Oregon Community College Shooting - What law (if any) could have prevented it?

Alate_One

I'm fine with more strict gun laws so long as responsible people are able to access firearms. I think the problem is much harder to solve because most of these attacks are committed with illegally acquired weapons. More strict gun laws won't have any impact whatsoever on illegal gun ownership (except maybe to make illegal gun sales go up). The only possible solution I see to stopping these attacks is to have a few armed and highly trained guards hired to protect designated gun-free zones.

It would really help if we could at least have this discussion with a common set of facts.

mass-shooting-legally.jpg

Source

Greg Jennings

It would really help if we could at least have this discussion with a common set of facts.

mass-shooting-legally.jpg

Source

Well you got me there I freely admit. Do you have a better solution to the mass shooting problem than my suggestion of armed guards? I don't think you'll disagree that even if guns were totally outlawed then those who want to get them will still find a way, right?

Stripe

Teenage Adaptive Ninja Turtle
LIFETIME MEMBER
Hall of Fame
Okay... what do you suggest?

If I was a place of business, I'd want armed people who I trust on hand. Regulations that stand in the way of people carrying firearms need to be redacted.

It might also be good for business to hire armed guards.

Also, if I were to visit a public place, I'd want the owners there to have the same sort of freedom.

However, it seems laws only ever move toward restricting people's access to weapons.

Greg Jennings

If I was a place of business, I'd want armed people who I trust on hand. Regulations that stand in the way of people carrying firearms need to be redacted.

It might also be good for business to hire armed guards.

Also, if I were to visit a public place, I'd want the owners there to have the same sort of freedom.

However, it seems laws only ever move toward restricting people's access to weapons.

Do you oppose background checks for those wishing to purchase firearms? If so why?

Stripe

LIFETIME MEMBER
Hall of Fame
Alate has a point — if you remove guns, there is less chance of someone using a gun in a mass shooting.

However, the ideology of liberty is sold using her approach.

Her way forces people to make the choice between freedom and submission to tyranny. Though the tyranny makes arguments that try to sound "nice" and "safe."

Stripe

LIFETIME MEMBER
Hall of Fame
Do you oppose background checks for those wishing to purchase firearms? If so why?

I don't oppose any sensible legislation. If you can justify the expense and maintenance of a law against the gains it might bring, then I'm all for it.

Background checks clearly don't do anything but make it more difficult for good people to own a gun, which is the exact opposite of what we want.

Greg Jennings

I don't oppose any sensible legislation. If you can justify the expense and maintenance of a law against the gains it might bring, then I'm all for it.

Background checks clearly don't do anything but make it more difficult for good people to own a gun, which is the exact opposite of what we want.

Agreed

Greg Jennings

Something interesting to note in your link: go up and down the list. You'll notice that more often than not the cities on the list are the cities with the strictest gun control policies. Chicago is all over that list and it has arguably the toughest gun laws in the country. And this leads us back to the fact that criminals, and obviously all felons, often don't get their guns legally anyway. There are too many ways to circumvent the system. I'm not sure how to fix that problem.

This Charming Manc

There are two thought in response to that;

Gun control wont work at city or state level, if guns are freely available across an open border, you peeing in the wind with any attempt at gun control, it needs to be federal and unform to ne effective.

2nd is have the high murder rates lead to stricter gun controls in the cities with the worst issues? I suspect that is the case.

I also suspect that there is not single a gun culture in the sates but there are gun cultures, the two which are clear to me is the inner city gang gun culture and rural american gun culture, I suspect there is more differentiation which is obvious if you are closer .

However due to the first point all gun cultures need to be policed and legislated in a similar manner.

Something interesting to note in your link: go up and down the list. You'll notice that more often than not the cities on the list are the cities with the strictest gun control policies. Chicago is all over that list and it has arguably the toughest gun laws in the country. And this leads us back to the fact that criminals, and obviously all felons, often don't get their guns legally anyway. There are too many ways to circumvent the system. I'm not sure how to fix that problem.

musterion

Since we already have gun ownership requirements and registration...

1. Unrestricted gun ownership and concealed carry nationwide, in all public places. Castle Doctrine extended to your own personal space, wherever you are. If a state or locality still refuses to allow it or harasses those who abide by the law, sue them for violating your rights or move. The relatively high crime rates in those areas will speak for them in the near future.

2. Outlaw all "gun free" zones, aka Free Fire Zones/Target Rich Environments/Murder Magnets.

3. Train and require off-duty police and military to carry at all times.

4. Summary death penalty by public/televised execution for anyone found guilty by jury of murder (by any means, not just firearms). No imprisonment, no appeal...you die that same day as an example to others. Mental illness will be no excuse, and the family of any minor convicted of murder will pay all court costs and restitution to the families of all victims.

5. If it is proven you shot and wounded/killed in order to save the life of yourself or another, you get a medal and are rendered immune from pestiferous lawsuits.

Do I expect any of it to happen? Not with leftists running things and using incidents like this one to further brainwash the public to fear guns. Never happen.

exminister

No law can stop a tragedy like this, but two measures would greatly reduce the incidence of mass shootings and murder in general:
First, redact gun regulations. Encourage people to carry. If just one of the people who were murdered were packing heat, the death toll could have been zero.
Second, institute the death penalty to be enforced swiftly and painfully. If would-be murderers saw how they would end up, they would be deterred from acting.

Stripe,
What kind of gun laws do the have in Taiwan? Do things like this happen regularly there?

It appears these wackos would not be deterred by the death penalty. They don't surrender. I think it's a murder-suicide event. They either kill themselves or have the police do it for them. If captured I do agree the death penalty should be done quickly after a clear conviction. Taxpayers shouldn't support these people anymore than necessary. It is an act of terrorism and there should only be a death sentence not life allowed. These are public cases and it is clear who done it.

Stripe

LIFETIME MEMBER
Hall of Fame
What kind of gun laws do the have in Taiwan?
Extremely tight. Nobody but a criminal (illegally) or an Aborigine (via exceptions) would have one among the public.

Do things like this happen regularly there?
Mass shootings? No. Mass stabbings have become a bit of a trend.

It appears these wackos would not be deterred by the death penalty.
There's no harm in trying. :up:

Alate_One

Alate has a point — if you remove guns, there is less chance of someone using a gun in a mass shooting.

However, the ideology of liberty is sold using her approach.

Her way forces people to make the choice between freedom and submission to tyranny. Though the tyranny makes arguments that try to sound "nice" and "safe."

If you think having guns allows the public to avoid government oppression you are sorely mistaken.

The US has the most powerful military in the world. What are handguns and semiautomatic rifles against drones, bombers, vx poison gas and nuclear weapons? If the government wanted to oppress its citizens there wouldn't be much we could do about it through the use of force.

So the only point to having a gun is really making you feel better. And I can understand that feeling, firearms are powerful weapons. And having power makes you feel powerful and therefore safer.

Unfortunately research shows that having a gun in the home raises the risk of homicide and suicide by guns. Having a gun in the home can turn an argument deadly and make suicide that much easier. There are strong correlations with gun availability and gun deaths worldwide.

So if you're pro-life you should be anti-gun. It's as simple as that.

Alate_One

It's not supposed to happen at all. That's how it's always sold. Stop being deliberately obtuse.

You're making the perfect the enemy of the good. Eliminating every possible gun related death is never the goal, it's reducing them by a substantial margin. It's the same as any law that makes something illegal. You'll never completely eliminate it, but that's not the point.

Alate_One

It appears these wackos would not be deterred by the death penalty. They don't surrender. I think it's a murder-suicide event. They either kill themselves or have the police do it for them. If captured I do agree the death penalty should be done quickly after a clear conviction. Taxpayers shouldn't support these people anymore than necessary. It is an act of terrorism and there should only be a death sentence not life allowed. These are public cases and it is clear who done it.

This is a good point. There is a societal drive to do this sort of thing purely for the infamy involved (this was pointed out by another poster earlier).

The sheriff involved in this case had made it a point not to repeat the shooter's name. If that were adopted by the media wholesale, it might help with the motivation of at least some people.