New Poll: Most voters disagree with FBI's decision not to indict except deomcrats

rexlunae

I partially agree but I'm not completely shocked considering the environment we're in right now. I think mostly surprised that Cruz didn't catch on more.

There's one important rule of Ted Cruz: no one likes Ted Cruz. Not his colleagues in the Senate, not his roommates, not his wife, not his daughter, not his mother. He lives amongst people who have been forced to tolerate him for one reason or another.

jgarden

BANNED
Banned
There's one important rule of Ted Cruz: no one likes Ted Cruz. Not his colleagues in the Senate, not his roommates, not his wife, not his daughter, not his mother. He lives amongst people who have been forced to tolerate him for one reason or another.
The real shock was that conservative Christians abandoned Cruz and the others for Trump - the antithesis of Christians values.

jgarden

BANNED
Banned

The Rich and the Kingdom of God (Matthew 18:16-24)

16 Just then a man came up to Jesus and asked, “Teacher, what good thing must I do to get eternal life?”

17 “Why do you ask me about what is good?” Jesus replied. “There is only One who is good. If you want to enter life, keep the commandments.”

18 “Which ones?” he inquired. Jesus replied, “ ‘You shall not murder, you shall not commit adultery, you shall not steal, you shall not give false testimony,

19 honor your father and mother,’ and ‘love your neighbor as yourself.’

20 “All these I have kept,” the young man said. “What do I still lack?”

21 Jesus answered, “If you want to be perfect, go, sell your possessions and give to the poor, and you will have treasure in heaven. Then come, follow me.”

22 When the young man heard this, he went away sad, because he had great wealth.

23 Then Jesus said to his disciples, “Truly I tell you, it is hard for someone who is rich to enter the kingdom of heaven.

24 Again I tell you, it is easier for a camel to go through the eye of a needle than for someone who is rich to enter the kingdom of God.”
The real shock was that conservative Christians shifted their loyalties from Cruz and others over to Trump - apparently they have chosen to either ignore Matthew 18:16-24 or turned to some "self-serving interpretation" that allows them to climb into bed with a multi-billionaire!

jeffblue101

Hillary and her staff can still and should face administrative sanctions in the form of revoking her current access to CIA briefings and her staff being blocked from working in the white house if she is elected.

rexlunae

Hillary and her staff can still and should face administrative sanctions in the form of revoking her current access to CIA briefings and her staff being blocked from working in the white house if she is elected.

That's an interesting point. It seems like there might be latitude for the CIA to take an action like that. But then, certainly if she won the election, she couldn't stay cut off from the briefs. The whole reason we give presidential candidates classified briefs is continuity, so that someone new doesn't come in totally unprepared and unbriefed. So, it's not really for her sake that she's getting those briefs. That said, it would be fair to say that she can't exactly be trusted with some of those secrets.

rexlunae

The real shock was that conservative Christians abandoned Cruz and the others for Trump - the antithesis of Christians values.

The real shock was that conservative Christians shifted their loyalties from Cruz and others over to Trump - apparently they have chosen to either ignore Matthew 18:16-24 or turned to some "self-serving interpretation" that allows them to climb into bed with a multi-billionaire!

I don't think political Christianity in the US is exactly about Christianity. And really, no one can stand Cruz...

ok doser

lifeguard at the cement pond
Just look at how Trump handled it. He could have had a pretty good day (or longer) but he started spouting off about a bribe between Lynch and the Clintons.

doesn't matter

Hillary's been branded "extremely careless"

that should be the final nail in the coffin

ok doser

lifeguard at the cement pond
You are a layman with some experience and understanding of the literal reading of the law. You're also someone with no experience or real understanding of how and why that black letter law has been applied in cases like this or tends to be, of the ins and outs of prosecutorial discretion and reliance on precedent.

iow, rocketdude, just shut up and leave the legal analysis to the self-proclaimed "experts" :darwinsm:

Town Heretic

Out of Order
Hall of Fame
And speaking of experts, this came as no real shock to many in the profession. Say, Laurie Levenson, professor of law and Chair in Ethical Advocacy at Loyola Law School, where she also heads the Post-Conviction Litigation Clinic. Levenson has taught evidence, advanced trial advocacy, and other courses on criminal law.

In a National Law Journal article she wrote that criminal statutes relating to classified information normally require "a knowing or intentional disclosure or mishandling" of that information, adding, "It is difficult to find prior cases where the unwise handling of classified information led to a federal indictment. For the last 20 years, the federal statutes have been used when there were intentional unauthorized disclosures."

Mark M

I believe Clinton should have been arrested and charged and prosecuted for her blatant crimes. She's a cheat and a liar.

Town Heretic

Out of Order
Hall of Fame
i was speaking to rocketdude
Well, I did say to OR about me.

quote_icon.png
Originally Posted by Town Heretic
You are a layman with some experience and understanding of the literal reading of the law. You're also someone with no experience or real understanding of how and why that black letter law has been applied in cases like this or tends to be, of the ins and outs of prosecutorial discretion and reliance on precedent.
iow, rocketdude, just shut up and leave the legal analysis to the self-proclaimed "experts"
It really comes across. :plain:

What I actually said in that was he lacked an understanding of the law beyond a black letter reading.

about self-proclaimed "experts"
Wouldn't know much about that, not having self-declared an expertise on the point, though I have noted any number of people who would qualify and I've cited them, most recently Laurie Levenson, Loyola law professor.

:mock:town, the pathetic loser
If you ever put away childish things would you have anything left? :think:

rocketman

Resident Rocket Surgeon
Hall of Fame
I am not taking a position on whether or not the outcome is a good one, because I can truly see either position. What matter are the circumstances of the current case. Clinton was a civilian political appointee, and no longer works at State. The law, as it exists, and the way that the law has been interpreted and enforced does not recommend charges here. The challenge to you is to find an actual parallel case which could sustain such a prosecution under the laws that apply to civilians with no current government job. If she still worked at State, she might be subject to some kind of disciplinary action, as Comey suggested, which would be comparable to the discharge or reprimand your marine case resulted in. But that isn't an option here. And if her actions were clearly intentional, she could be prosecuted as Petreus was. Neither of those cases apply, although new evidence could support the later. But the fact that it hasn't been found after a litany of investigations suggests that it likely doesn't exist, and she likely didn't intentionally do anything wrong. If we started prosecuting civilians who accidentally disclose classified information, I think we'd have a different situation, but it also might be a lot harder to find people willing to do certain jobs, and we'd end up with a lot more prosecutions of people honestly doing their best for the country. Such a policy shouldn't begin with the hyperpartisan environment of a cabinet-level office or a current presidential candidate, in any case.

I disagree, no parallel needs to be drawn Rex. It is absolutely absurd that anyone can contend that removing classified information from its proper place, storing, transmitting, or destroying classified information is not a crime. People are fined, have their clearances revoked, and are imprisoned for much less without public fanfare so, I don't feel inclined, nor do I see necessity to hunt down a parallel. I am not saying the woman should be imprisoned Rex, though I believe it rises to that level but, to get a complete pass without having her clearances revoked, no fine, nothing...Heck even Sandy Berger had to pay a $50,000 fine, was given 2 years probation, and had his clearance revoked for taking documents from the national archives and destroying them. I am sorry, I disagree with you, no precedent or parallel needs to be drawn to convict a person of laws that they clearly broke knowingly, and you cannot make a case that a former first lady, U.S. Senator, or former Secretary of State did not know the rules for this...it is just not flying with me personally, or with the majority of Americans as well. The fact remains crimes were committed and she & the American people deserve to see her receive some level of punishment for them, and a pass is simply unacceptable.

rocketman

Resident Rocket Surgeon
Hall of Fame
Well,
What I actually said in that was he lacked an understanding of the law beyond a black letter reading.

Bullcrap! I understand perfectly that the law is interpreted & applied differently depending on who you are. If I had done the same as Hillary, I would have been convicted & sitting in a cell at leavenworth in short order but, for the lying felon Hillary....a pass. Yes, I understand how the double standard of the law works perfectly. :down:

rexlunae

I disagree, no parallel needs to be drawn Rex. It is absolutely absurd that anyone can contend that removing classified information from its proper place, storing, transmitting, or destroying classified information is not a crime. People are fined, have their clearances revoked, and are imprisoned for much less without public fanfare so, I don't feel inclined, nor do I see necessity to hunt down a parallel. I am not saying the woman should be imprisoned Rex, though I believe it rises to that level but, to get a complete pass without having her clearances revoked, no fine, nothing...Heck even Sandy Berger had to pay a $50,000 fine, was given 2 years probation, and had his clearance revoked for taking documents from the national archives and destroying them. I am sorry, I disagree with you, no precedent or parallel needs to be drawn to convict a person of laws that they clearly broke knowingly, and you cannot make a case that a former first lady, U.S. Senator, or former Secretary of State did not know the rules for this...it is just not flying with me personally, or with the majority of Americans as well. The fact remains crimes were committed and she & the American people deserve to see her receive some level of punishment for them, and a pass is simply unacceptable.

If you had read my last link, you'd know that the state department has opening an investigation to determine if an administrative penalty such as loss of clearances or access should be imposed upon Clinton or her senior staff. That could have serious consequences to a Clinton White House, because while you can't really keep the President in the dark, it could jeapordize nominations she might want to make. Yes, Obama's State department, run by John Kerry, is investigating Clinton...but it's all politics, right? No one is just doing their job fairly?

Also, I'm not sure you can put a civilian in Leavenworth. So, if you were expecting that...