How does Bob view time?

Status
Not open for further replies.

wwww

BANNED
Banned
I saw a thread here about time, but it was unclear what exactly Bob's stance on the issue was.

The Graphite

As a leader, his view on time is that he never has enough of it.:help:

:rotfl: bwah ha ha! If ever a true word was said... Sometimes I think he simply doesn't accept the Noachic reduction of human life span and is trying to cram 969 years into one lifetime.

But seriously, as an Open Theist, Bob Enyart would rightly observe that time is a characteristic of existence, not something we live "inside," as in "He is in time," or "He is outside of time." As a Person who is living, personal, relational, loving and good, God necessarily experiences time chronologically.

godrulz

Hall of Fame
:rotfl: bwah ha ha! If ever a true word was said... Sometimes I think he simply doesn't accept the Noachic reduction of human life span and is trying to cram 969 years into one lifetime.

But seriously, as an Open Theist, Bob Enyart would rightly observe that time is a characteristic of existence, not something we live "inside," as in "He is in time," or "He is outside of time." As a Person who is living, personal, relational, loving and good, God necessarily experiences time chronologically.

The traditional, Platonic 'eternal now' simultaneity view is in error, as you point out.

Time is not a thing nor a place. Endless time (eternal/everlasting), not timelessness, is coherent. Time is duration/sequence/succession, something that must be experienced by a personal being (will, intellect, emotions require duration).

Ps. 90:2; Ps. 102:27; Rev. 1:4

wwww

BANNED
Banned
So similar to Kant believing time is a condition of the mind which we need to conceptualize our experience.

wwww

BANNED
Banned
I don't know what Bob is talking about when he says "Let's see if something happens if we bring the two clocks together." Obviously the two clocks would be at the same elevation so they would be in sinc.

If he is talking about the physical effects on the atomic clocks, they are seen by faster time at a higher elevation. If he is talking about the effects gravity has on our body, at zero gravity we float compared to the effects our body goes through with g forces.

The helicopter example is silly. The space shuttle takes atomic clocks up with it and there is a difference in the time on the shuttle with those clocks on earth. Its not because the shuttle is time machine, its because it is outside our atmosphere and at zero gravity.

fool

Hall of Fame
In Bob's argument, he is talking about general relativity. If one clock is running a few nanonseconds faster, then even after a long peiod of time and after checking the two clocks, there will only be a few nanoseconds difference.

In Bob's argument he hates the phrase "relative" being applied to time because he doesn't like "relative" morals so he attacks relativity in regards to time dialation because he feels he needs to defeat that in order to defeat moral relativism and the hillarity insues.

It's a TOL classic.

fool

Hall of Fame
I don't know what Bob is talking about when he says "Let's see if something happens if we bring the two clocks together." Obviously the two clocks would be at the same elevation so they would be in sinc.

If he is talking about the physical effects on the atomic clocks, they are seen by faster time at a higher elevation. If he is talking about the effects gravity has on our body, at zero gravity we float compared to the effects our body goes through with g forces.

The helicopter example is silly. The space shuttle takes atomic clocks up with it and there is a difference in the time on the shuttle with those clocks on earth. Its not because the shuttle is time machine, its because it is outside our atmosphere and at zero gravity.

But Bob says it dosen't he says the clock gets off because gravity effects clocks but not time.

Delmar

Patron Saint of SMACK
LIFETIME MEMBER
Hall of Fame
I saw a thread here about time, but it was unclear what exactly Bob's stance on the issue was.
I'm not going to speak for Bob but this thread inspired me to bring back my old signature.

The Graphite

I'm not going to speak for Bob but this thread inspired me to bring back my old signature.
Actually, I would disagree with your signature. If you read the context of that passage, you'll see that the point of the passage is not about how God views or relates to time at all, but rather it is about God's patience expressed through His faithfulness to return. :thumb:

Delmar

Patron Saint of SMACK
LIFETIME MEMBER
Hall of Fame
Actually, I would disagree with your signature. If you read the context of that passage, you'll see that the point of the passage is not about how God views or relates to time at all, but rather it is about God's patience expressed through His faithfulness to return. :thumb:
I am just commenting on the meaning of the phrase, not the overall meaning of the verse. I think my point stands up just fine.

Status
Not open for further replies.