I've converted

Nathon Detroit

LIFETIME MEMBER
LIFETIME MEMBER
Originally posted by Turbo

Girls only want boyfriends who have great skills. You know, like numchuck skills, bowhunting skills, computer hacking skills...
You can draw can't you?

Poly

Blessed beyond measure
Staff member
Administrator
Super Moderator
Gold Subscriber
LIFETIME MEMBER
Hall of Fame

Girls only want boyfriends who have great skills. You know, like numchuck skills, bowhunting skills, computer hacking skills...

yup!!

One Eyed Jack

Didn't you see my link to Scarab of Ra?

Better than that, I saw they have a version of Rogue for the Mac. Talk about a classic! I remember typing in a version of that game for my Atari.

Seriously, I haven't used a Mac since high school. We got a Macintosh Plus in 1988. It had a tiny black and white screen, but it looked a lot better than the amber or green on black displays that were common at the time. And it was a lot easier to use.

I remember those green screens. Even the Atari 8-bit made those things look obsolete.

Then in 1996 I got a Gateway2000 when I went off to college. I looked into getting a Mac, but they seemed more expensive at that time. A year later I got another Gateway2000 and my parents took the year-old tower with the new monitor. And as of today I'm still using that 7-year-old tower with the 8-year-old monitor.

I've still got my Pentium Pro system from circa 1994, although I don't use it anymore. It's just sitting beside my TV.

So I was raised in a Mac home, but when I went off to college I fell away for several years. But now I see the error of my ways.

I've always been an Atari man, but when Wing Commander came out for the PC, I had to choose it. Wing Commander was meant to be played on a 386-33 -- all the console versions were crap.

Crow

Originally posted by the Sibbie

I came out of high school with very little computer skills. I barely knew what computer programming was and it didn't cross my mind to take a programming course. Majoring in EE in college, I had to keep up or choke on the dust! :eek:

I never owned or used a puter except for games until August of 2001. :eek:

Turbo

Caped Crusader
LIFETIME MEMBER
Hall of Fame
Originally posted by One Eyed Jack

I've still got my Pentium Pro system from circa 1994, although I don't use it anymore.
That first computer was a Pentium Pro. It's collecting dust at my parents' house.

One Eyed Jack

That first computer was a Pentium Pro. It's collecting dust at my parents' house.

The Pentium Pro is a good processor. Overclocked at 233, it compares favorably with a Pentium II 266. It would make a perfectly serviceable light-duty computer.

Turbo

Caped Crusader
LIFETIME MEMBER
Hall of Fame
Originally posted by One Eyed Jack

The Pentium Pro is a good processor. Overclocked at 233, it compares favorably with a Pentium II 266. It would make a perfectly serviceable light-duty computer.
My current computer is a Pentium II 266. One is plenty. :bang:

But I know what you're saying. If I just use it for Excel, or Word, or opening one or two internet pages, its ok (aside from the random crashing). But it really gets mad when I open big picture files to edit. Or open eight webpages at once. Or both. :eek:

Granite

Hall of Fame
Power Mac G5 DP 1.8ghz
512mb
160 gig hard drive
Superdrive
17" Apple display
Harmon Kardon Soundsticks
Microsoft wireless keyboard & mouse

That's what I come home to every night!:devil:

P.S. Yes, you guessed right. I have no life...:D

SOTK

Re: I've converted

Look what I just bought on eBay!

A year-old 1.04 GHz iMac G4
17" display
512 MB RAM
80 GB Hard Drive
DVD-R/CD-RW Superdrive
Airport wireless 802.11g card
Mac OS X Panther

price: $1056 including shipping. That's almost exactly half of what I was ready to pay for a 20" iMac G5.

:banana:

:down:

Another slave to the pre-manufactured PC business. :(

Just kidding, kind of :angel: Seriously, I'm glad you got a better running PC. :)

Turbo

Caped Crusader
LIFETIME MEMBER
Hall of Fame
Re: Re: I've converted

Re: Re: I've converted

Originally posted by SOTK

:down:

Another slave to the pre-manufactured PC business. :(
I buy all my tools, appliances, and electronics pre-made. :)

But seriously, I bought the Mac for the OS.

Poly

Blessed beyond measure
Staff member
Administrator
Super Moderator
Gold Subscriber
LIFETIME MEMBER
Hall of Fame
Re: Re: Re: I've converted

Re: Re: Re: I've converted

I buy all my tools, appliances, and electronics pre-made. :)

Don't tools generally come pre-made? :eek:

Lucky

Hall of Fame

But seriously, I bought the Mac for the OS.
Many folks do. And that begs the question, why doesn't Apple make a version of OSX for "IBM-combatible" PCs. De facto standard PC hardware may not be as spectacular as Mac hardware, but there's never been a better time for Apple to take on Microsoft's desktop market. Especially since there's tons of average Joe's who are burnt out from battling viruses, worms, and spyware and want something that Just Works.

Turbo

Caped Crusader
LIFETIME MEMBER
Hall of Fame
Re: Re: Re: Re: I've converted

Re: Re: Re: Re: I've converted

Originally posted by Poly

Don't tools generally come pre-made? :eek:
Exactly.

Turbo

Caped Crusader
LIFETIME MEMBER
Hall of Fame
Originally posted by Lucky

Many folks do. And that begs the question, why doesn't Apple make a version of OSX for "IBM-combatible" PCs. De facto standard PC hardware may not be as spectacular as Mac hardware, but there's never been a better time for Apple to take on Microsoft's desktop market. Especially since there's tons of average Joe's who are burnt out from battling viruses, worms, and spyware and want something that Just Works.
Why don't they pull a Sega? I dunno. They might have good reasons, but I don't know enough about it.

I think that new Mac mini is a step in the right direction. $500-600 would be a reasonable price for just the OS and software bundle, but it also comes with hardware comparable to their current iBooks.

I just found this link: $600 System Shootout

:cool: