Maryland Considers Teaching Kids That Boys Are Presumed Guilty In Rape Accusations

annabenedetti

like marbles on glass
A bill "requiring the Montgomery County Board of Education to provide instruction on affirmative consent as part of a specified curriculum in specified grades in public schools in the county beginning in the 2017-2018 school year."

Introducing a discussion into the curriculum regarding affirmative consent. Giving young people a good understanding of the importance of mutual agreement is a good thing.

Why is this of interest for people who:

a. homeschool their kids
b. totally know 100% that their kids won't have sex before marriage
c. don't believe there is such a thing as spousal rape?

ClimateSanity

A bill "requiring the Montgomery County Board of Education to provide instruction on affirmative consent as part of a specified curriculum in specified grades in public schools in the county beginning in the 2017-2018 school year."

Introducing a discussion into the curriculum regarding affirmative consent. Giving young people a good understanding of the importance of mutual agreement is a good thing.

a. homeschool their kids

Why would they teach little boys that they must hear yes at least once every ten minutes or its a valid rape? The article said the burden of proof is on the boy. He is assumed guilty if charged and must prove his innocence. This is wrong regardless of how young the audience is.

annabenedetti

like marbles on glass
Why would they teach little boys that they must hear yes at least once every ten minutes or its a valid rape? The article said the burden of proof is on the boy. He is assumed guilty if charged and must prove his innocence. This is wrong regardless of how young the audience is.

First: they're not teaching "little boys," this is for grades 7 and 10.

Second: Set the article aside for a moment and look at the bill. It's very straightforward.

(A) IN THIS SECTION,AFFIRMATIVE CONSENT MEANS CLEAR, UNAMBIGUOUS, KNOWING, INFORMED, AND VOLUNTARY AGREEMENT BETWEEN ALL PARTICIPANTS TO ENGAGE IN EACH ACT WITHIN THE COURSE OF SEXUAL ACTIVITY.

kmoney

Hall of Fame
First: they're not teaching "little boys," this is for grades 7 and 10.

Second: Set the article aside for a moment and look at the bill. It's very straightforward.

(A) IN THIS SECTION,AFFIRMATIVE CONSENT MEANS CLEAR, UNAMBIGUOUS, KNOWING, INFORMED, AND VOLUNTARY AGREEMENT BETWEEN ALL PARTICIPANTS TO ENGAGE IN EACH ACT WITHIN THE COURSE OF SEXUAL ACTIVITY.

The definition is straightforward. Putting it into practice might not be though. I remember a skit where a couple brought lawyers into the bedroom so they can write everything up before they begin. :eek:

annabenedetti

like marbles on glass
The definition is straightforward. Putting it into practice might not be though. I remember a skit where a couple brought lawyers into the bedroom so they can write everything up before they begin. :eek:

True about putting it into practice, and I don't disagree that there could be some humor found in the idea taken to ridiculous ends. But there's no humor in being forced and/or coerced into sex against one's will, and it's only in recent years that the idea has gotten traction that guys don't get to push ahead unless the desire to go there is mutual. And I wonder why that's such a difficult concept for some men to understand? There are a lot of good men out there who wouldn't dream of forcing themselves on a woman but the fact remains there are plenty who don't have a problem with it, who take what they want because they feel entitled to what they want. It's certainly a good thing that this is a discussion to have these days.

Having said that, I also know that depending on the program and the teacher, that they can cross a line. I was careful with my boys in that regard, I went in and reviewed the material beforehand and opted them out of a couple classes that I thought weren't age-appropriate for them. I emphasize the word them, because I knew them and knew what they were ready for. But for students who are already sexually active at the junior high and high school level, this information could actually help keep them from being held legally liable. Ideally, they wouldn't be sexually active, but the reality is that some of them are and they should learn early how important it is for them to both give consent and ask for consent.

Does that mean stopping every 10 minutes? I don't think so. But communicating to each other that they both want to move through each part of the act of making love, why is that a bad thing?

kmoney

Hall of Fame
True about putting it into practice, and I don't disagree that there could be some humor found in the idea taken to ridiculous ends. But there's no humor in being forced and/or coerced into sex against one's will, and it's only in recent years that the idea has gotten traction that guys don't get to push ahead unless the desire to go there is mutual. And I wonder why that's such a difficult concept for some men to understand? There are a lot of good men out there who wouldn't dream of forcing themselves on a woman but the fact remains there are plenty who don't have a problem with it, who take what they want because they feel entitled to what they want. It's certainly a good thing that this is a discussion to have these days.
I agree that it's a discussion to have. Part of me wonders why a bill like this is even necessary. Consent should just be a natural part of the topic. I guess the difference is the 'affirmative' part. Do you emphasize saying yes or saying no.

Arthur Brain

a. homeschool their kids

Well, anyone who thinks there's no such thing as spousal rape is either a moron or a sociopath, and any parent who is 100% "sure" that their own kids won't have sex outside of marriage are laboring under a rose blinkered delusion.

annabenedetti

like marbles on glass
I guess the difference is the 'affirmative' part. Do you emphasize saying yes or saying no.

Whichever the situation calls for, so both should be presented.

When you're trying to get someone off you, there's not a lot of time for an earnest discussion of affirmative consent.

ok doser

lifeguard at the cement pond
With all the teaching in the world, that ain't gonna stop a load of folk having sex outside of marriage, high schoolers or otherwise.

Reality check dude...

with all the teaching in the world, you're never gonna stop a load of folk forcing unwanted sex on their partners, either :idunno:

Arthur Brain

with all the teaching in the world, you're never gonna stop a load of folk forcing unwanted sex on their partners, either :idunno:

Which is rape, regardless of whether it occurs within a "Christian" coupling or not. You think you made some sort of profound statement here?

Well, let's presume you're not that daft to think you did, the previous still stands.

Angel4Truth

Hall of Fame

a. homeschool their kids

Man youve turned into a troll since you left God behind.

Angel4Truth

Hall of Fame
I agree that it's a discussion to have. Part of me wonders why a bill like this is even necessary. Consent should just be a natural part of the topic. I guess the difference is the 'affirmative' part. Do you emphasize saying yes or saying no.

But drunk guys can consent and drunk girls cant, even when they consent. Isnt that feminists claiming men are superior?

Crucible

BANNED
Banned
I've mention of this before, though not with the location.

Was it the Netherlands.. maybe Sweden :think:

I can't remember.
But
They were essentially calling for an inquisitorial system of justice for men accused of rape. Essentially, the matter wouldn't even be settled in a traditional court setting, but among people who would usurp the case and simply decide if the man is guilty or not.

Which is essentially 'guilty until proven innocent', because courts always have a gender slant.
And
The fact that you're seeing such an idea pop up in other places shows that

I
was
right
all
along

But people are only interested in what they can somehow label 'misogyny' :rolleyes:

Stripe

Teenage Adaptive Ninja Turtle
LIFETIME MEMBER
Hall of Fame
Well, anyone who thinks there's no such thing as spousal rape is either a moron or a sociopath, and any parent who is 100% "sure" that their own kids won't have sex outside of marriage are laboring under a rose blinkered delusion.

Do you just bluster into every thread and spout nonsense that nobody has said to move attention away from OP?