Real Science Friday: Old Birds and Fish Fins

jeffblue101

Strange they are so much better at remembering things then, isn't it?

http://www.guardian.co.uk/science/2007/dec/04/animalbehaviour.evolution

http://www.springerlink.com/content/h842v2702r60u481/
Inoue and Matsuzawa (2007) claimed this performance difference was evidence of a memorial capacity in young chimpanzees that was superior to that seen in adult humans. While the between-species performance difference they report is apparent in their data, so too is a large difference in practice on their task: Ayumu had many sessions of practice on their task before terminal performances were measured; their human subjects had none. The present report shows that when two humans are given practice in the Inoue and Matsuzawa (2007) memory task, their accuracy levels match those of Ayumu.

http://www.springerlink.com/content/6g623h20084u0247/
do chimpanzees have better spatial working memory than humans? In a previous report, a juvenile chimpanzee outperformed 3 university students on memory for briefly displayed digits in a spatial array (Inoue & Matsuzawa, 2007). The authors described these abilities as extraordinary and likened the chimpanzee's performance to eidetic memory. However, the chimpanzee received extensive practice on a non-time-pressured version of the task; the human subjects received none. Here we report that, after adequate practice, 2 university students substantially outperformed the chimpanzee. There is no evidence for a superior or qualitatively different spatial memory system in chimpanzees.

The Barbarian

BANNED
Banned
Barbarian observes:
We have tails. They are just vestigial. Same bones, muscles, nerves, etc. as in primates that have prehensile/balancing tails.

Apes do not have tails.

That's what the coccyx is. All the stuff monkeys have, but smaller. Every now and then, we get a true tail in a human baby where something didn't slow down the growth well enough. And they surgically remove it.

the application of vestigial could apply to the entire body, therefore rendering the word completely useless in evolutionary biology.

Nope. Broca's area, for example. Or hooves. Or any of a million other things.
we lost the original function of the Broca's area in the human species unless you believe that humans have same speech patterns to the other apes.

Some apes may have a primitive Broca's area, but so far, no one's found one in monkeys.

Hence, not vestigial.

Humans don't have hooves, So I don't see your point on that one.

Hooves are something new, modified claws. So are nails.

Barbarian observes:
Nope. In fact, vestigial organs were one of the reasons evolutionary theory was first developed. You have it backwards. They were examined by people who didn't accept evolution, and were one of the reasons they came to realize evolution had happened. You might want to look up "homologous" to learn why this is so.

Evolution was constructed on circular argument

I just showed you that it wasn't. Vestigial organs were among the evidence that convinced scientists evolution was a fact. You have it backwards.

kalliste

3 random chimps and only 2 university students could outperform 1 of the chimps?

What chance for 3 random humans? :)

jeffblue101

3 random chimps and only 2 university students could outperform 1 of the chimps?

What chance for 3 random humans? :)

there were six chimps. Only one showed any significant results. this monkey was 'trained' at "200 trials per day, 5 or 6 days a week, and began in 2005" also from the paper "In contrast, the human subjects received almost no practice of any sort" this paper showed that when humans are given some practice that they outperformed the chimp.

jeffblue101

That's what the coccyx is. All the stuff monkeys have, but smaller. Every now and then, we get a true tail in a human baby where something didn't slow down the growth well enough. And they surgically remove it. .
the coccyx is not a tail since Apes don't have tails.
according to evolutionary classification, do apes have tails Yes or No?

Some apes may have a primitive Broca's area, but so far, no one's found one in monkeys.

Is the broca's area still primitive in humans. nope, hence it should be consdiered vestigial since it lost its original function. Don't blame me, blame Darwin for coming up with a circular and meaningless classification.

nails are considered vestigial to the supposed primitive ancestors to humans

I just showed you that it wasn't. Vestigial organs were among the evidence that convinced scientists evolution was a fact. You have it backwards
still the same old circular reasoning.

The Barbarian

BANNED
Banned
Barbarian observes:
That's what the coccyx is. All the stuff monkeys have, but smaller. Every now and then, we get a true tail in a human baby where something didn't slow down the growth well enough. And they surgically remove it. .

Jeff does a little circular reasoning:

Funny. You're assuming what you intend to prove. That's what circular reasoning is. Apes have vestigial tails. Same bones, same nerves, same muscles. Just smaller.

according to evolutionary classification, do apes have tails Yes or No?

Vestigial tails. In utero, we have a longer one, with more bones. Most of these are usually absorbed and gone by the time we're born, but sometimes there is enough left to have a noticeable tail externally.

Barbarian observes:

Is the broca's area still primitive in humans. nope, hence it should be consdiered vestigial since it lost its original function.

The original function is speech production (and to a lesser degree, comprehension). No sign that it ever had a different one. Even the primitive area in apes is so; it activates when apes taught to sign are signing. And it's not in monkeys.

Don't blame me, blame Darwin for coming up with a circular and meaningless classification.

You inadvertently gave us a fine example of circular reasoning. I highlighted it in red for you. Read it and learn.

Barbarian observes:

nails are considered vestigial to the supposed primitive ancestors to humans

Nope. They had nails like ours.

Barbarian observes:
I just showed you that it wasn't. Vestigial organs were among the evidence that convinced scientists evolution was a fact. You have it backwards.

still the same old circular reasoning.

This is circular reasoning:

Remember, it's assuming what you propose to prove.

Jukia

Is it possible to weaken the theory?

tt

Sure with substantial evidence, not bits and pieces cherry picked. Come up with an alternative theory---an explanation that fits all the evidence better. Get those creation scientists crakin' on that.

The Barbarian

BANNED
Banned
Is it possible to weaken the theory?

As Haldane remarked, a bunny in undisturbed Cambrian deposits would kill it.

A demonstration that natural selection does not tend to increase fitness would do it.

A demonstration that a feature in one organism arose for the sole benefit of a different species would do it.

The Barbarian

BANNED
Banned
Barbarian observes:
It seems it minimized drag, but now the evidence indicates that it works to sense the environment, to allow fish to swim more efficiently.

Does it no longer minimize drag?

It might a little, but since it's reduced from the size in primitive teleosts, it would be less. But apparently it has a different function now. Hence vestigial.

How do you know it hasn't always served the same function(s)?

Reduction in size, for one thing. It's smaller than it is in earlier fish.

Apparently... in light of the assumption that evolution is true to begin with. It doesn't seem so apparent to those who don't hold the same assumptions.

Barbarian observes:
Again, the evidence is what matters, and I don't buy your postmodern idea that the truth is whatever you want to make of it.

That's not my idea, and I don't buy into it either.

Then it was probably not a good argument to advance here.

Cricket

Sure with substantial evidence, not bits and pieces cherry picked. Come up with an alternative theory---an explanation that fits all the evidence better. Get those creation scientists crakin' on that.

You might call this a nice little start. :)

tt

Jukia

Why does it have to be creationists who seek to falsify evolution?

tt

Why not? do you expect all those nasty conspiratorial scientists who accept evolution as a starting point to do it?

On the other hand, it does not have to be a creationist. But what is the alternative theory that drives the research? ID is simply creationism all prettied up, but sure, those crackerjack science guys at the Discovery Institute could do lots of experiments. Perhaps they could, but they don't.

So what is the alternative theory? Give me one.

Jukia

Yes. And it looks like this was a small step toward falsification.

tt

Then find someone who will do it. Contact your local university. Tell them about this flaw in evolutionary theory. Help write a grant proposal. Type up the report and submit to a peer reviewed journal. Let me know all the + results and I will join you on the trip to collect the Nobel. You and the people who did the work will be on the cover of every news magazine and be the most famous scientists in the world.

Please report back.

Cricket

Then find someone who will do it. Contact your local university. Tell them about this flaw in evolutionary theory. Help write a grant proposal. Type up the report and submit to a peer reviewed journal. Let me know all the + results and I will join you on the trip to collect the Nobel. You and the people who did the work will be on the cover of every news magazine and be the most famous scientists in the world.

Please report back.

It's already started.

tt

The Barbarian

BANNED
Banned

Please report back.

Cricket chirps:
It's already started.

I heard that one 25 years ago. And countless times since. Still waiting. The IDers have poured cash into an intelligent design lab. So far, no breakthroughs.

I think I know why.