Justice Kennedy says gay marriage ruling uproar will fade like '89 flag ruling

GFR7

Is he correct, or self-deluded, to think this issue will fade as the other did?

SAN DIEGO (AP) — U.S. Supreme Court Justice Anthony Kennedy on Wednesday likened controversy over the court's decision to allow gay marriage to public reaction over the 1989 ruling that said burning an American flag was protected free speech.

Kennedy, who was the deciding vote in both cases, described how the reaction decades ago was critical at first but changed over time.

His remarks at the 9th Circuit Judicial Conference were his first public comments since he wrote the decision last month that put an end to same-sex marriage bans in 14 states. Kennedy drew the comparison in response to a moderator's question about how justices weather reaction to closely watched rulings.

"Eighty senators went to the floor of the Senate to denounce the court," he said of the 1989 ruling. "President Bush took the week off and visited flag factories, but I noticed that after two or three months people began thinking about the issues."

http://www.greenevillesun.com/news/...cle_4134f7c5-8ef2-57ab-b69b-b16980db3ac7.html

Jose Fly

I'm pretty certain that in a few generations, those who fought so adamantly against this will be looked back on in the same way we now look back on those who fought so adamantly against allowing interracial marriage.

Angel4Truth

Hall of Fame
I'm pretty certain that in a few generations, those who fought so adamantly against this will be looked back on in the same way we now look back on those who fought so adamantly against allowing interracial marriage.

What do you want to bet, there wont be a few more generations.

GFR7

No, I don't think so. I don't think it will follow such a trajectory.

It will more likely follow this trajectory:

In Los Angeles, among other hip places, in the early 1970s, many parents thought it was cool to smoke pot with their 14 yr old; to discuss sex with them, to drink with them, to take them to nudist camps. Now, Child Protective Services jail them, and place their children in foster care. I think it will mirror this.

Jose Fly

No, I don't think so. I don't think it will follow such a trajectory.

It will more likely follow this trajectory:

In Los Angeles, among other hip places, in the early 1970s, many parents thought it was cool to smoke pot with their 14 yr old; to discuss sex with them, to drink with them, to take them to nudist camps. Now, Child Protective Services jail them, and place their children in foster care. I think it will mirror this.

I don't see enough similarities between the two to justify using one to draw conclusions about the other.

With interracial marriage however, there are some very stark similarities, most notably how those against both interracial marriage and same sex marriage justified their position via appeals to "what God intended".

Angel4Truth

Hall of Fame
I don't see enough similarities between the two to justify using one to draw conclusions about the other.

With interracial marriage however, there are some very stark similarities, most notably how those against both interracial marriage and same sex marriage justified their position via appeals to "what God intended".

There was never a prohibition on interracial marriage in scripture. There is a clear prohibition on homosexuality.

GFR7

But race is a fixed trait. And a black woman marrying a white man does not change the nature of marriage.

I think gay marriage will be repealed, and fall out of favor in the coming fourth turning crisis (due around 2020).

Granite

Hall of Fame
It'll be common place in a generation. We'll be a lesson for what not to do in many cases. The bad guys lost, sure. But it never should have come to this in the first place.

GFR7

It'll be common place in a generation. We'll be a lesson for what not to do in many cases. The bad guys lost, sure. But it never should have come to this in the first place.
I can see fully your conclusion, given your premises. But you'll find you're wrong. It won't work out as you imagine. Remember these words in the coming years. :alien: