How does Bob view time?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Door

"All God has to do is act and time is generated as a consequence"
William Lane Craig

When was God stagnant?

Do you think God created communication, or is communication the result of God communicating?

Adrial

I suspect the only reason time is measured, is because of death. :rip:

Without death, there is no need to measure time.

When death ceases to exist, time will be measured no more.

This might be a little to simplistic, but why measure something that has no end? Thus time will end. 1 Cor 15:55 Rev 21:4 and Praise Him, so will death!

wwww

BANNED
Banned
The past, present, future is fundamentally the same for us and God since time is unidirectional. God cannot be in a non-existent future (time is not a place or thing), while we are in the present. It is 2008 for God and us. Eternal now simultaneity is incoherent and unbiblical.

It couldn't be the same.

The universe and everything in it is stamped with contingency, it takes place in a spatio temporal environment.

Anything that changes has potentiality that must be realized through something that is already actual. To say that God is potential in any way is to say something must proceed God to realize God's potentiality.

Time is the environment like the spatial in which emergents occur. You cannot separate time and and space. "the more fundamental" argument is nonsensible.

The eternal is not incoherent it is the antithesis of time and we can know of it in a relational way to time. By saying God is infinite, we are saying he is not finite.

We are also saying God is ETERNITY, the similitaneuos perfection of all limitless life. We not saying God is ETERNAL like eternity is an attribute of God.

Even in terms of physics "knowing the future" is not inconceivable, special relativity demostrates that hypothetically if a person could travel at the speed of life they could observe the lives of people not travelling at the speed of life flash by and know there "future" acts.

JoyfulRook

I saw a thread here about time, but it was unclear what exactly Bob's stance on the issue was.

A few years ago when I was recording a bible series with Bob, he'd have to drive quite a bit to pick up my friend and I. So in the car once a week we'd have the most interesting conversations, and my favorite by far was our ongoing conversation about time.

We came to the conclusion that it exists only an abstract concept. :)

Delmar

Patron Saint of SMACK
LIFETIME MEMBER
Hall of Fame
I looked, but can't find the original qupte. Is there anyone else who wants to help, rather than hinder?

For now, I will assume Delmar is his wife, because Delmar said something about a wife in a nearby post.
err, WHAT?

I can assure you that MrsDelmar is much younger and better looking than I am!

wwww

BANNED
Banned
wwww: too much philosophy and speculation; not enough simplicity and Scripture.

http://revivaltheology.gharvest.com/9_openness/eternity.html

This resonates more with me than physics...

I read this link up to "examination of Scripture text" and I'll read on. I'll address now problems I see already.

In the second paragraph it mentions the argument I presented about "if anything does now exist, then something must be self-existent." I agree wholeheartedly. This is the potentiality/actuality principle. This comes directly fron Aristotle and Greek philosophy.

The New Testament was written in the Greek, Paul was from Tarsus which was all influenced by Greek philosophy along with Judea in Jesus time.

There is no escaping the infuence of Greek philosophy on the New Testament and its writers. So this argument that Augustine or Aquinas or Luther were influenced by Greek philosophy somehow discredits them is ludicrous.

The Old Testament writers (At least the books contained in Protestant Old Testament) were written by the ancient Hebrews who never separated the concept of time from an event as this writeup basically says. Their time is all qualitative and linked with an event.

Its only the Greeks who started looking at the concept of time as this whole article does.

The first paragraph says we can still come to an incomplete understand through reasoning which is what we do with philosophy.

So let's see if the reasoning fits into God being in time.

In the next post..

godrulz

Hall of Fame
Scripture gives some parameters for this time/eternity discussion, but there are also logical and philosophical issues not fully resolved in Scripture.

The Holy Spirit reveals truth. Greek philosophy may complement or contradict it, usually the latter. John infused new meaning into 'logos' concept, for e.g. Paul opposed Greek philosophy when it was contrary to truth. He alluded to it as a starting point at times (Unknown God; Greek poets...in him we move and have our being, etc.).

Revelation > reason.

Lighthouse

The Dark Knight
Gold Subscriber
Hall of Fame
I looked, but can't find the original quote. Is there anyone else who wants to help, rather than hinder?

For now, I will assume Delmar is his wife, because Delmar said something about a wife in a nearby post?!
If you were to click on the arrow next to my screen name in the quote in Delmar's post you will be directed to my post, and will see the quotes from Knight under his wife's screen name, and his own.

He created man in his own image by man having a rational soul.

Man is created creator. God is uncreated first cause.
And?

Do you think He cannot create us to experience as He does?

A few years ago when I was recording a bible series with Bob, he'd have to drive quite a bit to pick up my friend and I. So in the car once a week we'd have the most interesting conversations, and my favorite by far was our ongoing conversation about time.

We came to the conclusion that it exists only an abstract concept. :)
Oddly enough I came to this same conclusion as a settled theist. I even wrote a lyric about it.

godrulz

Hall of Fame
Post #? I went through the thread and clicked things with no luck.

Is Knight's wife's name a secret?

wwww

BANNED
Banned
Scripture gives some parameters for this time/eternity discussion, but there are also logical and philosophical issues not fully resolved in Scripture.

The Holy Spirit reveals truth. Greek philosophy may complement or contradict it, usually the latter. John infused new meaning into 'logos' concept, for e.g. Paul opposed Greek philosophy when it was contrary to truth. He alluded to it as a starting point at times (Unknown God; Greek poets...in him we move and have our being, etc.).

Revelation > reason.

We have to read revelation in light of reason and we can only go so far with supernatural revelation.

You are making a point though that Christ was a stumbling block for the Jews and foolishness for the Greeks because the Greeks could not understand a God who would allow himself to be crucfied.

wwww

BANNED
Banned
You're thinking God "experiences" something the way humans do.

Humans that are composed of essence and existence participate in existence.

As such we perceive "done existence" through our senses and our senses form a phantasm in our mind and from this phantasm we form premises in our reasoning that causes a conclusion to be known.

God as the first cause is not composed of essence and existence. His essence and existence are the same and he is wholly actual. He is "doing experience" and as such (as we only know through the relationship from how humans know something) He would will an end, but willing an end is not the cause of His willing the means, yet he wills an ordering of the means to the end.

The analogy of a human novelist conceiving and willing, all at once, the entire plot of his novel, in which perfect order demands that one event takes place after another.

(arrows represent causality)

Human intellect understanding the premises---->understanding the conclusion.

Divine intellect understanding----->[premise-->conclusion]

Human will willing the end---->willing the means

Divine will: willing------->[end---> mean]

What I've already said here covers the objection in the article that an eternal God could not create something in sequence.

The idea that creation means change is incorrect. That is change in previously existing material.

A first cause in order to be a first cause must be the complete cause of something and an active agent of change cannot be the complete cause. This is something the article misses completely. Hawking argues that there may not have been an initial change in the universe.

Ex creatio does not post temporal. The dependency is metaphysical based on a line of sufficient reasoning. There may not have been a starting point of time as Hawking suggests, but since the universe is potentially changing all the time it still depends on a wholly actual first cause.

This is a serious flaw in the endless time argument. From waht we know of the big bang, time could very well have a beginning.

The Graphite

:idunno: with a wristwatch?
Actually, I've heard Bob opposes wristwatches, since homos love to flop their wrists around as they do.

Being a staunch advocate of a strong, central government, Bob favors a strong central timepiece in the form of a big, sturdy grandfather clock.

SaulToPaul 2

Actually, I've heard Bob opposes wristwatches, since homos love to flop their wrists around as they do.

Being a staunch advocate of a strong, central government, Bob favors a strong central timepiece in the form of a big, sturdy grandfather clock.

Are pocket watches ok?

godrulz

Hall of Fame
What I've already said here covers the objection in the article that an eternal God could not create something in sequence.

The idea that creation means change is incorrect. That is change in previously existing material.

A first cause in order to be a first cause must be the complete cause of something and an active agent of change cannot be the complete cause. This is something the article misses completely. Hawking argues that there may not have been an initial change in the universe.

Ex creatio does not post temporal. The dependency is metaphysical based on a line of sufficient reasoning. There may not have been a starting point of time as Hawking suggests, but since the universe is potentially changing all the time it still depends on a wholly actual first cause.

This is a serious flaw in the endless time argument. From waht we know of the big bang, time could very well have a beginning.

Creation is a change from nothing to something. Matter is not eternal.

Hawking has changed his own views significantly over time. He rejects revelation and is speculative at best.

Many creation scientists do not accept a secular understanding of 'big bang' (www.icr.org).

William Lane Craig suggests that God is timeless in eternity and temporal after creation. I resonate with Wolterstorff's divine temporality view.

The issues are not simplistic, but I think you are buying into a speculative philosophy that is not defensible in the end.

Rev. 1:4 tensed expresions are used about the eternal God.

Ps. 90:2 Before earthly time, God was existing in an endless duration of time (from everlasting to everlasting, not timeless, a philosophical concept only).

http://www.amazon.com/God-Time-Gregory-E-Ganssle/dp/0830815511 (search inside for contents)

Status
Not open for further replies.