Is the doctrine of Eternal Conscious Torment biblical or not?

Derf

If this is your attempt to make "perish" NOT mean "to suffer death", then you did a very poor job of it. "To suffer death" is the very first definition in your list! I'm sorry but if the plain sense of the Bible makes good sense, then it is nonsense to look for any other sense. "Whosoever believes in him shall not perish but have eternal life". The plain sense of this is that whoever believes in Christ will not die but will have eternal life. You can argue until you are blue that this doesn't mean what it says, I am merely saying that it does mean what it says. The ONLY reason I keep repeating the truth is because people keep denying the truth. God willing, one day it will sink in.

My attempt? You're the one that said:
Timotheos said:
you can look up the meaning of perish and die in any dictionary to discover the meaning of these words.
But now, when I look it up in a dictionary--AS YOU SAID TO DO--you don't really agree with what you said, and now you say that I can't use the dictionary to discover what perish and die mean--that definition can only come from you. This conversation could be done with a whole lot earlier, if you would just argue with yourself for a few posts, then call it quits.

Timotheos

My attempt? You're the one that said:
But now, when I look it up in a dictionary--AS YOU SAID TO DO--you don't really agree with what you said, and now you say that I can't use the dictionary to discover what perish and die mean--that definition can only come from you. This conversation could be done with a whole lot earlier, if you would just argue with yourself for a few posts, then call it quits.

I stand behind what I said before:
1. You CAN look up perish in a dictionary to find out that it means "to die".
2. You DID look up perish in a dictionary and found out that it means "to die".
3. Then you used that definition "to die" to attempt to convince me that perish DOESN'T mean "to die".
4. When I pointed out that the definition YOU POSTED said that perish means "to suffer death" you made some weird statement that I should just argue with myself. I NEVER said that the definition could only come from me. You ARE an ECTist, even though you do not want to admit it. That is typical of ECTists, too. They never want to admit what it is that they believe.

Derf

I stand behind what I said before:
1. You CAN look up perish in a dictionary to find out that it means "to die".
2. You DID look up perish in a dictionary and found out that it means "to die".
3. Then you used that definition "to die" to attempt to convince me that perish DOESN'T mean "to die".
4. When I pointed out that the definition YOU POSTED said that perish means "to suffer death" you made some weird statement that I should just argue with myself. I NEVER said that the definition could only come from me. You ARE an ECTist, even though you do not want to admit it. That is typical of ECTists, too. They never want to admit what it is that they believe.

You're not making any sense. Of course I agree that "perish" means "to die". But both of those things can have connotations that include some kind of conscious existence afterward. If you don't want to use the dictionary for definitions, then don't suggest I look up the definitions.

You ARE arguing with yourself. You say one thing, and then say the opposite. I'm not sure what else to do for you. It certainly doesn't help your case when you argue with yourself.

genuineoriginal

I don't think it takes an ECTist to find things you said that you later disown. My previous post was a case in point. But since you say ECTists put words in your mouth, and you say I'm not an ECTist, maybe what's happening is that we're not putting words in your mouth, but you aren't communicating effectively. I'd like to think I can help you out with that communication problem you're having. You can start by re-reading my previous post and see that I pointed out to you that you disavowed something you stated, and then restated it. If you can't see that as what happened, you're inviting more unflattering epithets.

But as to the definitions of "perish" and "die" in any dictionary, here you go, from the first hit on Google:
Perish--
  1. suffer death, typically in a violent, sudden, or untimely way.
    "a great part of his army perished of hunger and disease"
    synonyms: die, lose one's life, be killed, fall, expire, meet one's death, be lost, lay down one's life, breathe one's last, pass away, go the way of all flesh, give up the ghost, go to glory[/B], meet one's maker, cross the great divide; More
  2. suffer complete ruin or destruction.
    "the old regime had to perish"
    synonyms: come to an end, die (away), disappear, vanish, fade, dissolve, evaporate, melt away, wither
    "must these hopes perish so soon?"
  3. (of rubber, a foodstuff, or other organic substance) lose its normal qualities; rot or decay.
And:
Die--.
  • (of a person, animal, or plant) stop living.
    "she died of cancer"
    synonyms: pass away, pass on, lose one's life, expire, breathe one's last, meet one's end, meet one's death, lay down one's life, perish, go the way of all flesh, go to one's last resting place, go to meet one's maker, cross the great divide, slip away;
Do you see anything in there that might not fit your definition? Anything? Anything at all? (Just in case you might have missed it, I've added bold formatting to a few things I noticed.) These are common understandings of "perish" and "die". Some allow for total annihilation, and some don't. They don't win the argument for either side, which is what I've been trying to express to you--if that's your total argument, it is weak. And repeating the same thing over and over again without further explanation makes it seem weaker, not stronger.
I see that you are making the mistake of attempting to use the modern English definitions over the definitions of the ancient Greek words that were used in scripture.
This is a mistake because the modern English definitions have taken on additional meanings based on religious dogma, such as the ones you highlighted.

Try searching a Greek/English dictionary for the original Greek words used and none of those spurious definitions will appear.

John 3:15
15 That whosoever believeth in him should not perish, but have eternal life.​

perish G622
ἀπόλλυμι apóllymi, ap-ol'-loo-mee; from G575 and the base of G3639; to destroy fully (reflexively, to perish, or lose), literally or figuratively:—destroy, die, lose, mar, perish.

1. to destroy
    • to put out of the way entirely, abolish, put an end to ruin
    • render useless
    • to kill
    • to declare that one must be put to death
    • metaph. to devote or give over to eternal misery in hell
    • to perish, to be lost, ruined, destroyed
  2. to destroy
    • to lose

genuineoriginal

You're not making any sense. Of course I agree that "perish" means "to die". But both of those things can have connotations that include some kind of conscious existence afterward.
You are taking the connotations out of context.

The context is what happens after a person dies.
The phrase "meet one's maker" refers to the judgment after a person dies.

Hebrews 9:27
27 And as it is appointed unto men once to die, but after this the judgment:​

You are then applying that context to the words for what happens at the judgment, which is a logical fallacy.

At the judgment, the people that "meet one's maker" will either be granted eternal life or be destroyed fully.

patrick jane

BANNED
Banned
I see that you are making the mistake of attempting to use the modern English definitions over the definitions of the ancient Greek words that were used in scripture.
This is a mistake because the modern English definitions have taken on additional meanings based on religious dogma, such as the ones you highlighted.

Try searching a Greek/English dictionary for the original Greek words used and none of those spurious definitions will appear.

perish G622
ἀπόλλυμι apóllymi, ap-ol'-loo-mee; from G575 and the base of G3639; to destroy fully (reflexively, to perish, or lose), literally or figuratively:—destroy, die, lose, mar, perish.

1. to destroy
    • render useless
    • to kill
  2. to destroy
    • to lose

The old "read the Greek" ploy

Derf

perish G622

1. to destroy
    • render useless
    • to kill
  2. to destroy
    • to lose

Thanks. I agree that using just any dictionary is possibly a bad idea, but that's what Timotheos told me to do, before he told me not to do that. I hope he reads your Greek/English dictionary results. I've emboldened the parts above he should look at specifically.

genuineoriginal

Thanks. I agree that using just any dictionary is possibly a bad idea, but that's what Timotheos told me to do, before he told me not to do that. I hope he reads your Greek/English dictionary results. I've emboldened the parts above he should look at specifically.

Looks like you completely missed the most important part, which is the original meaning of the Greek word:
perish G622

patrick jane

BANNED
Banned
Many doctrinal errors caused by misunderstanding the words in an English bible because of using modern English definitions for those words can be cleared up by finding out what the source material actually meant before it was translated.
I rely soley on my King James Bible with NIV and ASV for concordance, all in English, and a study Bible which shows some Greek and Hebrew translations, of which I pay no attention. I trust in the translations that I receive God's complete word in English, praise the Lord. I don't need the original languages anymore.

freelight

Eclectic Theosophist
Must consider the original language the text was written in......

Must consider the original language the text was written in......

The old "read the Greek" ploy

;) - but understanding the original Greek behind the English word translation is essential in proper 'translation/interpretation'.

The words behind 'perish', 'destruction', etc. hold their meaning, but some words when translated to word in English alters or modifies the meaning which gives rise to mistranslation issues. Its subtle, but one must research it thoroughly. The links I've shared recently and video should clear up the main issues here.

From a biblical perspective, its 'life' or 'death' as the ultimatums. Its a limited context since we only have the 'terms' given in this collection of books, so another issue is determining what is "biblical" or not (as if that really means anything). The 'second death' appears to be a final/eternal death (negation of life, dis-integration of existence). 'Death' applied to both body and 'soul' would mean a cessation of life in both aspects of one's being, not just 'physical' life, but the psychic/spiritual vitality of existence. Since 'soul' in the Jewish understanding is a unified existence of being, each person is a 'living soul'...an integrated whole. If that integrity becomes dis-integrated,..it no longer exists as a functioning unit of conscious being. - it might be hard to comprehend 'non-existence',...but a most interesting 'condition' to consider ;)

Derf

Looks like you completely missed the most important part, which is the original meaning of the Greek word:
perish G622
Even here (emboldened), you can see that the Greek word carries additional connotations that don't fit with Timotheos's exclusive use.

I came upon my children one day, back when they were 10 to 12 years old, perhaps, arguing about something rather unimportant (to me, anyway), but essentially they had both selected some point to argue that was different, but not in opposition to, the other's point. To settle them down and help them to understand the problem with their conversation, I described something I decided to call the Door vs. Window debate.

It goes something like this:
Arguer 1: That is a door (and he points to a door).
Arguer 2: No, that is a window (and he points to a window).
Arguer 1: No, as I said, That is a door (no need to point now, so he doesn't).
Arguer 2: You are not listening to me, I said, That is a window.
(continue, ad infinitum)​

Now, both of these two arguers were correct. And both were incorrect. They were correct that the thing they were pointing to was indeed the name they called it. But they were wrong when they made it into an argument by saying "No" or other qualification at the beginning of their statement. I guess it's a form of the Red Herring fallacy, or misdirection, but the Red Herring is usually a misdirection that is intentional, so I'm not sure the description is completely apt.

So let me translate our recent exchange into the Door vs Window style:

Timotheos: "Death" means complete loss of life.
Derf: No, "death" sometimes means something might happen later.
T: No, as I said, "death" means complete loss of life.
D: You are not listening to me, "death" sometimes means something might happen later.
(continue, ad nauseum)​

I would like to suggest that I don't disagree with Timotheus--that "death" means complete loss of life. And I think he would agree with me--that "death" does not preclude future events with that person.

So I acknowledge my wrongful part in this Door vs Window debate. And I want to make sure I get to the bottom of the issue of the OP and understand both sides of the debate as well as discuss it in better form.

Timotheos has presented ample evidence that the wicked die, perish, are destroyed.

Our experience with life is also that all people die, and we have no contact (Freelight excepted, I suppose :)) with them, so it's hard to get good information about what's going on with them, if anything.

When the bible talks about the wicked "perishing", is it talking about the same thing that we have experience with--people dying? Or not? Or maybe sometimes it's the same thing?

If you say "Yes, it's the same thing", then how can Jesus say "whosoever believes in me shall not perish", when we know that those who have believed in Him throughout history have indeed died?

If you say "No, it's not the same thing", then is that act of "perishing" really referring to the final state of the wicked, or is it only the initial state of "death". If it is the final state, then the descriptions in the bible are confusing, because there are multiple ways to "perish" besides being thrown in the lake of fire, yet Revelation seems to indicate that all those that don't enter into life are indeed thrown into the lake of fire.

So I think we would have to say that the word "perish" is sometimes the same as "to die" and sometimes it is more than "to die". A good example is spelled out pretty well in Wikipedia's article on the Tower of Siloam :
Twice in this brief passage, Jesus declared, "...unless you repent, you too will all perish." Jesus' clear focus is on the need for everyone to "repent" of their sins before God. His answer cannot mean that all unrepentant people will die deservedly. Neither can it mean that people can escape physical death by repenting of their sins since eventually every living person dies. So perish here is something more than just to die a physical death.
The word "perish" in the New Testament very often refers to a terrible judgment following one's physical death. Since Jesus connects it directly to sin and says it can be escaped by repentance, "perish" here most logically refers to the final judgment. For example, in John 3:16 Jesus says, "For God so loved the world that he gave his only begotten Son, that whosoever believes in him should not perish, but have everlasting life." Perishing is the biblical alternative to having everlasting life. Perishing is what happens to those who don't have eternal life. The same principle appears in John 10:28 where Jesus says, "I give them eternal life, and they shall not perish for ever."

So Wikipedia, at least, thinks that Jesus equivocated on the word "perish", as He applied it to both the immediate death of the people under the tower that fell and then reapplied it to those that don't repent.

The point is, that if perish means something more than to die a physical death, then it is not always proper to assume the 2 are equivalent. The "second death" must be more than the first death.

Also, if the wicked are destroyed, and it means the same thing as "to die", then everyone must be "destroyed", right? And then why does the bible focus on the destruction of the wicked?

freelight

Eclectic Theosophist
If I may chime in.....

If I may chime in.....

Our experience with life is also that all people die, and we have no contact (Freelight excepted, I suppose :)) with them, so it's hard to get good information about what's going on with them, if anything.

When the bible talks about the wicked "perishing", is it talking about the same thing that we have experience with--people dying? Or not? Or maybe sometimes it's the same thing?

Hi Derf,

Yes, I'm open to some kind of 'contact' between the living and those who have passed over, but that's a complex subject as there are verified communications and info. given thru mediums that validate some kind of real exchange of information taking place, as the schools of Spiritualism and Spiritism are based on such communications ....and principles and laws that correspond with eternal progression beyond the grave thru various spirit-worlds or thru a system of reincarnation. I know that goes beyond the narrow 'biblical-context' here. May leave that open to start a new thread sometime on the Afterlife.

~*~*~

Lets note per your inquiry above,....that we've always been referring to the 'second death' as the death of the soul, not the physical body, and it is eternal/final.

The point is, that if perish means something more than to die a physical death, then it is not always proper to assume the 2 are equivalent. The "second death" must be more than the first death.

Also, if the wicked are destroyed, and it means the same thing as "to die", then everyone must be "destroyed", right? And then why does the bible focus on the destruction of the wicked?

Again,...I don't recall anyone assuming that 'perish', 'destruction' or 'destroy' pertaining to the wicked meant only a physical death, but points to the ultimate death or final destruction of the unrepentant. Naturally the consequence of the full embrace of iniquity, where one reaches a point of no return, is DEATH ('death' in toto). Such is the 'second death' from which there is no resurrection. A person is disintegrated. (I like to use the term if you didn't notice ;) )

But I'm playing along and seeing that conditional immortality has more support than ECT, which is rife with problems. Granted, CI (conditional immortality) may have problems with the concept of a person being terminated (wiped out), assuming a soul's total embrace of sin, results in eternal death. Another problem here is the 'time factor' involved in soul's either taking the opportunity to repent, or where some souls reach a point of time expiring on their account, when there is no longer any opportunity or ability to repent, that soul being given totally over to sin, which ripens to the full-blown harvest of destruction. So we have this 'seed-time and harvest' factor in the salvation or demise of souls.

This is just touching the surface. I think we all agree from 'biblical terms' that there is 'life' and 'death' available for all to choose from from our finite experiential view. Our reception of these is conditioned by our choices in space and time (having eternal consequences). The full effect of our choice will be finalized ultimately according to our actual decisions.

Lon

Matt. 8:12, "but the sons of the kingdom shall be cast out into the outer darkness; in that place there shall be weeping and gnashing of teeth.”

Matt. 13:41-42, "The Son of Man will send forth His angels, and they will gather out of His kingdom all stumbling blocks, and those who commit lawlessness, 42 and will cast them into the furnace of fire; in that place there shall be weeping and gnashing of teeth.”

Rev. 14:9-11, "And another angel, a third one, followed them, saying with a loud voice, "If anyone worships the beast and his image, and receives a mark on his forehead or upon his hand, 10 he also will drink of the wine of the wrath of God, which is mixed in full strength in the cup of His anger; and he will be tormented with fire and brimstone in the presence of the holy angels and in the presence of the Lamb. *11 "And the smoke of their torment goes up forever and ever; and they have no rest day and night, those who worship the beast and his image, and whoever receives the mark of his name."

Rev. 20:10, "And the devil who deceived them was thrown into the lake of fire and brimstone, where the beast and the false prophet are also; and they will be tormented day and night forever and ever."

Revelation 21:8
"But for the cowardly and unbelieving and abominable and murderers and immoral persons and sorcerers and idolaters and all liars, their part will be*in the lake that burns with fire and brimstone, which is the second death.”

They aren't ever described as being relieved from torment by no longer existing. Nope. The 'Second Death' is eternal conscious torment, as any simple reading of Scripture reveals.

Rev 14:10b
he shall be tormented with fire and brimstone
in the presence of the holy angels, and in the presence of the Lamb:

11 And the smoke of their torment ascendeth up for ever and ever: and
they have no rest day nor night
who worship the beast and his image, and whosoever receiveth the mark of his name.

Kinda ends the thread, doesn't it? :think:

Timotheos

You ARE arguing with yourself. You say one thing, and then say the opposite. I'm not sure what else to do for you. It certainly doesn't help your case when you argue with yourself.

Excuse me sir, but I never once said one thing and then said the opposite. You made that up yourself. This is typical of your side, when you lose the debate, this is what you do. I never said that you shouldn't use the dictionary to determine the meaning of the word. If you want to prove that perish doesn't mean to die, you shouldn't use a dictionary definition of perish that says it means "to die". If you want to prove that perish doesn't mean "to die", you need to find a dictionary somewhere that says "Perish doesn't mean to die". You are making up tall tales about me, insisting that I am "arguing with myself". Apparently I am arguing with a brick wall.

Timotheos

You are forgetting that those who put their trust in Jesus Christ will be resurrected and given eternal life. So while they will die one day, they are brought back to life and will never die again. Do you understand this?

Timotheos

perish G622

1. to destroy
    • render useless
    • to kill
  2. to destroy
    • to lose

I see what you are saying. What ECTists need to do is prove that apollumi does NOT mean "to destroy fully", and that is something that they have not been able to do.

Lon

Kinda ends the thread, doesn't it? :think:
Wow! Timothy neg repped scripture and a question??? Yowch! What is wrong with you? All about you and not about Jesus any more?

When scriptures no longer mean anything to you, when you emote a neg rep rather than addressing God's word, and when what you think and feel is more important to you than Jesus, or even another person like me, it is game-over Timotheos. We must love God on His terms. Sad and it is really thread over.