week and also into the millennium.
No, Daniel's 70th week ended about 40 years before the temple was destroyed but animal sacrifices continued in the temple until it was destroyed. Another temple will be built before the return of Jesus and animal sacrifices will happen again in that temple and throughout the milennium.
The problem is that a specific sacrifice and oblation ceased to be required, and that sacrifice and oblation was the Yom Kippur sacrifice and oblation that was replaced by the sacrifice of Jesus. This is proved by the fact that the Yom Kippur sacrifice after the death of Jesus never resulted in the red strap turning white during that time.
If the confirming of the covenant were truly finished at the end of the week, then why isn't it one of the six stated goals of the seventy weeks?"
The six stated requirements were the ones Daniel's people were to do, not something God was planning on doing.
Daniel 9:26, remember, places the cutting off of Messiah after sixty-nine weeks, before the mention of the seventieth week,
Yep. After the sixty-ninth week and before the end of the seventy weeks places the cutting off of Messiah the prince in the seventieth week of the prophecy.

benny balerio

The vile person of 11:21 overthrows all before him, including the prince of the covenant, so they are not the same person.
Since the vile person is Antiochus Epiphanes, the prince of the covenant in that prophecy cannot be Messiah the prince in the 70 weeks prophecy, since Messiah the prince is not revealed until after the 69th week. So, there is another person, the prince of the covenant, who was probably related to political covenants made at that time, not God's covenants.

I Maccabees 1:10-11
1:10 And there came out of them a wicked root Antiochus surnamed Epiphanes, son of Antiochus the king, who had been an hostage at Rome, and he reigned in the hundred and thirty and seventh year of the kingdom of the Greeks.
1:11 In those days went there out of Israel wicked men, who persuaded many, saying, Let us go and make a covenant with the heathen that are round about us: for since we departed from them we have had much sorrow.​

You Quote:

My Reply:
Yes that is correct,..it is not the Messiah,..but Antiochus Epiphanes is a former shadowtype of the coming antichrist.
Kalah is used to describe Antiochus Epiphanes in chapter 11...

But he who comes against him will do as he pleases, and no one will be able to withstand him; he will also stay for a time in the Beautiful Land, with destruction in his hand. (Da 11:16)

One that is decreed - This is God's decree, for He is in full control even in the face of the incredible death and destruction caused by the Antichrist.

Decreed (02782) (charats/haras) means to cut, sharpen, decide, decree, determine. In Da 9:26 it is translated determined speaking of the fate of Jerusalem until the end. See similar use in Isa 10:22, 23.

Decree - 12x in 12v - Ex 11:7; Lev 22:22; Josh 10:21; 2Sa 5:24; 1Kgs 20:40; Job 14:5; Isa 10:22, 23; 28:22; Da 9:26, 27; 11:36. NAS = act promptly(1), bark*(1), decided(1), decisive(1), decreed(3), determined(3), maimed(1), uttered(1).

In Daniel 11 charats/haras is used in the description of the future Antichrist...

Then the king (Antichrist) will do as he pleases, and he will exalt and magnify himself above every god (cf 2Th 2:3,4) and will speak monstrous things against the God of gods (cf Da 7:25-note "speak out against the Most High", Rev 13:5-note, Rev 13:6-note); and he will prosper until the indignation is finished (The time of Jacob's distress - Jer 30:7, the Great Tribulation - Mt 24:15), for that which is decreed will be done. (Da 11:36)

Comment: That which is decreed (cut) indicates once again that God is in control of time and all history. These events that will transpire during the last 3.5 years of Daniel's Seventieth Week will come to pass because this is God's will and plan for Israel at the end of this present age.

The one who makes desolate - This is the Antichrist and describes his defilement of the Holy Temple either by declaring himself God and/or placing an image of himself in the Holy of Holies and commanding the world to worship him as divine.

Desolate (08074) (shamem/samem) describes desolation caused by some great disaster, usually a result of divine judgment.

Shamem/samem is used repeatedly in this last section of Daniel in which God presents His "outline" for the nation of Israel - See Da 8:13, 27; Da 9:18, 26, Da 9:27; Da 11:31; Da 12:11

How does Antichrist make desolate? We have already seen that he stands in the Temple and blasphemously declares himself to be god (2Th 2:3, 4) and thus he becomes the ultimate abomination (idol). Furthermore, the Antichrist makes desolate by desecrating the Temple as he sets up an idol of himself in the holy place reserved solely for Jehovah (Rev 13:4-15-notes- Rev 13:4; 5; 6; 7; 8; 9; 10; 11; 12; 13; 14; 15)

From this verse we can see that the one who makes desolate is the same one who made and then broke the seven year covenant, the Antichrist whom Jesus warned (Mt 24:15,21) The breaking of the covenant and desolation of the temple will signal the beginning of the end of this age, the times of the Gentiles and the onset of the last three and one-half years of God's wrath as described in Revelation, beginning in Re 11:14 through Revelation 19:21.

genuineoriginal

You Quote:

My Reply:
Yes that is correct,..it is not the Messiah,..but Antiochus Epiphanes is a former shadowtype of the coming antichrist.
Kalah is used to describe Antiochus Epiphanes in chapter 11...

But he who comes against him will do as he pleases, and no one will be able to withstand him; he will also stay for a time in the Beautiful Land, with destruction in his hand. (Da 11:16)

One that is decreed - This is God's decree, for He is in full control even in the face of the incredible death and destruction caused by the Antichrist.

Decreed (02782) (charats/haras) means to cut, sharpen, decide, decree, determine. In Da 9:26 it is translated determined speaking of the fate of Jerusalem until the end. See similar use in Isa 10:22, 23.

Decree - 12x in 12v - Ex 11:7; Lev 22:22; Josh 10:21; 2Sa 5:24; 1Kgs 20:40; Job 14:5; Isa 10:22, 23; 28:22; Da 9:26, 27; 11:36. NAS = act promptly(1), bark*(1), decided(1), decisive(1), decreed(3), determined(3), maimed(1), uttered(1).

In Daniel 11 charats/haras is used in the description of the future Antichrist...

Then the king (Antichrist) will do as he pleases, and he will exalt and magnify himself above every god (cf 2Th 2:3,4) and will speak monstrous things against the God of gods (cf Da 7:25-note "speak out against the Most High", Rev 13:5-note, Rev 13:6-note); and he will prosper until the indignation is finished (The time of Jacob's distress - Jer 30:7, the Great Tribulation - Mt 24:15), for that which is decreed will be done. (Da 11:36)

Comment: That which is decreed (cut) indicates once again that God is in control of time and all history. These events that will transpire during the last 3.5 years of Daniel's Seventieth Week will come to pass because this is God's will and plan for Israel at the end of this present age.

The one who makes desolate - This is the Antichrist and describes his defilement of the Holy Temple either by declaring himself God and/or placing an image of himself in the Holy of Holies and commanding the world to worship him as divine.

Desolate (08074) (shamem/samem) describes desolation caused by some great disaster, usually a result of divine judgment.

Shamem/samem is used repeatedly in this last section of Daniel in which God presents His "outline" for the nation of Israel - See Da 8:13, 27; Da 9:18, 26, Da 9:27; Da 11:31; Da 12:11

How does Antichrist make desolate? We have already seen that he stands in the Temple and blasphemously declares himself to be god (2Th 2:3, 4) and thus he becomes the ultimate abomination (idol). Furthermore, the Antichrist makes desolate by desecrating the Temple as he sets up an idol of himself in the holy place reserved solely for Jehovah (Rev 13:4-15-notes- Rev 13:4; 5; 6; 7; 8; 9; 10; 11; 12; 13; 14; 15)

From this verse we can see that the one who makes desolate is the same one who made and then broke the seven year covenant, the Antichrist whom Jesus warned (Mt 24:15,21) The breaking of the covenant and desolation of the temple will signal the beginning of the end of this age, the times of the Gentiles and the onset of the last three and one-half years of God's wrath as described in Revelation, beginning in Re 11:14 through Revelation 19:21.

Congratulations, you are doing quite well in studying and making sure that you can find scriptural support for the teachings that have spread about a seven year tribulation and a future antichrist.

That is a lot more than just swallowing it hook, line, and sinker like most people do. (They think if Timothy LaHaye said it, it must be true).

Please do not allow yourself to get upset at my constant challenges to the things you have been taught, but continue to study to find the truth.

I spent many years believing in the seven-year tribulation, the antichrist, and two returns of Jesus (the rapture and the real return).

I now believe in two tribulations (Day of the Lord), one on the children of Israel that lasts for thousands of years and a second one on the nations followed by one return of Jesus. The reign of the beast (son of perdition) is at the time of the tribulation on the nations.

genuineoriginal

Daniel 11 has nothing to do with a future Antichrist.
The thing decreed, the Great Tribulation (Daniel 12:1) does happen to the children of Israel following the seventy weeks because of their failure to repent during the allotted time.

God used the time between the end of the seventy weeks and the beginning of the Great Tribulation to begin the conversion of the Gentiles to the Gospel. The Great Tribulation is the time of the Gentiles, and ends with the restoration of Israel.

benny balerio

No, I am correctly stating that the seventy weeks of the prophecy finished a few years after Jesus was crucified. The rest of Daniel 9:27, the consequences for not repenting, began after the conclusion of the seventy weeks.

No, Daniel's 70th week ended about 40 years before the temple was destroyed but animal sacrifices continued in the temple until it was destroyed. Another temple will be built before the return of Jesus and animal sacrifices will happen again in that temple and throughout the milennium.
The problem is that a specific sacrifice and oblation ceased to be required, and that sacrifice and oblation was the Yom Kippur sacrifice and oblation that was replaced by the sacrifice of Jesus. This is proved by the fact that the Yom Kippur sacrifice after the death of Jesus never resulted in the red strap turning white during that time.

The six stated requirements were the ones Daniel's people were to do, not something God was planning on doing.

Yep. After the sixty-ninth week and before the end of the seventy weeks places the cutting off of Messiah the prince in the seventieth week of the prophecy.

First you Quote:
No, I am correctly stating that the seventy weeks of the prophecy finished a few years after Jesus was crucified

Then you contradict your quote by stating:
"since Messiah the prince is not revealed until after the 69th week."

You See,..you originally claimed that the 70 weeks began with the ministry of Jesus.

Now about the six stated requirements:
(1) TO FINISH THE TRANSGRESSION: (Mt 1:21; 1Jn 3:8) "to let wrongdoing be complete",.... Literally "to restrain firmly the transgression " "Bring the rebellion by Israel against divine authority to completion", "to consummate transgression"

The idea is to bring the transgression of "Thy people" and "Thy holy city" to a final stopping point during or at the end of the 490 years. Note that even after 70 years in captivity, the Jews had not repented and become obedient to Jehovah and the Mosaic Covenant.
Israel's rebellion as a nation will be finally restrained at the Second Coming of the Messiah when a remnant will turn to Him in faith and the nation’s transgression and sins will be forgiven.
it will come about in all the land (of Israel)...that two parts in it will be cut off (karath = same verb used in Da 9:26 to describe the crucifixion of Messiah) and perish, but the third will be left in it (the "elect" and believing remnant). And I will bring the third part through the fire, refine them as silver is refined, and test them as gold is tested. They will call on My name, and I will answer them; I will say, 'They are My people,' (a component of the New Covenant promised to Israel - see Jer 31:33, 32:38) and they will say, 'The LORD is my God.' (Zech 13:8, 9)
Transgression (06588) (pesha') means to rebel, revolt or to rise up in clear defiance to authority by violation of a law, command, or duty. The fundamental idea is a breach of relationship (civil or religious) between two parties. Pesha' speaks of willful sins. And so the first item in God's program is to bring Israel's rebellion against Him to an end.

This (finish the transgression) was the first and most important item on the list. Keep in mind the fact that this was a national "transgression" since the prophecy has to do with Daniel's "people." Observe also that the definite article (Ed: "the") appeared in the text: "the transgression." The central theme in Daniel's prayer was the transgression of his people, a transgression which was to culminate in "the transgression." The word "transgression" combines the idea of rejection and apostasy "In classical Greek, apostasy signified revolt from a military commander"), so that the transgression would be Israel's final rejection of Messiah. The final putting away or "finishing" this transgression is still future for the Jews.

TO MAKE AN END OF SIN: (Lam 4:22; Col 2:14; Heb 9:26; 10:14) (Ezek 28:12) - to seal up sins
So the idea of to make an end of sin is to bring (Israel's) sins under full restraint (as will occur when all Israel is saved at the end of the Great Tribulation punctuated by the return of the Messiah - Rev 19:11-21-note) Thus only redeemed, regenerate, born again Jewish men and women will enter the Messianic Kingdom (Millennial Kingdom) and although they will not be perfect (they are not yet glorified), because they are all saved, they will demonstrate restraint of sins (cp Ezek 36:26, 27 - the Spirit will give them the power to say "no" to sins).
"For this is My covenant unto them, when I shall take away their sins" (Romans 11:27).

During Christ's reign on earth, which follows immediately after the seventieth week, the devil himself is "shut up" or sealed in the bottomless pit (Revelation 20:1, 2, 3). In that day sin will have run its course in Israel and will be locked up, never to do its evil work again. Thank God for that coming day when sin shall not break forth again.
Ezekiel records that when Christ returns and inaugurates His New Covenant with Israel, they

will no longer defile themselves with their idols, or with their detestable things, or with any of their transgressions; but I will deliver them from all their dwelling places in which they have sinned, and will cleanse them. And they will be My people, and I will be their God. (Ezekiel 37:23)

At the termination of these 490 years God adds

Moreover, I will give you a new heart and put a new spirit within you; and I will remove the heart of stone from your flesh and give you a heart of flesh. And I will put My Spirit within you and cause you to walk in My statutes, (God's empowerment and enablement) and you will be careful to observe My ordinances (Israel's responsibility). (Ezekiel 36:26, 27)

At that time, the Jews entering the Millennial Kingdom with a "new heart" will have the supernatural "power" to restrain their sins in everyday life. Matthew had prophesied that a virgin named Mary would

bear a Son; and you shall call His name Jesus, for it is He who will save His people from their sins. (Mt 1:21)

TO MAKE ATONEMENT FOR INIQUITY: (Lv 8:15; 2Chr 29:24; Is 53:10; Ro 5:10; 2Co 5:18, 19, 20; Col 1:20; He 2:17)
Jesus, Messiah the Prince, made His atonement available for the sin of Israel when He died on the Cross, but the efficacy of His atonement will not actually be realized by Israel as a nation until the individual Jews in Israel personally appropriate God's gracious gift by receiving Jesus as their Messiah, Redeemer and Savior. When will this great event occur?

In Hosea God says...

I will go away and return to My place until they acknowledge their guilt and seek My face; In their affliction (What affliction? In a general sense affliction is one of God's ways to drive us to seek Him. In a more specific sense regarding Israel, the affliction surely speaks of the coming time of Jacob's distress Jer 30:7 synonymous with the Great Tribulation Mt 24:21) they will earnestly seek Me (Genuine Repentance - cf Hos 6:1,2, 3). (Hos 5:15) (compare with Jesus' words in Mt 23:39)

TO BRING IN EVERLASTING RIGHTEOUSNESS: (Isaiah 51:6,8; 53:11; 56:1; Je 23:5,6; Ro 3:21,22; 1Co 1:30; 2Co 5:21; Php 3:9; He 9:12, 13, 14; 2Pe 1:1; Re 14:6) "righteousness of ages" (Literal)
People cannot make themselves righteous or establish the kingdom; that is God’s doing. Indeed, Daniel had earlier prayed, “Righteousness belongs to Thee, O Lord..” (Da 9:7). “The essential idea in the language is, that this would be introduced by the Messiah [by His appearance and being cut off- Da 9:25, 26]; that is, that He would be its author.
After centuries of apostasy, the redeemed nation of Israel ("all...saved" - Ro 11:25, 26, 27-note) will practice righteousness under the leadership of their Righteous Branch, the Messiah (Jer 23:5, 33:15, Isa 51:6, 7, 8, read Ps 85:13, Ps 96:13, Ps 97:2)
At Messiah's return the "elect" in Israel will believe in the Messiah and will receive His righteousness by faith and will be enabled by virtue of their New Covenant relationship (promised initially to Israel during Babylonian captivity - see Jer 31:31, 32, 33, 34, compare Ezek 36:26, 27 = new heart, etc = to be fulfilled when Israel enters new covenant) to live in a right (righteous) relationship with God, according to His good and acceptable and perfect will. Messiah's return will usher in the promised and long awaited Messianic Kingdom (Millennial Kingdom) which will be characterized by righteousness. Isaiah describing Messiah's reign declared that

with righteousness He will judge the poor, and decide with fairness for the afflicted of the earth; and He will strike the earth with the rod of His mouth, and with the breath of His lips He will slay the wicked. Also righteousness will be the belt about His loins, and faithfulness the belt about His waist." (Isa 11:4, 5)

TO SEAL UP VISION AND PROPHECY: (Mt 11:13; Lk 24:25, 26, 27,44,45; Jn 19:28, 29, 30) (Acts 3:22)
Since Christ, in all His glory, will be present with His people, there will be no further need for visions and prophecies. Similarly, in the post-apostolic phase of church history, we have no further need of such min*istries, possessing as we do the completed revelation of God in Holy Scripture. During the first half of the Seventieth Week of Daniel two witnesses will prophesy to Israel... (Rev 11:3-note, Rev 11:4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12-note). But all such prophetic ministries will end forever at our Lord's return to earth.

TO ANOINT THE MOST HOLY PLACE: (Ps 2:6; 45:7; Isa 61:1; Luke 4:18-21; John 1:41; 3:34; Hebrews 1:8,9; 9:11) (Mark 1:24; Luke 1:35; Acts 3:14; Hebrews 7:26; Revelation 3:7)
To anoint the most holy place - More literally the Hebrew reads anoint "the holy of holies". As discussed below most interpret this as the Holy Temple which will be rebuilt in the Millennium. It could hardly refer to the eternal state, for there will be no temple (Rev 21:22

Recall Daniel's specific petition...

So now, our God, listen to the prayer of Your servant and to his supplications, and for Your sake, O Lord, let Your face shine on Your desolate sanctuary (miqdash from qodesh). (Da 9:17)

It would be reasonable to consider the anointing of the holy place as God's specific answer to this petition, for when the Messiah returns and takes His rightful place on His throne in the Holy Place (which the Antichrist had just attempted to usurp - cf 2Th 2:3,4), surely God's face will smile on the Holy of holies!

Holy (06944) (qodes or qodesh) is a noun which identifies that which has been consecrated and set aside to be used only for sacred purposes. That which was qodesh was not to be put to common use lest it become profaned and rendered "not holy". Qodesh is used some 468 times in 382 verses in the KJV and is translated as -- holy 262, sanctuary 68, (holy, hallowed,...) things 52, most 44, holiness 30, dedicated 5, hallowed 3, consecrated 1. Notice that 68 times qodesh refers to the Holy Sanctuary.

The word place is in italics in the NAS, indicating (in NAS, KJV, NKJV but not in the ESV) that it has been added by the translators. In other words the original Hebrew text literally reads anoint the holy of holies with no word for "place". The added word place assumes this to be a reference to a place rather than to a person (such as "holy one"). The Septuagint (LXX = Greek translation of the Hebrew) supports the interpretation as referring to a place, translating the Hebrew with the Greek phrase holy of holies, which is interpreted most naturally as a reference to the inner sanctuary of the Jewish Temple in Jerusalem.
A description of a place or an object and not a person, which is further support that the text is referring to anointing of the holy place in the Temple and not to the Holy One, Who, the Messiah.

benny balerio

Daniel 11 has nothing to do with a future Antichrist.
The thing decreed, the Great Tribulation (Daniel 12:1) does happen to the children of Israel following the seventy weeks because of their failure to repent during the allotted time.

God used the time between the end of the seventy weeks and the beginning of the Great Tribulation to begin the conversion of the Gentiles to the Gospel. The Great Tribulation is the time of the Gentiles, and ends with the restoration of Israel.

Of Course Daniel 11 has scripture pertaining to the near future.

36“The king will do as he pleases. He will exalt and magnify himself above every god and will say unheard-of things against the God of gods. He will be successful until the time of wrath is completed, for what has been determined must take place. 37He will show no regard for the gods of his fathers or for the one desired by women, nor will he regard any god, but will exalt himself above them all. 38Instead of them, he will honor a god of fortresses; a god unknown to his fathers he will honor with gold and silver, with precious stones and costly gifts. 39He will attack the mightiest fortresses with the help of a foreign god and will greatly honor those who acknowledge him. He will make them rulers over many people and will distribute the land at a price.e

40“At the time of the end the king of the South will engage him in battle, and the king of the North will storm out against him with chariots and cavalry and a great fleet of ships. He will invade many countries and sweep through them like a flood. 41He will also invade the Beautiful Land. Many countries will fall, but Edom, Moab and the leaders of Ammon will be delivered from his hand. 42He will extend his power over many countries; Egypt will not escape. 43He will gain control of the treasures of gold and silver and all the riches of Egypt, with the Libyans and Nubians in submission. 44But reports from the east and the north will alarm him, and he will set out in a great rage to destroy and annihilate many. 45He will pitch his royal tents between the seas atf the beautiful holy mountain. Yet he will come to his end, and no one will help him.

Titus nor Antiochus Epiphanes ever proclaimed to be god
Also:
Many countries will fall, but Edom, Moab and the leaders of Ammon will be delivered from his hand.
This is an endtime prophecy yet future.
Daniel 11:41 could indicate such a hiding place for the Jews. "He shall enter also into the glorious land, and many countries shall be overthrown; but these shall escape out of his hand, even Edom, and Moab, and the chief of the children of Ammon."

The end of the prophetic picture seems to center around the remnant of Israel that flees from the face of Antichrist when he stands in the Temple and declares to the world that he is god and takes away the daily sacrifice.

I am convinced that the Lord has a prepared place to preserve His covenant people, at least a remnant who call upon His Name; and that He will in some manner lead them to the place of safety. When He returns at the Second Coming, He will personally return to Petra and lead them on the King's Highway back to the Promised Land. The Scriptures also indicate that they will not be safe unless they stay in their hiding place until the Lord returns. The Lord says to Israel: "I will go and return to My place till they acknowledge their offense and seek my face; in their affliction they will seek me early" (Hos. 5:15). As the believing remnant begin to cry out unto God in Psalm 60: 1: "0 God thou has cast us off, thou hast scattered us, thou hast been displeased; Oh turn Thyself to us again," we find God's answer and His salvation:

Thou hast given a banner to them that fear thee, that it may be displayed because of the truth. Selah (Ps. 60:4). That thy beloved may be delivered; save with thy right hand, and hear me (Ps. 60:5). Who will bring me into the strong city? who will lead me into Edom? (Ps. 60:9). Wilt not thou, 0 God, which hadst cast us off? and thou, 0 God, which didst not go out with our armies? (Ps. 60:10). Give us help from trouble: for vain is the help of man (Ps. 60:11). Through God we shall do valiantly: for he it is that shall tread down our enemies (Ps. 60:12).

God further establishes the fact of His personal deliverance of the chosen of Israel in Isaiah 63:1-4 and 8-9:

Who is this that cometh from Edom, with dyed garments from Bozrah? this that is glorious in his apparel, traveling in the greatness of his strength? I that speak in righteousness, mighty to save (Isa. 63: 1). Wherefore art thou red in thine apparel, and thy garments like him that treadeth in the winefat? (Isa. 63:2).

1 have trodden the winepress alone; and of the people there was none with me: for I will tread them in mine anger, and trample them in my fury; and their blood shall be sprinkled upon my garments, and I will stain all my raiment (Isa. 63:3). For the day of vengeance is in mine heart, and the year of my redeemed is come (Isa. 63:4). For he said, Surely they are my people, children that will not lie: so he was their Saviour (Isa. 63:8). In all their affliction he was afflicted, and the angel of his presence saved them: in his love and in his pity he redeemed them; and he bare them, and carried them all the days of old (Isa. 63:9).

Surely God's supernatural intervention is portrayed in Isaiah 16:1-5, as the ancient name for Petra - Sela - is used:

Send ye the lamb to the ruler of the land from Sela to the wilderness, unto the mount of the daughter of Zion (Isa. 16:1).

For it shall be, that, as a wandering bird cast out of the nest, so the daughters of Moab shall be at the fords of Amon (Isa. 16:2).

Take counsel, execute judgment; make thy shadow as the night in the midst of the noonday; hide the outcasts; bewray not him that wandereth (Isa. 16:3).

Let mine outcasts dwell with thee, Moab; be thou a covert to them from the face of the spoiler: for the extortioner is at an end, the spoiler ceaseth, the oppressors are consumed out of the land (Isa. 16:4).

And in mercy shall the throne be established: and he shall sit upon it in truth in the tabernacle of David, judging, and seeking judgment, and hasting righteousness (Isa. 16:5).

And I will bring the third part through the fire, and will refine them as silver is refined, and will try them as gold is tried: they shall call on my name, and I will hear them: I will say, It is my people: and they shall say, The Lord is my God (Zech. 13:9).

We interpret the one-third as believing Israel of Romans 11:26; and the godly remnant that God supernaturally protects in a specially prepared hiding place (Isa. 26:20-21). We have a symbolic picture of Israel, the sun-clad woman, who brings forth the man child - Jesus Christ - who according to His humanity is of the seed of David and destined to rule all nations with a rod of iron.

And there appeared a great wonder in heaven; a woman clothed with the sun, and the moon under her feet, and upon her head a crown of twelve stars And she being with child cried, travailing in birth, and pained to be delivered And there appeared another wonder in heaven; and behold a great red dragon, having seven heads and ten horns, and seven crowns upon his heads And his tail drew the third part of the stars of heaven, and did cast them to the earth: and the dragon stood before the woman which was ready to be delivered, for to devour her child as soon as it was born. And she brought forth a man child, who was to rule all nations with a rod of iron: and her child was caught up unto God, and to his throne. And the woman fled into the wilderness, where she hath a place prepared of God, that they should feed her there a thousand two hundred and threescore days (Rev. 12:1-6).