ECT How is Paul's message different?

Cross Reference

IIRC, CR is the one, several months back, who repeatedly denied that the mob fell down at Christ's Word because He said He is I AM. CR said it was just simply because they were surprised, or something.

If I remember wrongly, he can correct me. If I remember correctly, keep that in mind when dealing with him.

Consider yourself corrected.

Cross Reference

You tell me!

Then tell me how its relevant to the discussion.

re you or anyone unconditionally sealed: Comment on what Jesus said to the churches if you want to continue this discussion.

OMT, to be clear: I live by what Paul teaches. Always have.

OMT2: The wall of separation has been removed by the blood of Jesus Christ. There is no difference now concerning who wrote what and to whom. Got it? Start your understanding from that correct perspective.

Grosnick Marowbe

Hall of Fame
re you or anyone unconditionally sealed: Comment on what Jesus said to the churches if you want to continue this discussion.

OMT, to be clear: I live by what Paul teaches. Always have.

OMT2: The wall of separation has been removed by the blood of Jesus Christ. There is no difference now concerning who wrote what and to whom. Got it? Start your understanding from that correct perspective.

Wrong again, LA junior.

Lazy afternoon

LIFETIME MEMBER
LIFETIME MEMBER
Because if I am reading someone else's mail, how does it profit me to act as though it was written to me?

Is it not more profitable to me if I read it in its intended context and thereby learn something about both the author and the recipient, not to mention the God they both serve?

Its just exactly the same thing you do with the whole of the Old Testament. How much more profitable is the Old Testament to you than it is to those who make the error of believing that the Old Testament applies directly to them and that we should therefore observe the Feasts and worship on the Sabbath?

It isn't that you don't divide the word of truth its that you divide it differently than I do. The very question that this thread has sought to answer is not whether the word aught to be divided but rather which of us is dividing it rightly.

Resting in Him,
Clete

No,it all depends on who you are listening to and teaching you.

LA

Shasta

Gal 2:2-9.

This scripture is evidently supposed to be a self-explanatory verification of MAD yet when the text is examined closely there is no evidence of MAD’s claims. For one, though Paul mentions having a revelation he does not say when, where it happened in his narrative nor does he say what the revelation was. How would the Galatians have known what the content of his revelation was without Paul explicitly saying so? He does not say, for instance, “ I went up because of a revelation about a new Gospel of Grace. For the Galatians to make such an inference they would need special background knowledge of Pauline terminology. To make this comport with MAD the unstated idea that revelation=Paul’s Grace Gospel has to be imported into the text.

A more straightforward interpretation is that Paul's “revelation” was not about a new gospel or about any doctrine but about his needing to go to Jerusalem right at that particular time.

Some versions make this very clear:

New International Version

I went in response to a revelation and, meeting privately with those esteemed as leaders,

New Living Translation

I went there because God revealed to me that I should go

Berean Study Bible

I went in response to a revelation

New American Standard Bible

It was because of a revelation that I went up;

International Standard Version

Interpreted this way, the verse gives Paul’s motive for going to Jerusalem. He went IN RESPONSE to (or “because” of, or “by”) a vision that he should go. It does not make much sense to say he went there because of a revelation he had years ago; especially when he had said nothing about this revelation in the account he has just given of his life. It also would not answer of why he decided to go to Jerusalem just then.

The Judaeizers at that very moment were planning to meet with the Apostles in order to sabotage Paul’s relationship with them, saying that Paul taught unorthodox doctrine. However, the Spirit beat them to the punch by showing Paul via revelation what they were up to and that he should go and meet with the Apostles. The meeting was of strategic importance to the Gentile mission and Paul’s arrival right at that time was timely in that it prevented disunity and brought the Apostles into fellowship. This interpretation makes sense with the flow of thought and requires no special background knowledge about what “revelation” signifies.

That there were not two gospels is affirmed a little later when Paul explains to the Galatians that there are not two ways of salvation: one Jewish and the other Gentiles. Instead the only way to be saved was through faith in Jesus.

15 We ourselves are Jews by birth and not Gentile sinners; 16 yet we know that a person is not justified by works of the law but through faith in Jesus Christ, so we also have believed in Christ Jesus, in order to be justified by faith in Christ and not by works of the law, because by works of the law no one will be justified. (Galatians 2:15-16)

Paul says WE, meaning he and other Jewish believers. No one in that category was justified by works of the law but solely through faith in Jesus. They, like the Galatians were justified by faith. The Judaizers who had infiltrated the Church were trying to convince them otherwise.

Lazy afternoon

LIFETIME MEMBER
LIFETIME MEMBER
This scripture is evidently supposed to be a self-explanatory verification of MAD yet when the text is examined closely there is no evidence of MAD’s claims. For one, though Paul mentions having a revelation he does not say when, where it happened in his narrative nor does he say what the revelation was. How would the Galatians have known what the content of his revelation was without Paul explicitly saying so? He does not say, for instance, “ I went up because of a revelation about a new Gospel of Grace. For the Galatians to make such an inference they would need special background knowledge of Pauline terminology. To make this comport with MAD the unstated idea that revelation=Paul’s Grace Gospel has to be imported into the text.

A more straightforward interpretation is that Paul's “revelation” was not about a new gospel or about any doctrine but about his needing to go to Jerusalem right at that particular time.

Some versions make this very clear:

New International Version

I went in response to a revelation and, meeting privately with those esteemed as leaders,

New Living Translation

I went there because God revealed to me that I should go

Berean Study Bible

New American Standard Bible

It was because of a revelation that I went up;

International Standard Version

Interpreted this way, the verse gives Paul’s motive for going to Jerusalem. He went IN RESPONSE to (or “because” of, or “by”) a vision that he should go. It does not make much sense to say he went there because of a revelation he had years ago; especially when he had said nothing about this revelation in the account he has just given of his life. It also would not answer of why he decided to go to Jerusalem just then.

The Judaeizers at that very moment were planning to meet with the Apostles in order to sabotage Paul’s relationship with them, saying that Paul taught unorthodox doctrine. However, the Spirit beat them to the punch by showing Paul via revelation what they were up to and that he should go and meet with the Apostles. The meeting was of strategic importance to the Gentile mission and Paul’s arrival right at that time was timely in that it prevented disunity and brought the Apostles into fellowship. This interpretation makes sense with the flow of thought and requires no special background knowledge about what “revelation” signifies.

That there were not two gospels is affirmed a little later when Paul explains to the Galatians that there are not two ways of salvation: one Jewish and the other Gentiles. Instead the only way to be saved was through faith in Jesus.

15 We ourselves are Jews by birth and not Gentile sinners; 16 yet we know that a person is not justified by works of the law but through faith in Jesus Christ, so we also have believed in Christ Jesus, in order to be justified by faith in Christ and not by works of the law, because by works of the law no one will be justified. (Galatians 2:15-16)

Paul says WE, meaning he and other Jewish believers. No one in that category was justified by works of the law but solely through faith in Jesus. They, like the Galatians were justified by faith. The Judaizers who had infiltrated the Church were trying to convince them otherwise.

Another good post of truth.

LA

Jamie Gigliotti

Your mind and heart are not so separate as your question would suggest. Not that they are the same thing but simply that they are connected and that consistent compartmentalization cannot be maintained.

To say in your mind that you believe something that you don't open your heart too, as you put it, is simply to lie to yourself and to fake your own consciousness. Generally speaking, your heart will follow the conviction of your mind as will your body. To the extent it won't for the Christian is what we refer to as "the flesh". Paul spoke to this explicitly and makes it clear that the battle is won or lost IN YOUR MIND - not your heart.

Romans 7:14 For we know that the law is spiritual, but I am carnal, sold under sin. 15 For what I am doing, I do not understand. For what I will to do, that I do not practice; but what I hate, that I do. 16 If, then, I do what I will not to do, I agree with the law that it is good. 17 But now, it is no longer I who do it, but sin that dwells in me. 18 For I know that in me (that is, in my flesh) nothing good dwells; for to will is present with me, but how to perform what is good I do not find. 19 For the good that I will to do, I do not do; but the evil I will not to do, that I practice. 20 Now if I do what I will not to do, it is no longer I who do it, but sin that dwells in me.

21 I find then a law, that evil is present with me, the one who wills to do good. 22 For I delight in the law of God according to the inward man. 23 But I see another law in my members, warring against the law of my mind, and bringing me into captivity to the law of sin which is in my members. 24 O wretched man that I am! Who will deliver me from this body of death? 25 I thank God—through Jesus Christ our Lord!

So then, with the mind I myself serve the law of God, but with the flesh the law of sin.

It is not our hearts we should be trusting (Jeremiah 17:9) but rather the conviction of our minds as Paul goes on to say in Romans 8...

Romans 8:5 For those who live according to the flesh set their minds on the things of the flesh, but those who live according to the Spirit, the things of the Spirit. 6 For to be carnally minded is death, but to be spiritually minded is life and peace. 7 Because the carnal mind is enmity against God; for it is not subject to the law of God, nor indeed can be.

Romans 12:2 And do not be conformed to this world, but be transformed by the renewing of your mind, that you may prove what is that good and acceptable and perfect will of God.​

Lastly, getting back to your original point, I said...

"To say I believe is to connect to Him Spiritually. (Yes, I noticed the capital 'S'.)

You cannot do one without the other, unless you're just lying to begin with."​

This is exactly what Paul teaches in Romans 10...

Romans 10:10 For with the heart one believes unto righteousness, and with the mouth confession is made unto salvation.​

And so, I say again, you cannot do one without the other, unless you're just lying to begin with.

Resting in Him,
Clete
I would first I agree if there is not heart love/Spiritual connection with Christ it is a lie. And sadly the lie is often what the person living the lie is unaware of.

But a mind could be aware of God and Christ's reality and reject Him with the heart and soul, such as Satan and His hosts, or Satanists.

Nick M

Black Rifles Matter
LIFETIME MEMBER
Hall of Fame
Paul says WE, meaning he and other Jewish believers. No one in that category was justified by works of the law but solely through faith in Jesus.

Then explain Galatians 2 in relation to Acts 15 and your claim right here. There are only 500+ posts and no one has done it.

Cross Reference

I would first I agree if there is not heart love/Spiritual connection with Christ it is a lie. And sadly the lie is often what the person living the lie is unaware of.

But a mind could be aware of God and Christ's reality and reject Him with the heart and soul, such as Satan and His hosts, or Satanists.

So what is your point that a Christian needs such counsel?

Clete

Truth Smacker
Silver Subscriber

True but that wasn't what you were saying, was it?

I mean, you can't believe that Satan is connected to God Spiritually (capital S). So I'm not sure how it's relevant.

Last edited:

Cross Reference

True but was t what you were saying, was it?

I mean you can't believe that Satan is connected to God Spiritually (capital S). So I'm not sure how it's relevant.

Where is your reply to my last and the one before that? Its been so long and so many I am loosing track. Perhaps that this is just your way to change the subject?

Shasta

The power of a paradigm is truly astounding. You see in this verse something that is just simply not there. You read it as though it was saying the same thing as 2 Peter but it just isn't.

Read the book of Colossians without the chapter breaks and added headings that most bibles insert. Just read it like its one single letter written in one sitting. Read as the Colossians read it.

The verse you quote is still in the introduction. Paul hasn't even gotten to the point of his letter by this point yet. He gets to it by the end of chapter 2. He's telling the Colossians not to rely on the law! Which is no surprise because that's the theme of Paul's whole ministry. He isn't talking about their salvation but about their daily Christian walk, in this life.

Colossians 2:6 As you therefore have received Christ Jesus the Lord, so walk in Him, 7 rooted and built up in Him and established in the faith, as you have been taught, abounding in it with thanksgiving.

8 Beware lest anyone cheat you through philosophy and empty deceit, according to the tradition of men, according to the basic principles of the world, and not according to Christ. 9 For in Him dwells all the fullness of the Godhead bodily; 10 and you are complete in Him, who is the head of all principality and power.

20 Therefore, if you died with Christ from the basic principles of the world, why, as though living in the world, do you subject yourselves to regulations— 21 “Do not touch, do not taste, do not handle,” 22 which all concern things which perish with the using—according to the commandments and doctrines of men? 23 These things indeed have an appearance of wisdom in self-imposed religion, false humility, and neglect of the body, but are of no value against the indulgence of the flesh.

Resting in Him,
Clete

The phrase "as you have received Christ Jesus so walk in Him" shows that our first step of faith that brought us into right relationship with God must be followed by an ongoing WALK of FAITH (Colossians 2:6).

A person walking by faith (i.e., trust in, belief in, dependence upon, confidence in, Jesus) will not be walking in immorality. The two ways of life are contradictory and mutually exclusive. Under the Law, the idea was that IF people abstained from immorality and practiced the ceremonial law ("touch not," "handle not") then they would be in right relationship with God (Colossians 2:20-23).

In the NC the ceremonial part of the law has been done away with but righteous requirement (or intent) of the moral law has not been dispensed with rather, it is fulfilled as we walk in the Spirit (Romans 8:4).

Paul said,

"Walk in the Spirit, and ye shall not fulfil the lust of the flesh.
(Galatians 5:16)

He did not say "if you try very hard not to fulfill the lusts of the flesh then you will be walking in the Spirit." Yielding to the Spirit comes first (Romans 6:12-14). It is the Father's will that not only our actions but our inner thoughts and deepest motives be in conformity to His nature of love. In the OC a person had to try very hard to do this and, in the end, they could not succeed. In the NC, the sacrifice of Christ made a way for God's Spirit to live inside us even before we are perfectly in His image. From this position, the Holy Spirit is able to "write His laws on our hearts" (Jeremiah 31:33, 2 Corinthians 3:6)He did not do all this so we can live like children of the devil and yet still call ourselves sons of God.

It is not hard to interpret Colossians 1:21-23so long we keep in mind the simple tenses of the verbs and refrain from importing "paradigms" until the work of exegesis is done.

21And you, who once were alienated and hostile in mind, doing evil deeds

The word "alienated" speaks of Colossian's past. Using the perfect participle shows it as an active state IN THE PAST.

22a he has now reconciled in his body of flesh by his death,

This was about an event (their reconciliation to God) that happened and was completed IN THE PAST.

22b in order to present you holy and blameless and above reproach before him

This part of the verse refers to the ultimate "presentation" of the believer to Christ. It is a FUTURE event. The Father's INTENTION and PURPOSE is that when that time arrives we will be standing before him holy, blameless and above reproach.

Had Paul left off the rest of the passage here we might get the idea that this end is already settled and secure. Then it would be stating that SINCE we are "blameless and above reproach" now then we necessarily will be THEN. However, Paul adds a condition:

23 IF indeed you continue in the faith, stable and steadfast, not shifting from the hope of the gospel that you heard, which has been proclaimed in all creation under heaven, and of which I, Paul, became a minister.

The condition for our being among those who will be "presented blameless and above reproach before Him" is that we

(1) CONTINUE IN THE FAITH (i.e., continuing in our faith-relationship to Christ) and that we

(2) ARE NOT MOVED AWAY FROM THE GOSPEL (i.e., that we do not reject or abandon the truth that saved us).

You asked before where the warning was. Here it is. In fact, there is both hope AND warning in this verse, depending on whether our eyes are "fixed on Him" or whether we, like Lot's wife, are looking longingly back to the pleasures of sin.

The exegesis of this passage is so simple and its meaning so clear that it requires a considerable subversion of hermeneutics to make it mean anything else. Ultimately, what it shows is that Paul did not teach a gospel of antinomianism.