Pediatrician refuses to care for lesbians' baby

GFR7

Till she conforms.
I wonder if she will be coerced to conform? :think: The American Medical Association/Pediatrics Association was not at all supportive of her, and said they support "diversity" .....she's kind of out on a limb, now......

Angel4Truth

Hall of Fame
I wonder if she will be coerced to conform? :think: The American Medical Association/Pediatrics Association was not at all supportive of her, and said they support "diversity" .....she's kind of out on a limb, now......

She has the right to be, no one can force relationship. Its a whole different thing to choose to be involved with more than just your patient for years, vs an emergency situation.

Doctors often drop patients also when there is not a good working relationship with them.

basmonahan

To go back to the original questions of the thread -

No, I suppose there isn't anything obligating a doctor to treat a child of a couple who practices a lifestyle the doctor doesn't agree with. But, if you support a doctor not treating a lesbian's couple's baby, then you shouldn't have any qualms with a doctor supporting euthanasia (something many Christians might have an issue with), right? In my opinion, a doctor is supposed to help people no matter what their creed. I'm not sure why this would even come up as a topic for us Christians, who are supposed to be merciful and helpful as Christ commanded us to be.

GFR7

She has the right to be, no one can force relationship. Its a whole different thing to choose to be involved with more than just your patient for years, vs an emergency situation.

Doctors often drop patients also when there is not a good working relationship with them.
I agree, yes. I was a bit chagrined at the AMA's stance......

GFR7

To go back to the original questions of the thread -

No, I suppose there isn't anything obligating a doctor to treat a child of a couple who practices a lifestyle the doctor doesn't agree with. But, if you support a doctor not treating a lesbian's couple's baby, then you shouldn't have any qualms with a doctor supporting euthanasia (something many Christians might have an issue with), right? In my opinion, a doctor is supposed to help people no matter what their creed. I'm not sure why this would even come up as a topic for us Christians, who are supposed to be merciful and helpful as Christ commanded us to be.
All of these ethical questions are very thorny. Euthanasia is more or less practiced regularly with cancer patients, under the guise of "pain management" (upping the morphine until it more or less kills them, but with kind intentions to end suffering. It's just not called 'euthanasia'). This is what I saw with my own spouse. (after medical hope was abandoned).

Rusha

LIFETIME MEMBER
LIFETIME MEMBER
Hall of Fame
Me, too. I also wonder what, if any, effect this will have on her practice?

Indeed. Many parents might wish to trust a professional whose focus is on the health of children rather than making a mark in martyrdom on the 10:00 news.

GFR7

Indeed. Many parents might wish to trust a professional whose focus is on the health of children rather than making a mark in martyrdom on the 10:00 news.
I will admit that considering the current cultural climate, she may have alienated some people.....

aCultureWarrior

BANNED
Banned
LIFETIME MEMBER

article-2070407-0A494110000005DC-627_468x399.jpg

Parents

jamie-and-krista-contreras-dr-vesni-roi.png

Perverts

Always happy to help with your confusion Sandy.

Rusha

LIFETIME MEMBER
LIFETIME MEMBER
Hall of Fame
I will admit that considering the current cultural climate, she may have alienated some people.....

That does tend to happen when a pediatrician uses a child to target the parents.

Perverts

That's ... interesting. It also has nothing whatsoever to do with the fact that the doctor's disdain for the parents overruled her concern for the child.

aCultureWarrior

BANNED
Banned
LIFETIME MEMBER
Quote:
Originally Posted by aCultureWarrior
Perverts

That's ... interesting. It also has nothing whatsoever to do with the fact that the doctor's disdain for the parents overruled her concern for the child.

Her concern for the child goes outside of the doctors office Sandy. That innocent child will be subjected to all kinds of psychological, spiritual and most likely physical abuse that is very common in the LGBTQueer world.

Rusha

LIFETIME MEMBER
LIFETIME MEMBER
Hall of Fame
Her concern for the child goes outside of the doctors office Sandy.

Not hardly. She cut herself off from the child ... which is actually a good thing.

The child deserves to have a doctor who will put her patient's needs first. EOS.

zoo22

Does she turn away non-Christian parents? I mean, I'd think that'd go against her sincere religious beliefs.

genuineoriginal

Yes, many parents would not be making themselves out to be martyrs because they encountered a professional that sent them to another because of a conflict of interest.

genuineoriginal

That does tend to happen when a pediatrician uses a child to target the parents.
You have it backwards.
It is the parents that are using the child to target the pediatrician.

The doctor showed her concern for the child's health by having another doctor see the child instead of allowing a conflict of interest to interfere with the child's care.

genuineoriginal

She cut herself off from the child ... which is actually a good thing.
She thought so as well, it is the parents that are having problems understanding this.

The child deserves to have a doctor who will put her patient's needs first. EOS.
The doctor did put the patient's needs first.
The parents are just using the child to feed their sick need for 15 minutes of fame.

Morpheus

Yes, many parents would not be making themselves out to be martyrs because they encountered a professional that sent them to another because of a conflict of interest.

You have it backwards.
It is the parents that are using the child to target the pediatrician.

The doctor showed her concern for the child's health by having another doctor see the child instead of allowing a conflict of interest to interfere with the child's care.

She thought so as well, it is the parents that are having problems understanding this.

The doctor did put the patient's needs first.
The parents are just using the child to feed their sick need for 15 minutes of fame.
That poor, innocent doctor. She did nothing wrong, right?

So let's say that a Christian couple found the doctor they wanted for their soon-to-be-born child, and they scheduled an appointment well in advance. And that doctor accepted the child, with her parents, as a patient. Then only days after the blessed event they took their precious child to that anticipated, scheduled first appointment. Then after being led to the exam room and waiting for their doctor's arrival they are greeted by a different doctor who told them that their doctor, a Catholic, had been praying about it and decided their child was not worthy of her services because they were protestant, but here, you deserve this doctor of my choosing. So get over it.

It would be a slap in the face to anyone, but especially new parents.

genuineoriginal

That poor, innocent doctor. She did nothing wrong, right?
She identified a conflict of interest and recused herself before it became a problem.
That is the behavior I would expect from any professional.

So let's say that a Christian couple found the doctor they wanted for their soon-to-be-born child, and they scheduled an appointment well in advance. And that doctor accepted the child, with her parents, as a patient. Then only days after the blessed event they took their precious child to that anticipated, scheduled first appointment. Then after being led to the exam room and waiting for their doctor's arrival they are greeted by a different doctor who told them that their doctor, a Catholic, had been praying about it and decided their child was not worthy of her services because they were protestant, but here, you deserve this doctor of my choosing. So get over it.
Sounds like you have a comprehension problem.
The doctor never said that the child was not worthy, you stupid idiot.

The doctor stated that she did not believe she could develop the kind of relationship with the family that she believes is needed for her to provide the best care for the child.

It would be a slap in the face to anyone, but especially new parents.
The parents are the problem, the child was not a problem.