Is it wrong to go trick or treating or to a dress up party on Halloween?

Lon

toldailytopic: Is it wrong to dress up for halloween and go trick or treating or to go to a dress up party/gathering?

If it is, boy are Adam West and Burt Ward in trouble!

That said, I would hope they aren't still ringing doorbells~!

(though if they were in that kind of straight, I'd probably throw them a $5er and a handful of KitKats)

PureX

Is it wrong to dress up for halloween and go trick or treating or to go to a dress up party/gathering?
I think it's fine for those under the age of 12. It's just a fun day where the kids get to pretend they are "tricking" the adults into giving them candy by dressing up in scary costumes.

Over the age of 12, playing "dress up" begins to take on a whole new dimension. But that's a different subject.

Coffee is King

I don't see anything wrong with it. Just make sure to really supervise your kids and go through their new-found loot. There are some sick, sick people out there.

If anyone is interested, they might do some study on Samhain http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Samhain If you're of Gaelic (Irish, Scottish, Manx) descent, you can learn a bit about your heritage.

rainee

I don't see anything wrong with it. Just make sure to really supervise your kids and go through their new-found loot. There are some sick, sick people out there.

If anyone is interested, they might do some study on Samhain http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Samhain If you're of Gaelic (Irish, Scottish, Manx) descent, you can learn a bit about your heritage.

Hi Coffee is King, welcome :)

You bring up something that is related to my sad wail, lament and sorrow. Thank you, I was worried I wouldn't find an opening!

Long ago I lived in a town called Rome, New York, where the winters could be dark and the days were oh so short.
When fall was coming and we watched the days grow shorter and shorter and the light less and less - we children had one reprieve from the depressing knowledge of winter coming. It was Halloween.
Where imagination could fly free - or as free as your mom's ability.
Then we would get to go out into the neighborhood and have most all the neighbors tell us how great we looked and we knew they liked us as they blessed us with praise and encouragement and goodies.
Some did try to scare us and we laughed at things that made us afraid, laughed at fears and at scary things and saw they were silly.

BUT. Time changed things. The past which Christianity had buried as it absorbed Halloween night and made it our own was dug up and made much of.

Suddenly everybody wanted to know with horror
just what Christianity had done to have an Easter Bunny, a Halloween night and a Christmas.

But Christianity had killed and destroyed pagan religions and absorbed some great stuff from them after making these things totally harmless by burying where and what they came from.

So kids today may not get what I got - because knowledge changes things. Doesn't it?

Persephone66

BANNED
Banned
Do you dress up as a man for a change?

My girlfriend and I had plans of going to an anime convention as Yuujiro and Toru from the anime series Princess Princess, does that count? If you are not familiar with the series, we would be dressing as boys at an all boys private school who dress as girls. We need a 3rd party to join us to dress as Mikoto to really pull it off right.

Nick M

Black Rifles Matter
LIFETIME MEMBER
Hall of Fame
Sometimes. Like I want to make a V for Vendetta costume. I'm Going to need to wrap an ACE bandage around my chest to conceal my boobs though.

Your costume makes me think of that perverted movie Victor Victoria. Except you are doing it the other way around.

amosman

The TheologyOnline.com TOPIC OF THE DAY for October 28th, 2011 12:02 PM

toldailytopic: Is it wrong to dress up for halloween and go trick or treating or to go to a dress up party/gathering?

Take the topic above and run with it! Slice it, dice it, give us your general thoughts about it. Everyday there will be a new TOL Topic of the Day.
If you want to make suggestions for the Topic of the Day send a Tweet to @toldailytopic or @theologyonline or send it to us via Facebook.
Not if you dress up like John the baptist and preach repentance while you are partying .

Tambora

Get your armor ready!
LIFETIME MEMBER
Hall of Fame
The last several years, there hasn't been many trick-or-treaters that go door to door.
So, now I always buy a bag of candy that I like, so whatever is left over I can enjoy for a few days.

Tambora

Get your armor ready!
LIFETIME MEMBER
Hall of Fame
If it is, boy are Adam West and Burt Ward in trouble!

That said, I would hope they aren't still ringing doorbells~!

(though if they were in that kind of straight, I'd probably throw them a $5er and a handful of KitKats)
I love KitKats!

Nick M

Black Rifles Matter
LIFETIME MEMBER
Hall of Fame
Why do you say that? Does having to conceal my breasts have anything to do with it?

You don't have any from your gender make up. You adding ex post facto doesn't change anything. No matter how bad you want it, you will never have a uterus and ovaries.

dudeman-x

Is it wrong to dress up for halloween and go trick or treating or to go to a dress up party/gathering?

oh come on now, regardless of how trick or treating started out, I don't know of anyone who sees it as a bad thing. Instead it is now about kids getting to have a good time dressing up like monsters and getting free candy from people.

kmoney

Hall of Fame
The TheologyOnline.com TOPIC OF THE DAY for October 28th, 2011 12:02 PM

It's OK as long as "Slutty" isn't in the name of the costume. :eek:

zippy2006

Halloween is a Christian holiday. It is a variant of "all hallows eve," or the night before All Saints Day. The whole thing revolves around a mockery of death, which has been conquered.

:e4e:

SuperMonkey

Depends, what are you celebrating? The day isn't unholy, what people do on any day is unholy.

Do you celebrate anniversaries, or birthdays? They fall on Pagan Holidays. There are only THREE DAYS on an american (gregoran?) Calendar that are not pagan holidays somewhere.

What is important is not the WHEN, but the WHAT you are celebrating.

Christmas falls at the same time of a dozen other faiths. If you celebrate Christ's birth, and not the birth of Mithra, or Ra, or or or.... what is the issue?

If you feel that is wrong, because other things are celebrated on that day by other people, you have 3 days to get all your celebrations in on. Good luck. :)
:devil:

This.

Persephone66

BANNED
Banned
You don't have any from your gender make up.
Well you tell me Nick, what's a guy that got both flavours of puberty when he was 17 supposed to wear?
You adding ex post facto doesn't change anything.
I haven't added anything. I have never had any cosmetic surgery or taken any hormone replacement. I'm 100% natural. I thought I explained this very clearly.
No matter how bad you want it, you will never have a uterus and ovaries.
I got a costume suggestion for you, you can be a super hero, Captain Obvious.