NRA feeling optimistic

Nihilo

BANNED
Banned
It would be nice to have a better safety
That's what I'm talking about. A safety that isn't difficult to disengage for any adult, under extreme stress/adrenaline, life threatening fear/fight/flight, but at the same time, isn't something a kid will figure out, no matter how long he has to play with it if he finds it, loaded, and easily grabbed.

The best safety for this is of course to keep the gun from the kid in the first place, but the main problem with kids and guns is when they do find one, they can disengage the safety and shoot it.

patrick jane

BANNED
Banned
That's what I'm talking about. A safety that isn't difficult to disengage for any adult, under extreme stress/adrenaline, life threatening fear/fight/flight, but at the same time, isn't something a kid will figure out, no matter how long he has to play with it if he finds it, loaded, and easily grabbed.

The best safety for this is of course to keep the gun from the kid in the first place, but the main problem with kids and guns is when they do find one, they can disengage the safety and shoot it.
Technology could someday use a fingerprint to activate the gun, so nobody but you can fire it.

Nihilo

BANNED
Banned
Technology could someday use a fingerprint to activate the gun, so nobody but you can fire it.
Yup, and that's mentioned in the link. I'm wondering if there is something that'd be just as effective, or 95% as effective as a finger-print safety or something like that, but that is less tech/battery and more mechanical/clever. :idunno:

:)

Nihilo

BANNED
Banned
A gun in a safe is just a paper weight.
:chuckle:

I don't think we're there yet, with guns. Not until we tote around rifles wherever we go, not until SAWs are legal for civilians; these things are part of the right future with guns. It's more guns, not less. And, it's less crime, and less murder in particular, and less suicide, and less kids' accidental shootings, but it's more guns, and it's more firepower per gun; that's the right future. Safer and more dangerous, all at once.

Nihilo

BANNED
Banned
Not good news, not bad news; just news. Drug overdose claims more victims than guns in America, as do car wrecks. Almost all fatal car wrecks, and fatal drug overdoses, are unintentional deaths. By contrast, only very few fatalities due to guns in America are by accident. So tell me whether illicit drugs, automobiles, or guns are the more dangerous things, among things? It's not guns.

Statistically.

http://us.cnn.com/2017/06/29/health/opioid-addiction-rates-increase-500/index.html

Nihilo

BANNED
Banned
http://www.npr.org/2017/06/22/533792054/americans-agree-on-some-gun-restrictions-pew-survey-finds

Just some current information. Results of a 4,000-American poll.

30% of Americans own at least one gun.
Of the 70% who do not, 52% could see themselves becoming a gun owner in the future.
Maybe 5% of Americans who own guns do not, for one reason or another, support gun rights/RKBA/Second Amendment, so there's maybe 25% of Americans who own guns, who also support the RKBA.

52% of the 70% of Americans who do not own guns, presumably support the RKBA also, so that's about 35%.

25% + 35% = 60%, and that's why reports in the past couple years, of the looming demise of the Republican party, were greatly exaggerated, because while over the past decade or two, when the Repubs have both wisely and rightly doubled down on support for the RKBA, Dems have maintained their characteristically low support for this civil right.

Someone saw it coming.

Nihilo

BANNED
Banned
https://us.cnn.com/2017/12/06/politics/gun-restrictions-house-vote-concealed-carry/index.html

I hope it becomes law, but not because I'm a fan of concealing deadly weapons, because I'm not.

I'm a fan of openly carrying standard issue service rifles and carbines---standard issue weaponry. I believe concealing deadly weapons is what criminals do, and we shouldn't be permitting people to do it. The problem is that things are so backwards right now, that it's illegal in many places to carry military and police, standard issue weaponry publicly, so concealing deadly weapons is chosen instead, in order to recognize the civil right to bear arms (half of the RKBA).

So I'll take this reciprocity bill, hopefully it does become law, given the climate wrt the RKBA, it's a good thing, but all things being equal, I don't like concealed deadly weapons, because that's historically something that only criminals do. It's not a good idea to condone and encourage peaceable, law abiding private citizens to become accustomed to and familiar with criminal activity, and activity associated with criminals.

patrick jane

BANNED
Banned