Marriage and Other Unions.

BoyStan

1 Corinthians 5

9 I wrote to you in my epistle not to keep company with sexually immoral people. 10 Yet I certainly did not mean with the sexually immoral people of this world, or with the covetous, or extortioners, or idolaters, since then you would need to go out of the world. 11 But now I have written to you not to keep company with anyone named a brother, who is sexually immoral, or covetous, or an idolater, or a reviler, or a drunkard, or an extortioner—not even to eat with such a person. 12 For what have I to do with judging those also who are outside? Do you not judge those who are inside? 13 But those who are outside God judges. Therefore “put away from yourselves the evil person."

As a brother and elder I'm required to bring correction to my brothers or sisters who are giving themselves over to sin, and disassociate with them if they persist unrepentant.

As a witness I'm required to accurately identify sin before the lost in the context of pointing them to the redemption offered by the blood of Jesus, acknowledging that apart from grace I am every bit as much a sinner.

I have no requirement from my Lord to transform society or its institutions.

Does the Holy Spirit play a role in convicting Christians or unbelievers of sin? Or can you do it according to your own understanding without any help from God?

BoyStan

Quote: Originally posted by aCultureWarrior
I noticed that you don't seem concerned about other institutions that homosexuals have permeated: the family (via adoption), the military, youth mentor groups, the Church, Education, civil government, etc.

Either it's a behavior that should be shunned by society or given full acceptance, marriage included.

Homosexuals are people who are sexually confused, often brought on my trauma in childhood. Through therapy their desires and behavior can be changed. Society doesn't help people with sexual and gender confusion by giving them a license to continue their immoral behavior.

It's been shown in the institutions that they've permeated.

Righteous laws.

Does your comments apply to all immoral behaviour and not just homosexuality?
What do you mean by righteous laws? Please explain.

DavidK

Does the Holy Spirit play a role in convicting Christians or unbelievers of sin? Or can you do it according to your own understanding without any help from God?

Conviction is only by the Holy Spirit, or it is simply the reasoning of men which bears no fruit in the heart. He most often, however, uses the words and actions of believers as a vehicle.

My goal is to only speak what the Father is saying through His Spirit, though I admit that it is far too easy to move into my own emotions. I tend to be a conflict-avoider, so I'm more prone to leave things unsaid that He wants to say than to go off bringing correction when He is not.

We get into the most trouble when we start to get worked up about the results of our witness.

The warning to the watchman in Ezekiel 33 is clear that we are to sound the warning when the Lord gives it to us, and not to be concerned about whether the warning is received. Likewise in Ecclesiastes 11 we are responsible for sewing seed, it is up to the Lord whether there is increase.

All of the faithful of Jesus Christ are of a kingdom that is not of this world. We have a duty to speak truth to the powers in the nations, but no duty to transform them through anything but discipleship and witness. The gospel is an invitation, though one with grave consequences if refused. There is only one worthy to bring those consequences to bear.

eider

I understand the OT in the light of the NT, and the changes Jesus introduced. Many pick a verse out of the OT, such as from the law, and say that proves their point. Too often it only shows their ignorance of the relationship between the OT and NT.Many scoffers quote an OT verse thinking that it destroys an argument from the NT. Again it is obvious they are scoffing and ignorant of the OT and NT relationship.

Yeah yeah....... So your interpretation of the bible is crystal clear and exactly right.... I've heard this so many times!

The fact is, that you started a thread titled 'Marriage and other Unions' with the absolute intention of attacking polyamorous, gay, lesbian (?) civil partnerships, marriages, unions and loves.... true?

I just can't figure out why you (and others are so attracted to this subject. You must think about Gays in love mostly every day! Best that you leave people in love.... in love.

Evil be who evil thinks.
Honi Soit Qui Mali Pense.

marhig

Obviously you do not understand anything about the development of sin and God's revelation through history. Just because a situation existed in Bible times does not make it in force today
And Jesus said

Matthew 19

The Pharisees also came unto him, tempting him, and saying unto him, Is it lawful for a man to put away his wife for every cause?

And he answered and said unto them, Have ye not read, that he which made them at the beginning made them male and female,

And said, For this cause shall a man leave father and mother, and shall cleave to his wife: and they twain shall be one flesh?

Wherefore they are no more twain, but one flesh. What therefore God hath joined together, let not man put asunder.

BoyStan

To all who have shared their views with me on this controversial topic.

The only conclusion is, 'We will have to agree to disagree'.

Thank you.