ECT Romans 3:30 (for STP)

Tambora

Get your armor ready!
LIFETIME MEMBER
Hall of Fame

I was baptized to wash my sins away, by faith. I received the Holy Ghost, by faith. Works of faith is obedience to the word of God. One shouldn't look for reasons not to do something, just do them by faith because the scripture says so. By doing so one will receive the blessing of God.

Jas 2:21 Was not Abraham our father justified by works, when he had offered Isaac his son upon the altar?
Jas 2:22 Seest thou how faith wrought with his works, and by works was faith made perfect?
Jas 2:23 And the scripture was fulfilled which saith, Abraham believed God, and it was imputed unto him for righteousness: and he was called the Friend of God.

Jas 2:14 What doth it profit, my brethren, though a man say he hath faith, and have not works? can faith save him?

Jas 2:17 Even so faith, if it hath not works, is dead, being alone.
Jas 2:18 Yea, a man may say, Thou hast faith, and I have works: shew me thy faith without thy works, and I will shew thee my faith by my works.
Jas 2:19 Thou believest that there is one God; thou doest well: the devils also believe, and tremble.
Jas 2:20 But wilt thou know, O vain man, that faith without works is dead?
This was AFTER Abe was circumcised.
James is a minister to the circumcision.

But Paul uses the case of Abe's faith BEFORE he was circumcised.
And the laws that came afterward CANNOT dissanul the promise made to Abe BEFORE he was circumcised.
And to make this point stand out, Abe was asleep (ie. not doing anything) while watching the LORD alone pass through the animal parts, showing it was HIS (God) faithfulness alone that would accomplish.

Grosnick Marowbe

Hall of Fame
I believe GOD made that distinction when He chose Jacob/Israel over his own twin brother Esau on the basis of election and not for being any more worthy (as the choice was made before either of them did anything at all).

If one does not trust that GOD will indeed perform His promises to Israel, then they have no basis to think that GOD is obligated to keep any promise to anyone at all.
This is not about whether Jews are more faithful to GOD (they're not), but about if GOD is faithful to Israel (He is).
It is that faithfulness of GOD (despite their worthiness) that assures us that He keeps His promises.

You're among a very few trusted posters on TOL, Tam. Love your posts.

ClimateSanity

Is it safer to be saved by grace through faith or to be saved by grace by faith? I believe those who achieve immortality could care less.

They were walking a tightrope in this life. We don't. It's true, one doesn't much care once eternity is here but down here where the rubber meets the road, it makes all the difference in the world.

Nick M

Black Rifles Matter
LIFETIME MEMBER
Hall of Fame
Verses 22-25 have both Jews and Gentiles attaining righteousness through faith, so the 'by faith' of the circumcision of v.30 equates to 'through'.

Why would anyone be looking for a different process of faith?

You missed it in Acts 15. Peter said they shall be saved, future tense, as the gentiles are, present tense.

Sonnet

15:11 is present tense in both cases.

And what could be clearer -

Acts 15:6-11
The apostles and elders met to consider this question. After much discussion, Peter got up and addressed them: “Brothers, you know that some time ago God made a choice among you that the Gentiles might hear from my lips the message of the gospel and believe. God, who knows the heart, showed that he accepted them by giving the Holy Spirit to them, just as he did to us. He did not discriminate between us and them, for he purified their hearts by faith. Now then, why do you try to test God by putting on the necks of Gentiles a yoke that neither we nor our ancestors have been able to bear? No! We believe it is through the grace of our Lord Jesus that we are saved, just as they are.”

No distinction - whether Jew or Gentile - the same faith in Jesus is required.

Interplanner

Not all, yet.
Israel has not yet been restored to the same land of their fathers, never to be plucked up again.

There is nothing in the NT about that Tam. Even Heb 11 says the land was not what the wandering faithful were seeking, even if it did act as a shadow of the reality. The fulfillment came in Christ's Gospel; that is how 'they' are blessed together with 'us' (all present believers). There is absolutely nothing about the land or theocracy.

Of course it is great to have a constitutional government in that geographic area, instead of shari'a government.