ECT Husbands

Interplanner

There is no biblical divorce today. Not for two believers anyway. But in your case...

Of course there is. If a Christian partner cheats, the faithful and Christian partner can divorce (but doesn't have to). Why don't you just read it and leave it alone?

Interplanner

Back to the high standard: did you (whomever) mean that the lifetime savings account was a higher standard? I was merely drawing an analogy to the gift of the Gospel for the believer. What Christ did is that kind of account for the believer, good for lifetime. Each gender is asked to do a lot.

This week I heard Allison Armstrong as a alternate monthly guest on Prager and she was talking about the woman's most difficult hurdle is to expect to her husband to be a really great...woman-friend. When that 'wall' or frustration is encountered poorly, she may act out.

Angel4Truth

Hall of Fame
I'm not wrapped up in it, but it is totally natural for beauty to be cultivated and for the wife to be attractive that way. A man is attractive in other ways, and the term would be physical conditioning rather than looks.

The looks is also not nearly as important as respect and admiration, but when a wife has done work on their appearance to be admiring, you can imagine what happens.

I still don't see a way out of actually performing for your partner and not falling back on unconditional love. Save that for the smaller % of not getting to 100% of what you should perform, but don't make it the basis for a relationship.

Would those things matter if you were blind? What do you think love is?

Interplanner

Would those things matter if you were blind? What do you think love is?

Good question, but there are other senses aren't there, and I said effort for attractiveness must be there, there must be evidence on both sides of it.

To use other imagery: the New Jerusalem is 'prepared as a bride beautifully dressed for her husband.' What does that look like?

Interplanner

So the line from Revelation is bonkers. Got it.

So is the one from Ephesians about washing with the water of the word (what that would mean in the ordinary). Got it.

So Prov 5:19 has nothing to do with physical appearance/attractiveness? Right-o.

Or 6:25's warning means that the guy's wife is to be a slob and ugly? Sure.

We don't expect every person out there to have advanced Christian practices on all things, and should not about marriage. If a mature Christian couple is past that stage, good for them, but for most people, the female version of dishonoring your husband is to be a slob, and there is a male counterpart to that, of course, partly about appearance, too.

musterion

You are truly stupid in your recalcitrance.

So Prov 5:19 has nothing to do with physical appearance/attractiveness? Right-o.

The key word there is always. Like, when the woman has gone from having long legs and big breasts to having big legs and long breasts. Love her anyway because women age less well (on average) than men. And men, being visually driven, need to accept this. True agape love will do just that. What you're calling love, I have to doubt it.

Last edited:

musterion

Example: my wife was about 123 and 5'7 when we met in college. 18 years later, she's still 5'7. She's mothered my two daughters and her body, as many do, has paid for it. I love her dearly now, more than I possibly could have then, when I was driven WILD by her generous waist/hip ratio.

Though he's pretty much an atheist (at least Christian Scientist) Mike Nesmith in one of his songs refers to an older love that has cooled, but it's grown; and in growing deeper and wider is worth FAR more than the lost heat of youth.

Do you understand any of what I say?

Interplanner

You are truly stupid in your recalcitrance.

The key word there is always. Like, when the woman has gone from having long legs and big breasts to having big legs and long breasts. Love her anyway because women age less well (on average) than men. And men, being visually driven, need to accept this. True agape love will do just that. What you're calling love, I have to doubt it.

I'm obviously with the passages referring to younger women who can do something about it, but have decided to be slobs. I'm not talking about the toll of gravity.

You need to get dialed in to the pressures on marriages today, or get off the horn here.

I do know a woman who was what you described, however, she did everything she could, visual and verbal, to be an attractive person. Bingo. You didn't notice her physically that much. And that's not even who those passages are addressed to, as she was in her 60s. this discussion really started with the 'bride dressed for her husband' of Rev 21, so keep that age in mind.

Angel4Truth

Hall of Fame
I'm obviously with the passages referring to younger women who can do something about it, but have decided to be slobs. I'm not talking about the toll of gravity.

You need to get dialed in to the pressures on marriages today, or get off the horn here.

I do know a woman who was what you described, however, she did everything she could, visual and verbal, to be an attractive person. Bingo. You didn't notice her physically that much. And that's not even who those passages are addressed to, as she was in her 60s. this discussion really started with the 'bride dressed for her husband' of Rev 21, so keep that age in mind.

Dressed in righteousness, which comes from the washing of the word and Godly covering from her husbands love.

Interplanner

Here's another great line by Allison Armstrong, understandmen.com:

"Men know they are marrying another gender when they marry, but women need to learn this; they think they are marrying another woman who has external male characteristics."

Danoh

Here's another great line by Allison Armstrong, understandmen.com:

"Men know they are marrying another gender when they marry, but women need to learn this; they think they are marrying another woman who has external male characteristics."

One...

...generalizing is by nature sinful.

Two, that quote is at times, as much a description of one male or another (not all, and not in all situations), as it is of one female or another (not all, and not in all situations).

Get a grip, IP :chuckle:

Nevertheless, Rom. 5:8

Truster

The epistles are guides for the holy only. The holy are given the desire and then they are equipped to conform to the precepts laid out by Paul.

Reading the "opinions" of those that are neither enlightened nor equipped is the manifestation of a verse from Psalm 2 "He will have them in derision".

Last edited: