Oregon Community College Shooting - What law (if any) could have prevented it?

Alate_One

Criminals and crazy people don't obey the law, so no law could have prevented this.

I guess you guys have the same opinion on abortion right? You can't catch all the pregnant women who might get abortions since it's not something done in public, so why have a law against it?

Understand that the vast majority of weapons used in mass shooting were obtained legally.

mass-shooting-legally.jpg

Source

Making something illegal isn't about stopping every possible incident of something, it's about making it more difficult to do.

Quetzal

Overall it might cost millions but not for each individual school.

With the price of tuition from thousands of students I'm sure the schools could easily afford it. I think it's reasonable to require that the school properly secure it's customers.
Especially in the grand scheme of things. Universities invest MILLIONS into athletics and student activities. If they cannot swing 40k a year to help save lives, that is on them.

oatmeal

A gunman opens fire and kills at least 10 at the Umpqua Community College in Oregon.

President Obama made a statement saying congress should enact gun control laws.

So I want to know....

What law could have prevented yesterday's tragedy?

Laws do not prevent crimes.

Laws declare certain activities to be illegal and some declare the potential legal consequences for doing illegal activities.

Laws are not self enforcing.

Moral character prevents wrong doing.

Nathon Detroit

LIFETIME MEMBER
LIFETIME MEMBER
Unless the shooter is familiar with the location and knows the schedules of guards. The shooter could easily be on the other side of campus or building from the guards. For an average college classroom building, being o the opposite side represents a fair distance.
There are no complete failsafes that's true.

But a well trained security staff is a powerful deterrent against crime.

Nathon Detroit

LIFETIME MEMBER
LIFETIME MEMBER
Laws do not prevent crimes.

Laws declare certain activities to be illegal and some declare the potential legal consequences for doing illegal activities.

Laws are not self enforcing.

Moral character prevents wrong doing.
So what do you suggest?

Nathon Detroit

LIFETIME MEMBER
LIFETIME MEMBER
I agree that armed guards would have helped in this situation, but legislating for such measures is writing defeat into law. Lawmakers should prepare laws from an idealist's perspective, ie, make rules as if there wasn't a murder epidemic to deal with.
Okay... what do you suggest?

Nathon Detroit

LIFETIME MEMBER
LIFETIME MEMBER
Guys.... I've put my idea out there and I think it would help dramatically. Is it foolproof? Of course not. Could law makers screw it up? Possibly.

But at least it's a logical, possible, and doable, solution that could be implemented extremely fast.

Now... if you have a better idea that's an actual, possible, doable, solution I want to hear it.

Ktoyou

Hall of Fame
As I have said, "Any gun control measure only effects those good citizens who obey the law..."

Nathon Detroit

LIFETIME MEMBER
LIFETIME MEMBER
Which building? Note, the distance across campus is measured in miles.

CUBoulder_LabMap_Color.jpg
A school like CU of Boulder would need a staff of trained, armed, security guards to add to the ones they already have (many big schools already have security).

So lets add more. Lets be more diligent. Lets come up with a doable solution.

Nathon Detroit

LIFETIME MEMBER
LIFETIME MEMBER
Not really. An armed guard could have stopped this guy, if he was alert and prepare for the incident and if the guy wasn't ready to do anything in order to get as many victims as possible. If there was more than one armed guard, there would be more of a possibility of stopping this incident.

I've read of many incidents where the shooter/s who would stop at nothing to kill as many people as possible. The survivors of those incidents would talk about the heightened senses of the killer/s. The way I read them, the killer/s were ready for pretty much anything.

I'm not a gun control nut. I don't believe that we need more gun laws (we should enforce the ones we have, instead, if we keep all of them). In fact, I think we have too many gun laws at this time.
Even still.... isn't having an armed guard better than not having an armed guard???

Heck.... even a terribly trained armed guard would be better than nothing.

At least the shooter would have some resistance while the police are in transit.

genuineoriginal

Understand that the vast majority of weapons used in mass shooting were obtained legally.

Yes, and so were the mind-altering drugs prescribed to the people that caused them to go on the killing rampages.

_____
Every mass shooting over last 20 years has one thing in common... and it's not guns

(Ammoland.com) Nearly every mass shooting incident in the last twenty years, and multiple other instances of suicide and isolated shootings all share one thing in common, and it's not the weapons used.

The overwhelming evidence points to the signal largest common factor in all of these incidents is the fact that all of the perpetrators were either actively taking powerful psychotropic drugs or had been at some point in the immediate past before they committed their crimes.
_____​

Nathon Detroit

LIFETIME MEMBER
LIFETIME MEMBER
I guess you guys have the same opinion on abortion right? You can't catch all the pregnant women who might get abortions since it's not something done in public, so why have a law against it?

mass-shooting-legally.jpg

Source

Making something illegal isn't about stopping every possible incident of something, it's about making it more difficult to do.
WOW!!

That was a brilliant response and I couldn't agree more.

And that's why I say.... having trained, armed, security, at colleges and other schools should be mandatory.

If I'm paying thousands of dollars to send my kids to college I expect that the college should be required to do their best to protect my children.

Nathon Detroit

LIFETIME MEMBER
LIFETIME MEMBER
As I have said, "Any gun control measure only effects those good citizens who obey the law..."
BINGO! And that's why I am opposed to gun control laws.

The president is protected by a trained and armed security force. Schools should have trained, armed, protection as well.

Ktoyou

Hall of Fame
Stating the gun was 'obtained legally' means nothing! The user, in most all cases, did not obtained it legally.

Alate_One

A school like CU of Boulder would need a staff of trained, armed, security guards to add to the ones they already have (many big schools already have security).

So lets add more. Lets be more diligent. Lets come up with a doable solution.
The expense of having a staff of armed guards in every college in the USA would be incredibly expensive. People are already complaining about the cost and quality of education.

And there's no guarantee armed guards would protect anyone.

When I was at university, the residence hall manager reported another student for drug use. The reported student went to wal-mart, bought a shotgun and then shot the residence hall manager then shot himself. He could have gone through the building shooting people just as easily. The entire campus went on lockdown and there were snipers on our recreation building since nobody knew the shooter was already dead. Even if every building on campus had a guard, if they were on the wrong floor when the shooting started, then lots of people still die.

Campuses are wide open with people walking all over the place, gatherings at all hours etc. They're almost impossible to secure.

All of this to avoid the elephant in the room, reducing the number of guns available for mass shootings. That's what the rest of the world does.

Nathon Detroit

LIFETIME MEMBER
LIFETIME MEMBER
Stating the gun was 'obtained legally' means nothing! The user, in most all cases, did not obtained it legally.
Yep. And... if we made guns illegal to buy... guns would still exist and criminals would get their hands on them and use them against un-armed people.

Ktoyou

Hall of Fame
BINGO! And that's why I am opposed to gun control laws.

The president is protected by a trained and armed security force. Schools should have trained, armed, protection as well.

I do agree we should have better policing of schools and colleges. The main problem is, however, those who legally purchase a firearm are not willing to take proper care.

Anytime I have anyone at my home who I may not know well, or any minor, I lock up my guns.

Nathon Detroit

LIFETIME MEMBER
LIFETIME MEMBER
The expense of having a staff of armed guards in every college in the USA would be incredibly expensive. People are already complaining about the cost and quality of education.
Too bad. Colleges makes billions of dollars and it's their obligation to protect their customers.

And there's no guarantee armed guards would protect anyone.
Nothing is a guarantee. Therefore what? We give up?

Nathon Detroit

LIFETIME MEMBER
LIFETIME MEMBER
Anytime I have anyone at my home who I may not know well, or any minor, I lock up my guns.
Exactly!

In your house.... it's your responsibility to make sure everyone is safe.

In a college.... it's their responsibility to make sure everyone is safe.