Votes: 2 18.2%
  • more than eight hours of sleep

Votes: 2 18.2%
  • I have trouble sleeping regurally

Votes: 1 9.1%

• Total voters

Ktoyou

Hall of Fame
Did your sister ever have trouble sleeping?

No, she has had normal difficulty, while I have never been able to fall asleep easy. Once I am asleep, it is easy, but falling to sleep scares me!

Let's get some more polls votes please.

Ktoyou

Hall of Fame
Keep on posting and polling so I can get a sample of sleep habits on TOL. It seems we have long sleepers and short sleepers, which seems strange?

ebenz47037

Proverbs 31:10
Silver Subscriber
LIFETIME MEMBER
Hall of Fame
At night, I usually sleep anywhere between 5 to 8 hours, depending on how active my mind is. I usually have to read to get to sleep. And, I take short naps throughout the day. I've always had problems sleeping.

The Barbarian

BANNED
Banned
Turns out, it's normal for humans to sleep for a few hours, wake up and putter around a bit, and then sleep again.

Before the industrial revolution, it was a common pattern. It was called "second sleep."
Interestingly, the appearance of sleep maintenance insomnia in the literature in the late 19th century coincides with the period where accounts of split sleep start to disappear. Thus, modern society may place unnecessary pressure on individuals that they must obtain a night of continuous consolidated sleep every night, adding to the anxiety about sleep and perpetuating the problem.
https://www.sciencealert.com/humans-used-to-sleep-in-two-shifts-and-maybe-we-should-start-to-again

Freed from work schedules by retirement, I've been experimenting with this, and I frequently wake up about 2:00 or so. Rather than lie there, I spend about an hour writing in the journal, processing pictures or putzing about on the net.

Then I go back to sleep until 6:30 or so, when the dog thinks she must have a walk.

Works for me.

genuineoriginal

I get about the same amount of sleep every night.
If I go to bed early enough to get the recommended amount of sleep, I wake up so early it throws off my entire morning.