Marine Court-Martialled for Bible Verse

kmoney

Hall of Fame
Well, she allegedly posted it because she spends her days dealing with marines whose CAC cards aren't working. So, yeah, it was seen as being against her fellow marines, whether that was her intent or not. She was ordered to take it down, and she didn't, and then she put it back when her CO took it down.

I see. Hadn't seen that. :plain:

musterion

As long as you stay in the past, sure...no problem. But it's time for humanity to move on past religion as a means of knowing anything.

Agree with you there: mere relgion was never a means of knowing anything. Still isn't. Least of all, your Magic Mud People religion.

shagster01

It is religious discrimination to claim that the only permitted way to exercise your religious beliefs is limited so you are only allowed to perform the customs and practices mandated by your religion and not allowed any freedom of speech or other public expression of your religion.

When you are in the military, there is a lot of speech and expression that you are not allowed.

Granite

Hall of Fame
It is religious discrimination to claim that the only permitted way to exercise your religious beliefs is limited so you are only allowed to perform the customs and practices mandated by your religion and not allowed any freedom of speech or other public expression of your religion.

You seem to be under the impression the Marine Corps or military in general is some kind of free-spirited democracy...

Caledvwlch

How is it not? God doesnt require me to wear a t shirt that says I am a Christian with John 3:16 on it either, but if someone told me i couldn't do so, they would be violating the law...

Sorry to truncate there, but I doubt wearing a John 3:16 t-shirt would have been appropriate in this situation either. They have uniforms, which is actually one of the other infractions listed in the court document. She received a few uniform violations as well. She also disobeyed orders to appear for duty, completely unrelated to Bible verses at her desk.

Like I said before, all of this information is right there. I didn't have to go off looking for Rachel Maddow's or Chris Hedges' opinion before I posted.

But I'll concede, that maybe there is a church out there somewhere that requires shoving ones personal beliefs in colleagues faces at all times. Maybe she even attended such a church, and if so it might be required that she post Bible verses at her desk, according to religious practice and custom, and in that case this particular instance might be a violation of her constitutional rights. But it would be hard to convince the courts.

Caledvwlch

Obviously they can't be ... because you said so, and for no other reason! :doh:

This is nothing more and nothing less than the march of society towards trying to get rid of anything that reminds them of God.

There are no good and valid moral or legal arguments against bible believers being able to live as bible believers.

This squelching is nothing more than the hatred in people's hearts, being given feet and hands.

Well maybe you could prove me wrong, instead of just making assumptions about my intentions. Is there such a sect of Christianity that actually requires its adherents to display altered and adapted Bible verses in work spaces they don't own? I have a fairly good (if not practiced) familiarity with the contents of the Bible, and I can't think of a verse that either explicitly or implicitly mandates it.

genuineoriginal

When you are in the military, there is a lot of speech and expression that you are not allowed.

You seem to be under the impression the Marine Corps or military in general is some kind of free-spirited democracy...

The statement I was responding to was not about whether freedom of expression was limited to people serving in the military, it was a comment about religious expression in general.

Here it is again:
And posting Bible quotes in one's work space isn't exercising one's religion, as religious customs and practices don't require that Bible verses be posted in adherents' work spaces.
As you may be able to see, the statement was that posting Bible quotes is not an exercise of one's religion because it is not required by the customs and practices of a religion.

My point, which you two missed, is that anything done because of religious motivations is exercising one's religion, whether it is or is not required by a religious sect's customs or practices.

Caledvwlch

The statement I was responding to was not about whether freedom of expression was limited to people serving in the military, it was a comment about religious expression in general.

Here it is again:

As you may be able to see, the statement was that posting Bible quotes is not an exercise of one's religion because it is not required by the customs and practices of a religion.

My point, which you two missed, is that anything done because of religious motivations is exercising one's religion, whether it is or is not required by a religious sect's customs or practices.

That may be so, but wouldn't standing up and singing a hymn or a worship song of some kind in the middle of a bank of one hundred busy cubicles be more or less the same thing?