ECT Our triune God

sholom

GOD!

Rev 4:10 the twenty-four elders will fall down before Him who sits on the throne, and will worship Him who lives forever and ever, and will cast their crowns before the throne, saying, 11 "Worthy are You, our Lord and our God, to receive glory and honor and power; for You created all things, and because of Your will they existed, and were created." Rev 5:1 I saw in the right hand of Him who sat on the throne a book written inside and on the back, sealed up with seven seals.... Rev 5:6 And I saw between the throne (with the four living creatures) and the elders a Lamb standing, as if slain, having seven horns and seven eyes, which are the seven Spirits of God, sent out into all the earth. Rev 5:7 And He (Jesus) came and took the book out of the right hand of Him (God) who sat on the throne.

Read it again, this time with out your trinity bias... God is on the Throne... The Lamb (Jesus) Is standing not sitting between the throne along with the four living creatures and elders! Yep, Would be pretty hard to approach himself and take a book out of his own right hand! All the while standing and sitting at the same time! :chuckle:... :hammer:

Rev 5:13 And every created thing which is in heaven and on the earth and under the earth and on the sea, and all things in them, I heard saying, "To Him who sits on the throne, and to the Lamb (Standing), be blessing and honor and glory and dominion forever and ever."

What part of and do you not understand? Apples AND oranges. :chuckle: Your saying apples and oranges are the same! :chuckle:

No doubt! But How....

Act 2:22 "Men of Israel, listen to these words: Jesus the Nazarene, a man attested to you by God with miracles and wonders and signs which God performed through Him in your midst, just as you yourselves know--

Sorry, But I noticed you failed to provide such scripture that the Trinity raised Jesus from the dead! So let me provide scripture for you! God raised HIS Servant Jesus!

Act 3:26 "For you first, God raised up His Servant and sent Him to bless you by turning every one of you from your wicked ways." :readthis:

Act 5:30 "The God of our fathers raised up Jesus, whom you had put to death by hanging Him on a cross. :readthis:

Gal 1:1 Paul, an apostle (not sent from men nor through the agency of man, but through Jesus Christ and God the Father, who raised Him from the dead),

Who's' God raised Jesus? Let's ask Jesus...
Joh 20:17 Jesus said to her, "Stop clinging to Me, for I have not yet ascended to the Father; but go to My brethren and say to them, 'I ascend to My Father and your Father, and My God and your God.'"

Rev 3:2 'Wake up, and strengthen the things that remain, which were about to die; for I have not found your deeds completed in the sight of My God. (Who raised me from the dead!)

Aren't your tired of me making you look so foolish with your non- biblical words and traditions of men?

:poly::sherlock:
Paul

Truthsmack.

Every time.

Potsd Whatever that means.

I refute with short length reason. You use scripture.

It is in your belly.

Apple7

The same exegetical mistake is made when JWs, etc. think all references to wisdom refer to Jesus (reducing him to creature). Proverbs 8 is a personification of Wisdom vs Folly, not a Christological passage. Just because Jesus is called the wisdom of God in the NT (I Cor. 1). You cannot splice all words together as referring to the same thing (YHWH is God and Satan is called god, but that does not mean YHWH is Satan).

Jn. 4:24 is a metaphysical statement about God's nature. God is spirit, immaterial, not material. It is not a reference to the person of the Holy Spirit (cf. Is. 9:6 is not a reference to God the Father, but Messianic vs modalism). Jesus is Truth, but the word has a semantical range of meaning (cf. Logos/Word...in Jn. 1 and Rev. 19, the word refers to Jesus, but in other contexts, it can refer to written words, etc....so it would be a mistake to read Jesus into every logos reference...I think this is what you are doing with this verse).

We stand together defending the triune understanding, but we lose credibility if we proof text/eisegete vs exegete. The evidence for the trinity does not rise or fall on this verse (nor is it explicitly trinitarian; it can be used to refute the Mormon idea that God is an evolved man with flesh and bones).

You are welcome:cool::carryon:

I would be interested where you got your idea or if you can find any commentor/exegete that would interpret the verse the way you are. Peace out.

αληθεια always refers to Jesus, outside of John 4.23 - 24, in the Book of John.

Thus, proper exegesis clearly indicates that it refers to Jesus here, as well.

Just because pops K uses it for his sig does not mean that it should scare you off....as he clearly has no idea of the implications of these two verses.

godrulz

Hall of Fame
Jn. 4:24 is not a Christological statement. Other verses show that Jesus is worshipped, though. It would include worship of Jesus in principle, but spirit/truth does not refer to Holy Spirit/Jesus in this verse specifically.

sholom

Jn. 4:24 is not a Christological statement. Other verses show that Jesus is worshipped, though. It would include worship of Jesus in principle, but spirit/truth does not refer to Holy Spirit/Jesus in this verse specifically.

Buh, but. If the Ruach Hakodesh was a third partner of the YHWH,

heaven forbid...

Then this name would be mention more than three times in Torah as such

wouldn't you think, rabboni?

Fine way to treat the third partner. IGNORE. Just like we sometimes do here on TOL, right?

keypurr

Of course.

This is Jesus' humanity.
So if I understand you, Jesus humanity was created.

The Father never manifested Himself in the flesh, only the Son and the Spirit have done this.
So, you think that the Son made himself a man to come to Earth?

Jesus is God in the flesh here, as well (John 10.30; 14.9; Col. 2.9).
No that is not what these verses say. They are one in purpose, if you have seen him you will understand how the father is. For he came from the father, he was sent by his father.

Again...Jesus' humanity was created....not His divinity.

We agree that Jesus was a created human person then?
His humanity would be him while on earth. That is the only place he would need it to be the sacrifice.

Lets put it all together. Before the creation, God created a spiritual someone in his image. This person had great powers that were used in creation. This Image then made himself man and came to earth. Died and went back to heaven to sit next to his God.

See how folks differ in the way they approach the word of God. You see aTrinity, I see one God (Father) and one Lord (Jesus). I understand from someone in my past that the word "Godhead" is a very questionable inplanted word. I can't remember where I read it, maybe in Bart Earlman books.

I don't know, its kind of far fetched. But I am starting to think that this just be what happened. Except I think God made his spiritual image (Jesus) into a man, but that man still has a God. God spoke through this man. God is spiritual, his image is also spiritual, but Jesus was a man. Still pondering.

Thank you for your thoughts.

Peace

Apple7

I understand your point Apple7, but I do not think you understand mine.
If he is the IMAGE of God, he must have been created. That would mean that he is not God, but a FORM or IMAGE of the true creator.

What it does is show us that Jesus' humanity was created - just like we have told you all along.

His deity was never created....nor can you provide a verse stating as thus...

Supposing this is true, that would show that God created all through Jesus.

'By', 'Through', & 'For' Jesus, per the Greek.

As the good book says, now Jesus says he has a God, Jesus says there is only one God.
So this theory is really not as far out as it may sound. It would certainly cause confusion in scripture as it has done. I'm thinking that this could very well be true understanding of who Jesus is/was. I know that this is just one verse and I am seeking for more. Who knows, maybe I have been given some wisdom. I have prayed for it a long time.

You have absolutely no difficulty in seeing the scriptures that point to Jesus' humanity....why is it that you are blind to the scriptures showing His divinity?

Apple7

ALL things come from God, even Jesus. Jesus was used in the creation, so was the Spirit. Jesus dies, God cannot die, God raised him, WHO? God raised him. All this has to be considered as we dig deeper into scripture. Knowing that Jesus has a God is very important. Thinking that he MAY be created is also important.

We both know that God has done many things that we will never fully understand, this may be one of them.

Who raised Jesus from the dead?

• God the Father…Romans 6.4; 10.9; Col 2.11-12; 1 Peter 1.20-21; 1 Cor 6.14; Acts 2.23-24; 3.14-15; 13.30-37; Hebrews 13.20-21; Eph 1.15-20; Gal 1.1; 1 Thes 1.9-10
• God the Son…John 2.19-22; 10.17-18
• God the Spirit…Romans 8.11; 1 Peter 3.18

Apple7

GOD!

Rev 4:10 the twenty-four elders will fall down before Him who sits on the throne, and will worship Him who lives forever and ever, and will cast their crowns before the throne, saying, 11 "Worthy are You, our Lord and our God, to receive glory and honor and power; for You created all things, and because of Your will they existed, and were created." Rev 5:1 I saw in the right hand of Him who sat on the throne a book written inside and on the back, sealed up with seven seals.... Rev 5:6 And I saw between the throne (with the four living creatures) and the elders a Lamb standing, as if slain, having seven horns and seven eyes, which are the seven Spirits of God, sent out into all the earth. Rev 5:7 And He (Jesus) came and took the book out of the right hand of Him (God) who sat on the throne.

Read it again, this time with out your trinity bias... God is on the Throne... The Lamb (Jesus) Is standing not sitting between the throne along with the four living creatures and elders! Yep, Would be pretty hard to approach himself and take a book out of his own right hand! All the while standing and sitting at the same time! :chuckle:... :hammer:

Scripture gives us several helpful clues as to The God who occupies the Throne in Rev 4.

The description given to the Throne and the one sitting upon it is the same as previously given in Ezekiel (Eze. 1.26-28) and likewise is applied to Jesus in Revelation.

Ezekiel describes the one sitting upon the Throne as looking like a man and being called the Glory of Yahweh.

Daniel further elaborates on the Ancient of Days who occupies the Throne (Dan 7.9) and likewise is applied to Jesus in Revelation.

We are already told in Rev 3.21 that Jesus occupies the Father’s singular Throne, as thus…

The one overcoming, I will give to him to sit with Me in My throne, as I also overcame and sat with My Father in His throne. (Rev 3.21)

ο νικων δωσω αυτω καθισαι μετ εμου εν τω θρονω μου ως καγω ενικησα και εκαθισα μετα του πατρος μου εν τω θρονω αυτου

Jesus has already ‘overcome’ (ενικησα) aorist, past-tense verb.

And (και) …

Jesus has already ‘sat down’ (εκαθισα) aorist, past-tense verb.

The Greek verbs utilized inform us that Jesus has already sat down with His Father upon the same singular Throne….this is exactly in keeping with scripture which has the Son in the identical image as the Father.

One Throne.

One God.

Rev 5:13 And every created thing which is in heaven and on the earth and under the earth and on the sea, and all things in them, I heard saying, "To Him who sits on the throne, and to the Lamb (Standing), be blessing and honor and glory and dominion forever and ever."

What part of and do you not understand? Apples AND oranges. :chuckle: Your saying apples and oranges are the same! :chuckle:

This is a doxology of deity worship directed towards Jesus.

What part of this did you miss?

No doubt! But How....

Act 2:22 "Men of Israel, listen to these words: Jesus the Nazarene, a man attested to you by God with miracles and wonders and signs which God performed through Him in your midst, just as you yourselves know--

How did Jesus speak the Universe into existence?

Sorry, But I noticed you failed to provide such scripture that the Trinity raised Jesus from the dead! So let me provide scripture for you! God raised HIS Servant Jesus!

Act 3:26 "For you first, God raised up His Servant and sent Him to bless you by turning every one of you from your wicked ways." :readthis:

Act 5:30 "The God of our fathers raised up Jesus, whom you had put to death by hanging Him on a cross. :readthis:

Gal 1:1 Paul, an apostle (not sent from men nor through the agency of man, but through Jesus Christ and God the Father, who raised Him from the dead),

Who's' God raised Jesus? Let's ask Jesus...
Joh 20:17 Jesus said to her, "Stop clinging to Me, for I have not yet ascended to the Father; but go to My brethren and say to them, 'I ascend to My Father and your Father, and My God and your God.'"

Rev 3:2 'Wake up, and strengthen the things that remain, which were about to die; for I have not found your deeds completed in the sight of My God. (Who raised me from the dead!)

Aren't your tired of me making you look so foolish with your non- biblical words and traditions of men?

:poly::sherlock:
Paul

Look again.

• God the Father…Romans 6.4; 10.9; Col 2.11-12; 1 Peter 1.20-21; 1 Cor 6.14; Acts 2.23-24; 3.14-15; 13.30-37; Hebrews 13.20-21; Eph 1.15-20; Gal 1.1; 1 Thes 1.9-10

Apple7

Yes, it does.

Again...don't let a unitarian - who lists this verse in his sig - scare you away from Trinitarian truth!

keypurr

αληθεια always refers to Jesus, outside of John 4.23 - 24, in the Book of John.

Thus, proper exegesis clearly indicates that it refers to Jesus here, as well.

Just because pops K uses it for his sig does not mean that it should scare you off....as he clearly has no idea of the implications of these two verses.

I'm not to smart Apple7, but I have wisdom. You have no idea how deep I go to see things. I try to do it withut any pre-conceived ideas. And that is not easy. GR does not understand me so he will not be scared.

Apple7

So if I understand you, Jesus humanity was created.

Correct.

So, you think that the Son made himself a man to come to Earth?

The Trinity, brother.

No that is not what these verses say. They are one in purpose, if you have seen him you will understand how the father is. For he came from the father, he was sent by his father.

Where do you see the words 'they are one in purpose'....?

We agree that Jesus was a created human person then?

His humanity was created...not His deity.

His humanity would be him while on earth. That is the only place he would need it to be the sacrifice.

Correct.

Lets put it all together. Before the creation, God created a spiritual someone in his image. This person had great powers that were used in creation. This Image then made himself man and came to earth. Died and went back to heaven to sit next to his God.

No, brother.

Deity cannot be created.

Show me one passage that states that deity can be created.

See how folks differ in the way they approach the word of God. You see aTrinity, I see one God (Father) and one Lord (Jesus). I understand from someone in my past that the word "Godhead" is a very questionable inplanted word. I can't remember where I read it, maybe in Bart Earlman books.

I don't know, its kind of far fetched. But I am starting to think that this just be what happened. Except I think God made his spiritual image (Jesus) into a man, but that man still has a God. God spoke through this man. God is spiritual, his image is also spiritual, but Jesus was a man. Still pondering.

Thank you for your thoughts.

Peace

You need to stop ignoring scriptures regarding Jesus' deity.

You stopped half-way.

Apple7

I'm not to smart Apple7, but I have wisdom. You have no idea how deep I go to see things. I try to do it withut any pre-conceived ideas. And that is not easy. GR does not understand me so he will not be scared.

Ok, brother...:wave:

keypurr

See post 621, Paul told you.

Acts 10:40 – This MAN God raised on the third day."

Look at these also:
Acts 3:15 ; Ephesians 1:19-21 ; Heb. 13:20 ; Acts 13:30, 33, 34, 37 ; Acts 17:31 ; Rom. 6:4 ; 2 Cor. 4:14 ; Gal. 1:1 .

Rom 8:11 But if the Spirit of him that raised up Jesus from the dead dwell in you, he that raised up Christ from the dead shall also quicken your mortal bodies by his Spirit that dwelleth in you.

God uses his spirit for everything, including creation. It was GOD'S spirit that raised Jesus. The spirit is not seperate from The Father, it is the father's person. We do not agree on what the Holy spirit is friend. I suggest you reread Rom 8:11.

keypurr

Correct.

The Trinity, brother.

Where do you see the words 'they are one in purpose'....?
Content friend, Not everything isw taken in literal form

His humanity was created...not His deity

So then, even if he was the IMAGE of GOD, his had not deity?

Deity cannot be created.

Show me one passage that states that deity can be created.

I can't, that is another reason why I don't see Jesus as God.

You need to stop ignoring scriptures regarding Jesus' deity.

You stopped half-way.

What is the difference between God and the IMAGE or FORM of GOD?
Man was made in the image of God too. But Jesus had to lower himself to become man.

This is not a dumb question friend.

Apple7

See post 621, Paul told you.

Look at these also:
Acts 3:15 ; Ephesians 1:19-21 ; Heb. 13:20 ; Acts 13:30, 33, 34, 37 ; Acts 17:31 ; Rom. 6:4 ; 2 Cor. 4:14 ; Gal. 1:1 .

Rom 8:11 But if the Spirit of him that raised up Jesus from the dead dwell in you, he that raised up Christ from the dead shall also quicken your mortal bodies by his Spirit that dwelleth in you.

God uses his spirit for everything, including creation. It was GOD'S spirit that raised Jesus. The spirit is not seperate from The Father, it is the father's person. We do not agree on what the Holy spirit is friend. I suggest you reread Rom 8:11.

Look at how you ignore John 2.19 - 22; 10.17 - 18

keypurr

Ok, brother...:wave:

I hope your not giving up on me, that is not in your nature.
Knowledge is one thing, wisdom is another.

Job 28:28 And unto man he said, Behold, the fear of the Lord, that is wisdom; and to depart from evil is understanding.

Psa 111:10 The fear of the LORD is the beginning of wisdom: a good understanding have all they that do his commandments: his praise endureth for ever.

Pro 3:13 Happy is the man that findeth wisdom, and the man that getteth understanding.

I am a happy guy Apple7. I am still seeking more wisdom.

Apple7

Content friend, Not everything isw taken in literal form

Then show us the context to prove your point.

So then, even if he was the IMAGE of GOD, his had not deity?

Deity was already in His created body.

I can't, that is another reason why I don't see Jesus as God.

Scripture states plainly that Jesus is God.

You have to willfully deny this truth.

What is the difference between God and the IMAGE or FORM of GOD?
Man was made in the image of God too. But Jesus had to lower himself to become man.

This is not a dumb question friend.

The Greek tells us that the 'image' is a physical representation.

Apple7

I hope your not giving up on me, that is not in your nature.
Knowledge is one thing, wisdom is another.

Job 28:28 And unto man he said, Behold, the fear of the Lord, that is wisdom; and to depart from evil is understanding.

Psa 111:10 The fear of the LORD is the beginning of wisdom: a good understanding have all they that do his commandments: his praise endureth for ever.

Pro 3:13 Happy is the man that findeth wisdom, and the man that getteth understanding.

I am a happy guy Apple7. I am still seeking more wisdom.

That's good, brother...hopefully you will achieve your goals one day soon...

keypurr

Look at how you ignore John 2.19 - 22; 10.17 - 18

I have some more notes for you, but you will not like them. There Pauls post when Godrulz was posting on this subject

Godrulz post

I already told you that there are verses that say Jesus raised Himself from the dead, God raised Him from the dead, the Father raised Him, the Holy Spirit raised Him (cf. verses to show that all also created, yet one Creator).

This is further evidence of the trinity. Your proof texts that the triune God raised Him does not negate the verses that give credit to each personal distinction within God.

Pauls Rebuttal

Really, let's review one of my old post...

"I lay down my life in order to take it up again. No one takes it from me, but I lay it down on my own. I have power to lay it down, and power to take it up again. This commandment I have received from my Father."

Your argument is that Jesus is saying that he will raise himself, and since in other verses it says that God raised Jesus, then Jesus must be God.

First let me say that just plain common sense destroys this argument. The Bible is very clear that Jesus died. It does not say that part of him died, it says "Jesus died" (all of him). The Platonic argument that only his human side died is just that, Platonic (from Greek philosophy). Even if you believe that, if only part of him died, then he is not truly dead.

So if we say that Jesus raised himself, we then have to come to the conclusion that Jesus is not dead because he is alive enough to raise himself. So our only alternative is to say that the word of God is wrong when it says that Jesus died. So now we are in a position that says that the Bible is incorrect. This is ludicrous, the Bible is not wrong and it is utterly clear that Jesus died.

This also brings up the point that if Jesus is Almighty God, and God is immortal, how can you kill God?

Even from a Trinitarian point of view, this verse does not work. In Trinitarian theology the three separate persons have their distinct roles. The Father is the one who is supposed to have raised Jesus not the Son. No Trinitarian theologian would agree that the Son raised himself the same way they would never agree that the Father was crucified on the cross. The idea that Jesus raised himself is anti-Trinitarian. So if you believe that Jesus raised himself, congratulations, you belong to a denomination that is anti-Trinitarian. Look at what a Catholic Bible the NAB which is about as Trinitarian as it gets, says about this verse:

Footnote on Jn. 10:17-18: "Power to take it up again" – contrasts the role of the Father as the efficient cause of the resurrection in Acts 2:24, 4:10 etc. Romans 1:4, 4:24.

Now let us see what this verse really means.

First the word here translated as "power" is exousia. It occurs just over 100 times, in a majority of these occurrences the RV translates it as "authority," and 10 times as "right." It is not the common word for "power" which is dunamis which means - power, strength, ability.

Both AV and RV translate exousia as "right," for instance, in Rev. 22:14:

"Blessed are they that do his commandments, that they may have right (exousia) to the tree of life."

This obviously does not mean that obeying God’s commands gives a man the phisical power to raise himself from the dead to immortality, but that he is thereby granted a right to it.

Even more to the point is Jn 1:12:

"But to those that did accept him he gave power (exousia, RV- right) to become children of God."

The AV margins gives "right or privilege." Believers have been given the right or privilege of becoming children of God, they have not been given the power to become the children of God.

These passages above illustrate what Jesus meant when he said he had exousia – the right to take up his life again after having laid it down in death.

As to who actually raised Jesus from the dead, the Scriptures leave not the slightest doubt. Time after time we are told that God raised him from the dead. Consider very particularly the record in Acts 2 for a clear understanding of the relation between Christ and God. Acts 2:22 states,

"Jesus of Nazareth, a MAN accredited by God to by miracles, wonders and signs, which God did among you through him."

It then says in verse 24,

"But God raised him up."

Then in verses 25-28 it speaks of the promise that God made to David.

"For David says of him: Because you (GOD) will not abandon my soul (Jesus) to the netherworld, nor will you suffer your holy one to see corruption."

Verse 30 -32 goes on to say on the same subject:

"But since he was a prophet (David) and knew that God had sworn an oath to him that he would set one of his descendants upon his thrown, he foresaw and spoke of the resurrection of the Messiah, that neither was he abandoned to the netherworld nor did his flesh see corruption. GOD RAISED THIS JESUS, of this we are all witnesses."

This next verse is about as clear as it can get:

Here are a few more verses which all state that God raised Jesus from the dead. Please look them all up.

One thing to especially notice of John 10:17-18 is, it says:

"I have the power to take it up again. This commandment I have received from my Father."

It should be noted that the very context of these verses quoted to support the Trinity are directly contrary to the all-powerful, co-equal, none greater or less theory. The Father gave his Son a commandment. This is not equality.

One last thing, let us look at another verse on the same subject to see even more clearly that Jesus did not say or mean that he would resurrect himself. We go to Mark 14:58:

"We heard him say, I will destroy this temple made with hands and within three days I will build another not made with hands."

If we insist that when Jesus says that he will build another temple that it means that he will resurrect himself, then when he says that he will destroy the temple, that has to mean that he will kill himself.

Did Jesus kill himself? No. Someone else did it. Did Jesus raise himself? No. Someone else did it, God. You cannot have it both ways. You must apply the same rule to both sides.

It is very clear who raised Jesus. Let us end this study with two verses.

Acts 3:13 – "The God of Abraham, the God of Isaac, and the God of Jacob, the God of our ancestors, has glorified his servant Jesus."

Who glorified his servant? The God of Abraham, Jacob, the God of our ancestors. Do you interpret the verse above as if Jesus is the God of our ancestors? Of course not. Jesus is his servant.

Acts 5:30 – "The God of our ancestors raised Jesus."

So who raised Jesus?

1 Jesus.

2 The God of our ancestors.

3 Obama

If you picked any answer but 2 you have not been paying attention.

What makes sense to you?