Left views religious freedom fight as the "coming theocratic hell"

GFR7

@TownHeretic: Your new avatar reminds me of my horrible tooth abscess I am dealing with, and my appointment with the oral surgeon pending. :cry: :cry:

GFR7

I am sick to death of hearing this asinine malarkey about Christians being both a minority and persecuted. You guys are neither, and it's insulting to actual persecuted Christians the world over and to my intelligence to hear this masochistic wish-fulfillment idiocy repeated again and again.
Everything is relative. Do you scorn a child who is being verbally abused by it's parents, as having a trivial problem, just because the world over children are starving and beaten?

I think the world is no longer Christian in any practical sens and this has consequences on every level. Our is a secular, post-Christian age. Our world stands where Nietzsche indicated.

It has become very unpopular to refer to your religious beliefs in the face of issues such as no-fault divorce and same sex marriage. Labels such as "haters", "hate groups", and "bigots" are seen as fitting and proper in a way hitherto unprecedented, for those with traditional beliefs.

Town Heretic

Out of Order
Hall of Fame
@TownHeretic: Your new avatar reminds me of my horrible tooth abscess I am dealing with, and my appointment with the oral surgeon pending. :cry: :cry:
I'm thinking of momentarily going with Calvin. Sorry about the tooth. I hate any sort of dental related pain. It's right below back pain for ruining everything.

Town Heretic

Out of Order
Hall of Fame
Everything is relative.
:think: Even absolutes?

I think the world is no longer Christian in any practical sens and this has consequences on every level.
I don't think the world has ever been a particularly Christian one in any practical sense, but I might have missed it. When was that?

Our is a secular, post-Christian age. Our world stands where Nietzsche indicated.
Maybe in large parts of jaded Europe. The Body is vital and growing outside of the West and it's far from dead here if you saw my last on how it breaks down according to Pew.

It has become very unpopular to refer to your religious beliefs in the face of issues such as no-fault divorce and same sex marriage.
Mostly because the framing has a way of looking remarkably like a bill.

Granite

Hall of Fame
Everything is relative.

Sounds awfully absolute...

Do you scorn a child who is being verbally abused by it's parents, as having a trivial problem, just because the world over children are starving and beaten?

Abused, no. Whining? Uh...yes. First world problems and all that.

I think the world is no longer Christian in any practical sens and this has consequences on every level.

Never has been. Was speaking of the U.S. anyway.

Our is a secular, post-Christian age. Our world stands where Nietzsche indicated.

I wish. No, I think it's much more low rent than that.

It has become very unpopular to refer to your religious beliefs in the face of issues such as no-fault divorce and same sex marriage.

What you're seeing--for really the first time--is a push back from people you've bullied, lorded over, and taken for granted.

And a suggestion: Maybe if you guys acted less like hateful, ignorant, boorish jerks and more like actual thinking compassionate human beings not so many folks would write you off as the hateful, savage, ignorant, backbiting, monstrous bigots so many of you seem to be.

GFR7

:think: Even absolutes?
Blimey! Have you never read Aristotlean metaphysics? :think:

I don't think the world has ever been a particularly Christian one in any practical sense, but I might have missed it. When was that?
OMG - it shaped the West up through the Enlightenment on every practical, technical, and spiritual level---omg.

Maybe in large parts of jaded Europe. The Body is vital and growing outside of the West and it's far from dead here if you saw my last on how it breaks down according to Pew.
Well, you could have fooled me. :plain:

Mostly because the framing has a way of looking remarkably like a bill.
I'm Bill and I'll be your law.:wave2:

GFR7

I'm thinking of momentarily going with Calvin. Sorry about the tooth. I hate any sort of dental related pain. It's right below back pain for ruining everything.
Thanks for that---yes, it's dreadful and I am semi-psychotic from it.........

Town Heretic

Out of Order
Hall of Fame
Blimey! Have you never read Aristotlean metaphysics? :think:
No, but honestly who has? I don't even think Aristotle managed it. :plain:

OMG - it shaped the West up through the Enlightenment on every practical, technical, and spiritual level---omg.
I think you overlooked the practical bit.

Well, you could have fooled me. :plain:
Shame on...I forget.

I'm Bill and I'll be your law.:wave2:
Would there be a law against two Bill's going through the House together? :shocked:

rexlunae

Well, if this is the case, so be it, then. Religion will be separate from the general culture.......

As it always has been. The notion of a common religion was always something that a few politically-motivated individuals on the Right had tried, with some success for a time, to cobble together. But while Americans have always been a generally religious lot, they've never agreed strongly on it, so it's always been a private matter. Which, ultimately, is a good thing for everything, even those now whining about the rights of others.

TracerBullet

I am sick to death of hearing this asinine malarkey about Christians being both a minority and persecuted. You guys are neither, and it's insulting to actual persecuted Christians the world over and to my intelligence to hear this masochistic wish-fulfillment idiocy repeated again and again.

^^this

GFR7

As it always has been. The notion of a common religion was always something that a few politically-motivated individuals on the Right had tried, with some success for a time, to cobble together. But while Americans have always been a generally religious lot, they've never agreed strongly on it, so it's always been a private matter. Which, ultimately, is a good thing for everything, even those now whining about the rights of others.
I suppose the separation of church and state reflects just this state. Yes.

resodko

BANNED
Banned
The article is right. The right to practice your religion is not and never has been in jeopardy, however the desire to force your (general your) religiously held beliefs on others is gaining dangerous ground that it ought not.

how is one forcing their religiously held beliefs on others by refusing to engage in business with them? :freak: