Is the swamp getting drained?

kmoney

Hall of Fame
Has Trump been taking steps toward "draining the swap" so far? Explain why you think yes or no.

Here are some of his appointments:
http://www.cbsnews.com/news/donald-trump-cabinet-announcements-so-far/

Labor Secretary: Andy Puzder
Homeland Security Secretary: Retired Gen. John Kelly
Housing and Urban Development Secretary: Ben Carson
Defense Secretary: Retired Gen. James Mattis
Commerce Secretary: Wilbur Ross
Treasury Secretary: Steven Mnuchin
Transportation Secretary: Elaine Chao
Health and Human Services Secretary: Tom Price
Education Secretary: Betsy DeVos
Attorney General: Jeff Sessions
EPA Administrator: Scott Pruitt
CIA Director: Mike Pompeo
National Security Adviser: Michael Flynn

rocketman

Resident Rocket Surgeon
Hall of Fame
Has Trump been taking steps toward "draining the swap" so far? Explain why you think yes or no.

Here are some of his appointments:
http://www.cbsnews.com/news/donald-trump-cabinet-announcements-so-far/

Labor Secretary: Andy Puzder
Homeland Security Secretary: Retired Gen. John Kelly
Housing and Urban Development Secretary: Ben Carson
Defense Secretary: Retired Gen. James Mattis
Commerce Secretary: Wilbur Ross
Treasury Secretary: Steven Mnuchin
Transportation Secretary: Elaine Chao
Health and Human Services Secretary: Tom Price
Education Secretary: Betsy DeVos
Attorney General: Jeff Sessions
EPA Administrator: Scott Pruitt
CIA Director: Mike Pompeo
National Security Adviser: Michael Flynn

I love his picks, these are a great start to draining the swamp or at least breaking down the levees, I would say in nautical terms this is a call for "hard a starboard!". I see good things in every appointment he has made thus far, Trump could only exceed my expectation by nominating Ted Cruz for SCOTUS.

kmoney

Hall of Fame
I love his picks, these are a great start to draining the swamp or at least breaking down the levees, I would say in nautical terms this is a call for "hard a starboard!". I see good things in every appointment he has made thus far, Trump could only exceed my expectation by nominating Ted Cruz for SCOTUS.
How are you defining 'swamp'?

rocketman

Resident Rocket Surgeon
Hall of Fame
How are you defining 'swamp'?

Imbedded political cronies, hacks, & incumbents that have donated to a person's campaign for the quid pro quo of being named to a cabinet post. I don't see that thus far, Trump has really made some strategic picks to redirect these agencies IMO. Time will tell but, I am liking the people I am seeing. :D

annabenedetti

like marbles on glass
WASHINGTON – With his choice of restaurant executive Andrew Puzder to serve as his Labor secretary, President-elect Donald Trump has now tapped six big donors and fundraisers to serve in his administration, lining up an unprecedented concentration of wealthy backers for top posts.

Together with their families, Trump’s nominees gave $11.6 million to support his presidential bid, his allied super PACs and the Republican National Committee, according to a Washington Post analysis of federal campaign filings.

One single appointee – WWE co-founder Linda McMahon – contributed $7.5 million to back his White House run before Trump selected her to run the Small Business Administration this week. She and her husband Vince were also the top outside donors to Trump’s private foundation.

Crucible

BANNED
Banned
Steve Bannon

Liberals have a reason to fear him, he's doesn't make idle statements.

And
he's from my town- see how we do things in RVA :)

annabenedetti

like marbles on glass
But longtime watchers of money in politics cannot recall any president in recent history who has filled a Cabinet with so many major donors.

. . .

Fred Wertheimer, president of the watchdog group Democracy 21, said Trump's choices raise questions about his pledge to “drain the swamp.”

"This is bound to result in all kinds of conflict and appearances of conflicts in terms of the financial interests of the people being appointed to high positions," he said.

The president-elect's decision to put his major political backers in senior Cabinet positions is a jarring contrast with Trump's rhetoric through this year's campaign. He repeatedly declared himself independent of wealthy donors and predicted Democratic nominee Hillary Clinton's benefactors would “have total control over everything she does.”

“Donald Trump gave his Foundation's largest donor a CABINET spot yesterday,” Clinton adviser Ronald Klain tweeted Thursday. “Did you see blaring headlines? Imagine if HRC had done that??”

rocketman

Resident Rocket Surgeon
Hall of Fame
Fred Wertheimer, president of the watchdog group Democracy 21, said Trump's choices raise questions about his pledge to “drain the swamp.”

"This is bound to result in all kinds of conflict and appearances of conflicts in terms of the financial interests of the people being appointed to high positions," he said.

Well, until we have some evidence of that happing it is just speculation right Fred? We have seen "pay for play" up close on the left's part for the past 8 years which you took no issue with so, please indulge us in our appointments before making broad generalizations on the character of the people filling them, Fred.

The president-elect's decision to put his major political backers in senior Cabinet positions is a jarring contrast with Trump's rhetoric through this year's campaign.

No, I would expect Trump to put people in these positions that didn't back him or show any loyalty to him. and hold a completely different agenda :hammer:..That is just crazy talk, every president puts those he trusts and will carry out their vision into these positions. It is not out of step with anything he said in his campaign he said he would put smart people in these positions around him...the question is begged, in contrast to what?

He repeatedly declared himself independent of wealthy donors and predicted Democratic nominee Hillary Clinton's benefactors would “have total control over everything she does.”

Who of this group are major donors thus far? one? and to his foundation not his campaign that we know of.

Not that you read anything I write anna but, for the edification of everyone I have to point out the obvious flaws in the logic, or just outright bias in your post.

Last edited:

Alate_One

Imbedded political cronies, hacks, & incumbents that have donated to a person's campaign for the quid pro quo of being named to a cabinet post. I don't see that thus far, Trump has really made some strategic picks to redirect these agencies IMO. Time will tell but, I am liking the people I am seeing. :D
Uhh you haven't seen any quid pro quo? You've got to be kidding . . .

I guess you missed the fact that Trump has appointed more donors to his administration than any president, ever. But hey as long as they're people YOU like it doesn't count right?

rocketman

Resident Rocket Surgeon
Hall of Fame
Uhh you haven't seen any quid pro quo? You've got to be kidding . . .

I guess you missed the fact that Trump has appointed more donors to his administration than any president, ever. But hey as long as they're people YOU like it doesn't count right?

A mere $12 million...That is a drop in the bucket to the campaign monies that were raised for Hillary or Obama. If you want to see cronyism you only have to look to the left to see it, wiki leaks also gave us that information. Oops, I guess people in glass houses...

http://dailycaller.com/2016/07/24/l...-reward-big-donors-with-federal-appointments/

Alate_One

A mere $12 million...That is a drop in the bucket to the campaign monies that were raised for Hillary or Obama. If you want to see cronyism you only have to look to the left to see it, wiki leaks also gave us that information. Oops, I guess people in glass houses...

http://dailycaller.com/2016/07/24/l...-reward-big-donors-with-federal-appointments/

Did you even read the link I posted? Most administrations rewards some donors (republican and democrat). Trump has rewarded MORE individual donors than any other in history. The dollar amount isn't large, no, but he's far more willing to reward donors with positions, which is more corruption. Trump is just a cheaper buy. So he's not draining the swamp, he's building more levees to make the biggest swamp ever. He's making the swamp great again. :p Not exactly surprising because Trump loves rewarding loyalty.

Last edited:

ClimateSanity

Who did mad dog Mattis donate to? Or Sarah Palin? If they did, it was a pittance.

The secretary of state pick was necessary to drain a very deep and entangled swamp. It required a person with known abilities to manage a very complex organization and who had extensive inside knowledge of Washington. His pick gave money to both sides but most heavily to Democrats. To call this quiz pro quo is dishonest to the max.

ClimateSanity

[video]http://www.realclearpolitics.com/video/2016/11/13/kellyanne_conway_under_trump_administration_gravy_ train_of_washington_corruption_comes_to_an_end.htm l[/video][video]http://www.realclearpolitics.com/video/2016/11/13/kellyanne_conway_under_trump_administration_gravy_ train_of_washington_corruption_comes_to_an_end.htm l[/video]

Alate_One

Who did mad dog Mattis donate to?
Mattis is his one reasonable pick
Or Sarah Palin? If they did, it was a pittance.
Sarah Palin hasn't been nominated for anything last I checked.

The secretary of state pick was necessary to drain a very deep and entangled swamp. It required a person with known abilities to manage a very complex organization and who had extensive inside knowledge of Washington. His pick gave money to both sides but most heavily to Democrats. To call this quiz pro quo is dishonest to the max.
The secretary of state hasn't been officially nominated. However if it is Tillerson, Trump will create a brand new kind of swamp, one where the secretary of state has a vested interest in pleasing other nations, like Russia. Even prominent Republicans are disturbed by him.

But hey, Trumpsters seem to be unable to see corruption in their own candidate's choices, only in others.

Alate_One

[video]http://www.realclearpolitics.com/video/2016/11/13/kellyanne_conway_under_trump_administration_gravy_ train_of_washington_corruption_comes_to_an_end.htm l[/video]

So we're supposed to take Kellyanne conway's word for how Trump's dealing with corruption. :rotfl: Next you'll tell me I should have believed Baghdad Bob about the war in Iraq.