New atheist here

Status
Not open for further replies.

Stripe

Teenage Adaptive Ninja Turtle
LIFETIME MEMBER
Hall of Fame
I think you already know a lot of those answers and getting into this will resolve nothing.

Not at all! You seem to believe that someone or some group invented a character called Jesus. Can you tell us why you believe that?

Shibby

Why do you believe someone wouldn't invent a character to give hope? Again, that's more of rhetorical question, but I'm trying to show that the questions may give an answer, but it doesn't make it the right answer.

Stripe

LIFETIME MEMBER
Hall of Fame
Why do you believe someone wouldn't invent a character to give hope? Again, that's more of rhetorical question, but I'm trying to show that the questions may give an answer, but it doesn't make it the right answer.

The question is: Why do you reject Christ as saviour?

The "right answer" to that is probably going to be whatever you say it is.

Shibby

Do you believe it's possible that someone would invent or highly embellish the stories of Jesus for personal motives? If you say no, then you belive no man is capable of this. If you say yes then you have a reason why I believe anyone has reason or cause for doing so.

Stripe

LIFETIME MEMBER
Hall of Fame
Do you believe it's possible that someone would invent or highly embellish the stories of Jesus for personal motives? If you say no, then you belive no man is capable of this. If you say yes then you have a reason why I believe anyone has reason or cause for doing so.

Not only do I believe it is possible, but there are also numerous examples of it.

Is your answer that you reject Christ because people embellish stories?

Shibby

I don't accept christ as an answer for many of reasons. Why do you accept christ knowing that people lie, cheat and steal since the beginning of time. To me you are accepting ancient stories when to me it's illogical to just take their word for it.

Stripe

LIFETIME MEMBER
Hall of Fame
I don't accept christ as an answer for many of reasons. Why do you accept christ knowing that people lie, cheat and steal since the beginning of time. To me you are accepting ancient stories when to me it's illogical to just take their word for it.

If you're not prepared to take people's word then you're not prepared to believe much at all...

Just give us one good reason...

Shibby

I don't really know how to help you grasp the idea that it's all the same to me. I know the Santa Claus analogy is used a lot, but I probably believed more in Santa as a kid than I did in Jesus.

^I'm really confused on how this is hypocrytical.

Mr. 5020

Yes, people have lied, cheated and stolen for thousands of years. Nevertheless, I believe that George Washington existed. I believe he existed because of the evidence that indicates his existence. However, if I wanted to, I could say that Washington never existed, because people lie, cheat and steal.

Truppenzwei

Supreme Goombah of the Goombahs
LIFETIME MEMBER
^I'm really confused on how this is hypocrytical.

It is hypocritical to equate Jesus with Santa Claus and Superman. The simple fact of the matter is that there is plenty of historical, scientific evidence that Jesus existed - denying this and saying he is a mad-up character is hypocritical if one purports to only make decisions based on the evidence - as atheists tend to claim.

It was me that negrepped you. I didn't realise you couldn't see who repped you - must be a subscriber-level thing.

Regards
T.

Stripe

LIFETIME MEMBER
Hall of Fame
You think someone made Jesus up.

That's your answer? That's the best reason you have for rejecting your saviour?

Shibby

It is hypocritical to equate Jesus with Santa Claus and Superman. The simple fact of the matter is that there is plenty of historical, scientific evidence that Jesus existed - denying this and saying he is a mad-up character is hypocritical if one purports to only make decisions based on the evidence - as atheists tend to claim.

It was me that negrepped you. I didn't realise you couldn't see who repped you - must be a subscriber-level thing.

Regards
T.

If I were to hand someone that has no idea what religion is, a bible and a stack of superman comic books, they would not be able to tell which is more true. Superman has events happening during historical events. But again, I haven't decided if I think Jesus was a real person or not, just that I don't believe the stories about him are very accurate if at all. I'm not trying to offend anyone, I am just trying to answer questions in way that give you an idea to how I, as an atheist, see things differently.

Shibby

You think someone made Jesus up.

That's your answer? That's the best reason you have for rejecting your saviour?

Not the best, just one of them. I don't think I could give you my "best" reason. I have have never tried to place a value on each reason.

Shibby

Yes, people have lied, cheated and stolen for thousands of years. Nevertheless, I believe that George Washington existed. I believe he existed because of the evidence that indicates his existence. However, if I wanted to, I could say that Washington never existed, because people lie, cheat and steal.

If it was that simple, we wouldn't be here online right now.

Status
Not open for further replies.