Modern science is crazy again

rexlunae

Dislocation of tens of millions of people is a bigger deal than most people think. It's the stuff that brings down nations and triggers wars and famines.

It is, and it could approach hundreds of millions. But there are a lot of other risks, including the uncertainty of a possible carbon explosion, possible unrecognized dependencies on marine life that's likely to experience massive extinction, changes in food production capacity, loss of access to water, more severe weather, and deadly heat. We really don't know what the ceiling is. It's almost certainly lower than Venus...but how much lower?

Jonahdog

BANNED
Banned
Big deal

20.5 million college freshmen are displaced from their homes into the dorms every year, just in the us

Yeah, but they get to go back to Daddy and Mommy's house for Thanksgiving. Their home is not underwater, nor are their fields now feeding ground for carp.
Oh, and your post shows you as a moron.

The Barbarian

BANNED
Banned
It is, and it could approach hundreds of millions. But there are a lot of other risks, including the uncertainty of a possible carbon explosion, possible unrecognized dependencies on marine life that's likely to experience massive extinction, changes in food production capacity, loss of access to water, more severe weather, and deadly heat. We really don't know what the ceiling is. It's almost certainly lower than Venus...but how much lower?

I hope you're wrong. The numbers I see suggest that the pain and suffering will be considerable if we don't stop the rise. I very much doubt it would do anything like human extinction.

But it's not completely out of the question. There's a precedent:

Just as they were in the bunker, waiting for first test of a nuclear device, a general asked Oppenheimer something that had been bothering him:

"What if the chain reaction isn't limited to the uranium,and it involves the entire Earth?"

Oppenheimer considered that for a moment:

"I think that's not a very likely thing." he said.

Angel4Truth

Hall of Fame
Revelation 16:8 Next, the fourth angel poured out his bowl on the sun, and it was given power to scorch the people with fire. 9 And the people were scorched by intense heat, and they cursed the name of God, who had authority over these plagues; yet they did not repent and give Him glory.…

rexlunae

I hope you're wrong. The numbers I see suggest that the pain and suffering will be considerable if we don't stop the rise. I very much doubt it would do anything like human extinction.

Extinction events tend to be pretty hard on large animals, of which we certainly are an example.

But it's not completely out of the question. There's a precedent:

Just as they were in the bunker, waiting for first test of a nuclear device, a general asked Oppenheimer something that had been bothering him:

"What if the chain reaction isn't limited to the uranium,and it involves the entire Earth?"

Oppenheimer considered that for a moment:

"I think that's not a very likely thing." he said.

Heh. Eventually we'll probably find a way of destroying ourselves.

The Barbarian

BANNED
Banned
then again, there is Bangladesh but they are not white western Europeans, or people the the Trump family depends upon so who cares.

This is true, but big issue for Bangladesh right now, is the increase in severe storms. A generation or two out, rising seas will start to submerge what is a very low-lying country.

Jonahdog

BANNED
Banned
This is true, but big issue for Bangladesh right now, is the increase in severe storms. A generation or two out, rising seas will start to submerge what is a very low-lying country.

Yep, but it is 1/2 a world away, the people dont really look white, and most are Muslim. We don't need to concerned about them. America First remember.

genuineoriginal

It is obvious that the heating source (light) raised the temperature.

The demonstration shows the effect of the light interacting with the following substances:
Aspirin,
Chlorpheniramine Maleate,
Phenylephrine Bitartrate,
Acesulfame Potassium,
Anhydrous Citric Acid,
Aspartame,
Calcium Silicate,
Dimethylpolysiloxane,
Docusate,
Sodium,
FD and C Red #40,
FD and C Yellow #6,
Flavors,
Mannitol,
Povidone,
Sodium Benzoate,
Sodium Bicarbonate

The experiment does not show the effects of carbon dioxide in a quantity of less than 500 ppm.

If he truly wanted to show the effects of carbon dioxide, he should have dropped a small chunk of dry ice into the water instead of alka seltzer.

genuineoriginal

It took only 1 minute for this video to show the person making the video does not know what he is talking about.
Any ocean rise from glacial melt will not accelerate.
This is easily proven by pouring measured quantities of water into a wok.
The second measure will not raise the water level the same height as the first measure did.

The wok is narrower at the bottom and spreads out.
The same volume of water at a higher level in the wok will be shorter than the same volume at a lower level because the diameter of the wok is much greater at the higher levels.

This is simple geometry.

As the water level rises, it occupies a larger space than it is previously occupied, slowing the rate of the rise of the water level, not accelerating it like the guy in the video claimed.