Scientists baffled by a perfect example of Biblical kinds

Jose Fly

So you don't think the definition of kind is a meaningful response to a request for the definition of kind.

The definition of "kind" you gave (organisms that share a common ancestry) is fine. But it's not very useful when, asked how we should determine what organisms share a common ancestry, your answer is ":idunno:".

Also, so far that's your definition for "kind". So when I'm conversing with you, I will go with that definition. But when I'm conversing with someone else I'm going to ask them what their definition of the term is. Given all the things you conflict with other creationists on, this approach is warranted.

No it never happens, or no you never said it doesn't happen?

User Name

Greatest poster ever
Banned
The mutated population is often less fit than the parent population.

Has any species ever gone extinct due solely to mutations?

If not, how can it be said that the mutated population is often less fit than the parent population? Mutations happen in every generation.

Jose Fly

If not, how can it be said that the mutated population is often less fit than the parent population? Mutations happen in every generation.

Put all this in context of 6days' "Biblical model of creation", where....

One breeding pair of each "kind" was taken aboard the ark, and after the flood, through a process of nothing but losses of fitness, reductions in "genetic information", and "corruption" of genomes, those breeding pairs rapidly gave rise to all the species that have since existed.

Oh, and nowhere in the genomes of any organisms do we see any evidence of this absurd bottleneck where Ne was reduced to 2.

Makes total sense, right? :chuckle:

Jose Fly

And something else I wonder about. Hopefully one of our resident YEC's can clarify...

According to young-earth creationism, during the creation week God created organisms "according to their kinds". Does that mean God created a representative for each "kind" that later gave rise to all the different species, or did God create all the species in that week and just referred to them as "kinds"?

Greg Jennings

Greg.... if you knew just a wee bit you could be dangerous! You really don't know what you are talking about. Why do you think geneticists write articles about genetic burden (various names). It is because several deleterious mutations are added to our genome with each successive generation. Natural selection eliminates little. It is the savior of evolutionists it but it is such a week impotent Savior.

There are many articles I could refer you to. For ex. Kondrashov in 1995 wrote "Contamination of the genome by very slightly deleterious mutations: Why we have not died 100 times over? Published in theoretical biology

In that article he is only talking about slightly deleterious mutations. He is not considering the more harmful mutations that are not eliminated by natural selection. Would you like to learn about them?
Please post a link to the article and the article itself so I and other can examine it, and we'll see if it matches up with what you say.

Greg Jennings

I wonder what Greg thinks a Panda is. Most peoe call it a bear.
Its like calling both a tuna and a minnow a fish.

M

It's a bear, and my definition of species (or more accurately, the one I'm borrowing from the scientific community) fits that perfectly.

However if it is a bear then your previous definition of "kinds" is incorrect

Greg Jennings

Depends what you mean. Do you think they are the same kind of animal as a polar bear?

I thought Greg might be interested in your point because he seems to be working on something to do with things that are called bears. We could also mention koala bears and gummy bears.

The difference is that pandas ARE bears (unlike koalas), yet still cannot interbreed with other bear species. According to you and others here, species within any "kind" can diversify within that "kind" but they are always able to breed with each other.

Pandas are bears, yet unable to breed with other species within the bear "kind".

6days

username said:
"Reproduction is inherently risky, in part because genomic replication can introduce new mutations that are usually deleterious toward fitness. This risk is especially severe for organisms whose genomes replicate “semi-conservatively,” e.g. viruses and bacteria, where no master copy of the genome is preserved. Lethal mutagenesis refers to extinction of populations due to an unbearably high mutation rate...."*

http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC3410861/

"Theory suggests that the risk of extinction by mutation accumulation can be comparable to that by environmental stochasticity for an isolated population smaller than a few thousand individuals. Here we show that metapopulation structure, habitat loss or fragmentation, and environmental stochasticity can be expected to greatly accelerate the accumulation of mildly deleterious mutations, lowering the genetic effective size to such a degree that even large metapopulations may be at risk of extinction"http://m.pnas.org/content/98/5/2928.full

Lets use T-Rex as an example of something going extinct solely because of mutations. *Surely you have heard that it mutated into a chicken? :) (dinosaur to bird belief)

gcthomas

"Reproduction is inherently risky, in part because genomic replication can introduce new mutations that are usually deleterious toward fitness. This risk is especially severe for organisms whose genomes replicate “semi-conservatively,” e.g. viruses and bacteria, where no master copy of the genome is preserved. Lethal mutagenesis refers to extinction of populations due to an unbearably high mutation rate...."*

http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC3410861/

"Theory suggests that the risk of extinction by mutation accumulation can be comparable to that by environmental stochasticity for an isolated population smaller than a few thousand individuals. Here we show that metapopulation structure, habitat loss or fragmentation, and environmental stochasticity can be expected to greatly accelerate the accumulation of mildly deleterious mutations, lowering the genetic effective size to such a degree that even large metapopulations may be at risk of extinction"http://m.pnas.org/content/98/5/2928.full

Lets use T-Rex as an example of something going extinct solely because of mutations. *Surely you have heard that it mutated into a chicken? :) (dinosaur to bird belief)

Huh?!

How can T Rex have mutated into birds AND gone extinct?

Doesn't extinct mean 'leaves no descendants' in your fantasy YEC world?

User Name

Greatest poster ever
Banned

No, I hadn't heard that T-Rex went extinct solely because of mutations, or that T-Rex mutated into chickens. This is what I heard:

"The evolution of birds is thought to have begun in the Jurassic Period, with the earliest birds derived from a clade of theropoda dinosaurs named Paraves." -- https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Evolution_of_birds

6days

gcthomas said:
How can T Rex have mutated into birds AND gone extinct?

Hmm... good question. I guess it must be some of that magic bean stuff. Or, maybe I'm just mixing up my fairy tales?

Washington Post headline..."Dinosaurs aren’t really extinct (sorry, Jurassic Park)"
Or
"Extinction of the Dinosaur". http://paleobiology.si.edu/geotime/main/htmlversion/cretaceous4.html

Gc..... you are correct though... I get your point.

Greg Jennings

Nope. Raptors are the ones thought to have evolved into birds. They had feathers, identical hip structure, and some smaller ones even had hollow-ish bones.

T-Rex I'm fairly certain is thought to be the last of its line.

It'd be nice if you just for once could represent something accurately