Is the doctrine of Eternal Conscious Torment biblical or not?

chrysostom

Hall of Fame
Interesting. So after 1,216 posts, the wages of sin is no longer death?
I'm sorry Tambora, but the Bible clearly says that the wages of sin is death, so the doctrine that the wages of sin is Eternal Conscious Torment is unbiblical.

if there is one word in the bible we can take literally

it should be death
and
we need not define it

Timotheos

Paul is speaking of the two jerusalems in Galatians the left and right side of the human brain, that percentage we never use is only activated by God through meditation...

You are getting things out of Paul's words that he never intended to say. I don't think that is a good way to understand what he is writing about. That passage is referring to the way of grace, opposed to the way of law.

Tambora

Get your armor ready!
LIFETIME MEMBER
Hall of Fame
Define "dead".

Romans 8 KJV
(10) And if Christ be in you, the body is dead because of sin; but the Spirit is life because of righteousness.

Tambora

Get your armor ready!
LIFETIME MEMBER
Hall of Fame
Define "dead".

Matthew 8 KJV
(22) But Jesus said unto him, Follow me; and let the dead bury their dead.

Tambora

Get your armor ready!
LIFETIME MEMBER
Hall of Fame
Define "dead".

Luke 15 KJV
(24) For this my son was dead, and is alive again; he was lost, and is found. And they began to be merry.

(32) It was meet that we should make merry, and be glad: for this thy brother was dead, and is alive again; and was lost, and is found.

Tambora

Get your armor ready!
LIFETIME MEMBER
Hall of Fame
Define "death" & "dead".

John 5 KJV
(24) Verily, verily, I say unto you, He that heareth my word, and believeth on him that sent me, hath everlasting life, and shall not come into condemnation; but is passed from death unto life.
(25) Verily, verily, I say unto you, The hour is coming, and now is, when the dead shall hear the voice of the Son of God: and they that hear shall live.

Tambora

Get your armor ready!
LIFETIME MEMBER
Hall of Fame
Define "dead".

Romans 8 KJV
(10) And if Christ be in you, the body is dead because of sin; but the Spirit is life because of righteousness.

Tambora

Get your armor ready!
LIFETIME MEMBER
Hall of Fame
Define "dead".

Ephesians 2 KJV
(1) And you hath he quickened, who were dead in trespasses and sins;

Tambora

Get your armor ready!
LIFETIME MEMBER
Hall of Fame
Define "dead".

Ephesians 2 KJV
(5) Even when we were dead in sins, hath quickened us together with Christ, (by grace ye are saved;)

Tambora

Get your armor ready!
LIFETIME MEMBER
Hall of Fame
Define "dead".

Colossians 2 KJV
(13) And you, being dead in your sins and the uncircumcision of your flesh, hath he quickened together with him, having forgiven you all trespasses;

Tambora

Get your armor ready!
LIFETIME MEMBER
Hall of Fame
Define "dead".

Colossians 3 KJV
(3) For ye are dead, and your life is hid with Christ in God.

Tambora

Get your armor ready!
LIFETIME MEMBER
Hall of Fame
Define "dead".

1 Timothy 5 KJV
(6) But she that liveth in pleasure is dead while she liveth.

Tambora

Get your armor ready!
LIFETIME MEMBER
Hall of Fame
Define "dead".

Revelation 3 KJV
(1) And unto the angel of the church in Sardis write; These things saith he that hath the seven Spirits of God, and the seven stars; I know thy works, that thou hast a name that thou livest, and art dead.

Aimiel

Here's how Jesus thinks of death:

John 11:11
These things said he: and after that he saith unto them, Our friend Lazarus sleepeth; but I go, that I may awake him out of sleep.

We think of it as we see it... they are no longer in our realm, so it looks to us as if they are not alive, but gone. Jesus, having come from the spirit realm sees it as it is: sleep.

Zeke

You are getting things out of Paul's words that he never intended to say. I don't think that is a good way to understand what he is writing about. That passage is referring to the way of grace, opposed to the way of law.

How can the new jerusalem be the mother of us all, is it a literal city floating up yonder or is it a symbolic teaching about the dormant brain cells in the right lobe of the brain that only devine light can wake up to birth the virgin child in us all?

I think you limit the dept of the spiritual meanings by literalizing them.

RevTestament

Eternal punishment is in scope rather than time, although there is a time component. In other words the punishment is eternal in degree - nashing of teeth and all that.