McBurney By the Numbers

gcthomas

We can rely on that very same Creator to lead us into truth, especially when men have erred in translating, or interpreting, His word; most of all when we have as we are not very good at knowing spiritual things of our own accord.
How can you tell when your opinion is an inerrant truth? Especially when different people seem to be lead towards different inerrant truths?

Elected leaders are elected by the mob, so...
agreed ...

How many things do we vote on? Was there a vote when Roe v Wade was decided? How about prohibition? The emancipation proclamation?

Now, one of these things was the right thing to do but the populace didn't vote on any of them, afaik. So not a full on democracy.
Ah , you are thinking of a 'fully participatory' democracy. The advantage of a leader is that they can occasionally govern for everyone, not just the majority. In such a disfunctional system as the one you are implying, the majority would always win votes and the minorities would be disenfranchised completely. It would be a dictatorship under another name, not a functioning democracy where all can be heard.

Lighthouse

The Dark Knight
Gold Subscriber
Hall of Fame
How can you tell when your opinion is an inerrant truth? Especially when different people seem to be lead towards different inerrant truths?
I don't rely on my opinion.

agreed ...
Okay.

Ah , you are thinking of a 'fully participatory' democracy. The advantage of a leader is that they can occasionally govern for everyone, not just the majority. In such a disfunctional system as the one you are implying, the majority would always win votes and the minorities would be disenfranchised completely. It would be a dictatorship under another name, not a functioning democracy where all can be heard.
I still prefer one ruler who can be directed to the right way more easily than a nation of people electing leaders and voting for what they think is right who can't be persuaded away from the wrong path when they are upon it.

chatmaggot

Hall of Fame

Is it possible that your opinion of Doug McBurney is wrong and Doug McBurney's statement calling those that lie liars and those that steal thieves and those that kill babies baby killers and those politicians that ignore God's standards of sexual immorality in regards to homosexuality homo-loving correct?

And in response to your statement:

You have directly quoted only Bob Enyart
(You cut'n'pasted your entire post from here: http://kgov.com/nicer-than-god)

I don't think you have been around long enough to know how well connected several people here on TheologyOnline are to Bob Enyart. I think it is funny that you seem to be making an accusation against Jefferson for quoting a close personal friend of his yet you quote the Apostle Peter without his permission. How dare you use the words of someone else to defend your position! Don't you have any words of your own?

You aren't very tolerant of Doug McBurney or Jefferson.

gcthomas

I don't think you have been around long enough to know how well connected several people here on TheologyOnline are to Bob Enyart.
Should these 'well connected' people be treated differently in a discussion because of their links?

I think it is funny
Good!

that you seem to be making an accusation against Jefferson for quoting a close personal friend of his
From the 10 TOL Commandments "6. ... If you are posting material written by others, make sure to give them credit." He should have said that his comments were not his own, no matter how 'well connected' he is.

yet you quote the Apostle Peter without his permission.
I'll ask him first, next time!

How dare you use the words of someone else to defend your position! Don't you have any words of your own?
Is Bible quoting not allowed on this forum? I missed that rule. :eek:
Words of my own? You haven't read many of my posts, obviously, so I'll let that one pass. :cheers:

You aren't very tolerant of Doug McBurney or Jefferson.
They don't exactly encourage tolerance, do they? In any case, there is a difference between tolerating people and not questioning their attitudes. That's what this forum is about, isn't it, Chatmaggot? A polite exchange of views?