Law of Moses, Ordinances. What has been abolished?

Jacob

BANNED
Banned
There are scriptures with the words law of Moses in them, as well as the word ordinances.

1 Kings 2:3 NASB - 3 "Keep the charge of the LORD your God, to walk in His ways, to keep His statutes, His commandments, His ordinances, and His testimonies, according to what is written in the Law of Moses, that you may succeed in all that you do and wherever you turn,

2 Chronicles 33:8 NASB - 8 and I will not again remove the foot of Israel from the land which I have appointed for your fathers, if only they will observe to do all that I have commanded them according to all the law, the statutes and the ordinances [given] through Moses."

Nehemiah 10:29 NASB - 29 are joining with their kinsmen, their nobles, and are taking on themselves a curse and an oath to walk in God's law, which was given through Moses, God's servant, and to keep and to observe all the commandments of GOD our Lord, and His ordinances and His statutes;

Malachi 4:4 NASB - 4 "Remember the law of Moses My servant, [even the] statutes and ordinances which I commanded him in Horeb for all Israel.

Jesus said that He did not come to abolish the Law or the Prophets.

Matthew 5:17 NASB - 17 "Do not think that I came to abolish the Law or the Prophets; I did not come to abolish but to fulfill.

He abolished in His flesh the enmity, which is the Law of commandments contained in ordinances.

Ephesians 2:15 NASB - 15 by abolishing in His flesh the enmity, [which is] the Law of commandments [contained] in ordinances, so that in Himself He might make the two into one new man, [thus] establishing peace,

Often we hear of the moral law, the civil law, and the ceremonial law. Sometimes people say that the ordinances are the ceremonial law.

Some people include the Sabbath in that.

Personally I believe that God's Law is moral. Sin is lawlessness or transgression of the law. The question might be "What is the crime that has been committed?", if someone has sinned.

What is the nature of the Law? Should it all be observed? What if Israel does and yet in the person of Christ there is no dividing wall separating Jew and Gentile or Jew and Greek circumcised and uncircumcised?

So, as we see the word ordinances, we might ask if it means the ceremonial law or all of the law, but when we look at the references that are not the Ephesians one that have the word ordinances in them, here is a list of all the references, first page, is it the same? That is what is meant in context, as we examine the word ordinances? Because a separation being abolished does not necessarily mean that the Law has been abolished. Or does it?

Someone who knows needs to teach me. Not just matching law or idea with law or idea. In other words, I need help with this.

I believe that I am saved by the blood of Jesus, forgiven and free, but I struggle with thinking about sin in light of the punishments we find in the Law, from death penalty to lesser.

Can I teach both the Law and the Gospel without there being any contradiction?

Yes, the Ephesians ordinances is from the Greek. I have not looked at the Hebrew words.

Jacob

BANNED
Banned
Some people include the Sabbath in that.
Apparently the Sabbath is different from the ordinances.

Ezekiel 20:13 NASB - 13 "But the house of Israel rebelled against Me in the wilderness. They did not walk in My statutes and they rejected My ordinances, by which, if a man observes them, he will live; and My sabbaths they greatly profaned. Then I resolved to pour out My wrath on them in the wilderness, to annihilate them.

Ezekiel 20:16 NASB - 16 because they rejected My ordinances, and as for My statutes, they did not walk in them; they even profaned My sabbaths, for their heart continually went after their idols.

Ezekiel 20:24 NASB - 24 because they had not observed My ordinances, but had rejected My statutes and had profaned My sabbaths, and their eyes were on the idols of their fathers.

Ezekiel 44:24 NASB - 24 "In a dispute they shall take their stand to judge; they shall judge it according to My ordinances. They shall also keep My laws and My statutes in all My appointed feasts and sanctify My sabbaths.

meshak

BANNED
Banned
Law of Moses, Ordinances. What has been abolished?

Jesus abolished wrongful and legalistic practices.

We have to remember that the Bible says the law is spiritual.

We should not take it like some kind of burden or curse.

Jesus' teachings are all in the OT too.

Jacob

BANNED
Banned
Jesus abolished wrongful and legalistic practices.

We have to remember that the Bible says the law is spiritual.

We should not take it like some kind of burden or curse.

Jesus' teachings are all in the OT too.

Speaking against something is different from talking about if the Law has been abolished. In other words, not all religious practices are of the Torah.

Jacob

BANNED
Banned
I agree. That's what Jesus straitened out.

That is one view on it and I certainly agree that it is okay to think that way, that this is what Jesus straightened out.

Is it your opinion that the Law and the Prophets are not abolished?

meshak

BANNED
Banned
That is one view on it and I certainly agree that it is okay to think that way, that this is what Jesus straightened out.

Is it your opinion that the Law and the Prophets are not abolished?

Nope, Jesus said He did not come to abolish the law but to fulfill it.

Jacob

BANNED
Banned
Nope, Jesus said He did not come to abolish the law but to fulfill it.
Jesus said that He did not come to abolish the Law or the Prophets but to fulfill.

Do you believe that Jesus said this? Do you believe that it is true?

I do.

Nang

TOL Subscriber
Jesus said that He did not come to abolish the Law or the Prophets but to fulfill.

Do you believe that Jesus said this? Do you believe that it is true?

I do.

I do.

Only the eternal Son of God could fulfill and morally satisfy the eternal Law of
God.

Neither the Law nor the Son ever had a beginning nor end for both are the same in attributes, purpose, & glory

Nang

TOL Subscriber
The Law of God could no more be abolished than could Triune God Himself be abolished.

It is only the condemnation of the Law against mortals who fail to live in accordance to its revelation of the will of God that has been abolished due to Jesus Christ perfectly performing All that Law in the place of the elect sons of God; His church.

Jacob

BANNED
Banned
I do.

Only the eternal Son of God could fulfill and morally satisfy the eternal Law of
God.

Neither the Law nor the Son ever had a beginning nor end for both are the same in attributes, purpose, & glory

Was there a beginning to or of creation?

Jacob

BANNED
Banned
The Law of God could no more be abolished than could Triune God Himself be abolished.

It is only the condemnation of the Law against mortals who fail to live in accordance to its revelation of the will of God that has been abolished due to Jesus Christ perfectly performing All that Law in the place of the elect sons of God; His church.

That sounds clear enough. Do you believe that I should obey God's commandments?

Nang

TOL Subscriber
That sounds clear enough. Do you believe that I should obey God's commandments?

I believe all persons should obey God’s commandments.

However, there are two errors that must be recognized & rejected:

LEGALISM: Attempt to work one’s own salvation by lawful obedience rather than trusting in Christ’s obedience alone.

ANTINOMIANISM: Declaring the saving grace of God gives one liberty to live without adherence to His eternal Laws.

Neither such practice reflects true Christianity.

Nang

TOL Subscriber
Creation has a beginning. Creation had a beginning.

Was the Law already there at Creation?

Yes.

I consider the Law of God to be synonymous with the will of God, which is the full expression of the attributes of God . . all as eternal as the Being of God.