ECT Hypothetical for literalist Bible believers

musterion

The problem with D'ist literalists is that when you get to the right pinchpoints, they are not literal. They are wildly deviant about Acts 13:32, Acts 2:30, Eph 3:6, Heb 12:22, etc, among others. Rom 11 especially is always a matter of protecting precious D'ist resources, then after that what the text actually says.

If you can't stay on topic, Autismo, don't post or I'll ask that you be removed.

musterion

"When I use a word," Humpty Dumpty said (in rather a scornful tone), "it means just what I choose it to mean—neither more nor less."

"The question is," said Alice, "whether you can make words mean so many different things."

"The question is," said Humpty Dumpty, "which is to be master—that's all."

Interplanner

The judgement of God that he wants us to know about is that the Judge stepped down and took the place of the judged sinner. this other interest is a caricature of the grandeur of the Gospel. Desist! I just sat through 2 weeks of it at a 'Bible study' where they felt they needed to nail day every single judicial procedure God's judgement, just for the hobby of knowing.

glorydaz

Except the person who won't agree ends up the martyr.

We see this in many areas, truth be told. We get unfriended for speaking our mind. We get ridiculed for who we support in politics. We get told we're mean for speaking the truth. They want us to lay down and be silent.

It's becoming more like back in the day when the Jews were hidden in the attic, and we were forced to lie....like Rahab did, for instance.

JudgeRightly

裁判官が正しく判断する
Staff member
Administrator
Super Moderator
Gold Subscriber
If I were in the situation in the OP, I would do my job, but immediately start looking for another job. Once I had one lined up, I would give my two weeks notice, and then quit of my own accord.

In the mean-time, I would not fellowship with the person (if they were to try to sit with me at the lunch table, or try to initiate small talk around the water fountain/bubbler/coffee machine, I would simply ignore them, not say anything at all). The only thing I would do to interact with them is (on personal time or anytime not on company property) to witness to them, and try to show them the way to Christ. If they insist on me leaving them alone, then I will, and not speak to them again except for work purposes.

musterion

If I were in the situation in the OP, I would do my job, but immediately start looking for another job. Once I had one lined up, I would give my two weeks notice, and then quit of my own accord.

Lots of permutations to consider there...let's say the person in question is licensed for this particular field. When he/she went into it, racking up not a small debt to do so (wise, unwise, it's done now), situations like this were unthinkable. So it's not like he/she is a machinist who can look around and find another machine shop to work at. The attitude we're talking about here is pervasive throughout this particular industry, or is fast becoming so. In short, through no fault of their own there's no way to get away from it within the profession this person is locked into. But they can't afford to just chuck it and walk away -- though what a lovely idea THAT would be! Rock and a hard place. They can't afford to quit...but they can be fired for believing as they do, which leaves them in the same spot: publicly disgraced (as a "bigot" and "hater") and broke, and every life-destroying thing those entail.

In the mean-time, I would not fellowship with the person (if they were to try to sit with me at the lunch table, or try to initiate small talk around the water fountain/bubbler/coffee machine, I would simply ignore them, not say anything at all). The only thing I would do to interact with them is (on personal time or anytime not on company property) to witness to them, and try to show them the way to Christ. If they insist on me leaving them alone, then I will, and not speak to them again except for work purposes.

That last part is already the case. Believe it -- there are people such as the one in question who are looking to be offended by being offensive and only the unwise don't realize it.

Saw it just today...this is no joke...a similar person, an open homosexual, wearing a t-shirt with a big upside down cross on it. A professing believer mentioned to the person that the shirt was offensive to their faith. The offender said "Free speech." This is the same type of person who has claimed emotional damage at JUST seeing people wear crosses around their necks or Bibles sitting unopened on their desks, and had management impose their will because it's easier for management to do the PC thing even if they know it's BS.

It's quickly getting to the point where there will be no way to get away from it because they don't WANT you to get away from it. They do not believe in live and let live. That was a lie. The end goal is you bowing before their will or they'll destroy you if you don't.

Wick Stick

Lots of permutations to consider there...let's say the person in question is licensed for this particular field. When he/she went into it, racking up not a small debt to do so (wise, unwise, it's done now), situations like this were unthinkable. So it's not like he/she is a machinist who can look around and find another machine shop to work at. The attitude we're talking about here is pervasive throughout this particular industry, or is fast becoming so. In short, through no fault of their own there's no way to get away from it within the profession this person is locked into. But they can't afford to just chuck it and walk away -- though what a lovely idea THAT would be! Rock and a hard place. They can't afford to quit...but they can be fired for believing as they do, which leaves them in the same spot: publicly disgraced (as a "bigot" and "hater") and broke, and every life-destroying thing those entail.
This just doesn't pass muster.

I've blown up my career twice now. It isn't life-destroying. It can seem that way before it happens. Afterwards, I wandered how/why I let myself sit in that pile of crap for as long as I did.

Is this a real thing or some silly hypothetical? If it's real, get out of dodge. Plan your exit, and do it the right way if possible. If they ask you why you're leaving, let them know you don't wish to work with someone who is using the workplace for activism.

musterion

This just doesn't pass muster.

I've blown up my career twice now. It isn't life-destroying. It can seem that way before it happens. Afterwards, I wandered how/why I let myself sit in that pile of crap for as long as I did.

Is this a real thing or some silly hypothetical? If it's real, get out of dodge. Plan your exit, and do it the right way if possible. If they ask you why you're leaving, let them know you don't wish to work with someone who is using the workplace for activism.

What careers did you have that were piece of cake to up and walk away from?

Wick Stick

What careers did you have that were piece of cake to up and walk away from?
I'm an accountant. I blew up my gig as a staff accountant for a major corporation the first time, and as general manager of a mid-sized write-up practice once.

I didn't say it was a piece of cake. But, career does not equal life (unless you make it that way, I guess).