Hot Plate Used to Keep Food Warm on the Sabbath Sparks Brooklyn Fire That Kills Seven

serpentdove

BANNED
Banned
[Hot Plate Used to Keep Food Warm on the Sabbath Sparks Brooklyn Fire That Kills Seven Kids] "A house fire in Brooklyn killed seven siblings early Saturday morning. Authorities say the fire was likely sparked by a hot plate that was being used to keep food warm on the Sabbath. The dead children’s mother and one of her daughters managed to get out by smashing a window and jumping, but the four boys and three girls in upstairs bedrooms were trapped, and no one was able to save them. “I heard a child yelling, ‘Mommy! Mommy, help me!’ ” a neighbor tells the New York Daily News. “I looked out the back window, and I saw flames, smoke ... The smoke and the flames were horrendous...” Ro 3:20, Lk 13:5. Full text: Hot Plate Used to Keep Food Warm on the Sabbath Sparks Brooklyn Fire That Kills Seven

Last edited:

aCultureWarrior

BANNED
Banned
LIFETIME MEMBER
The dead children’s mother and one of her daughters managed to get out by smashing a window and jumping, but the four boys and three girls in upstairs bedrooms were trapped, and no one was able to save them. “I heard a child yelling, ‘Mommy! Mommy, help me!’ ” a neighbor tells the New York Daily News. “I looked out the back window, and I saw flames, smoke ...

Thank goodness the mother made it out alive (what kind of parent leaves his or her children to perish?).

serpentdove

BANNED
Banned
How is this political?

It's current news. "Politics Current Events, Abortion, homosexuality, gun control, public schools, welfare, taxes, government etc."

Jews cannot use their oven on the Sabbath. That's why he was using the hotplate.

Last edited:

serpentdove

BANNED
Banned
Thank goodness the mother made it out alive (what kind of parent leaves his or her children to perish?).
This man was a law keeper. He may have thought, as some do, that by keeping God's law--God owes him a good life. Ro 7:13, Gal. 3:24, 25

Last edited:

1PeaceMaker

Did you hear about the dad who was about to rush into a burning building to save his 3 year old but police kept tazering him and made him watch the house burn his baby up? Sick and sad.

I don't know why she didn't go back. I was thinking I'd go back, and drop my one safe baby out the window. They were doomed, having put the children out of reach on the top floor.

serpentdove

BANNED
Banned
Did you hear about the dad who was about to rush into a burning building to save his 3 year old but police kept tazering him and made him watch the house burn his baby up? Sick and sad.

Adrian Rogers discussed a similar story. The man died two years later of a broken heart:

[Brightest In The Dark edited notes Adrian Rogers sermon] "May 18, 1923 in South Carolina, USA. There was a terrible fire in a school house, 70 children were burned to death. The people in South Carolina community came to stand around that school house to do what they could do, the raging inferno was such that they could not get in there to rescue the children from that terrible holocaust.

There was a father who came there and looked in through the window and he could see his son on the flames, the son recognize the dad, and the dad recognize the son and the boy said to his daddy, "Daddy! Daddy! Save me daddy, save me! And the dad begun to go into the flames and the strong men held him back, there was no way, it was totally impossible to save his son, it was too late. The little boy saw what was happening and began to cry and said, "Daddy, can't you save me? Daddy, Daddy save me!" And that father watched his son wither like a flower with a settling torch turned on him.

Night and day after that, that father, could see with his eyes his son in those flames. He could hear in his ears the pitiful cry of his son, "Daddy, can't you save me, Daddy can't save me?"

He lived about two years after that, he died prematurely because he died of such an anguish of heart and soul. This world is in a perishing state, this world looks at science, this world says to science, science can't you save me? And science says, no I can't save you, I can tell you how far is the earth from the sun But I cannot tell you how to remove sin from your heart, I can't save you. The world looks at philosophy, and the world says, philosophy, can't you save me? And philosophy says, I can't save you, I can tell you more more about less and less, and you know everything about very little but I can't save you. The world looks at education, and says, education, can't you save me? I can make you smart but I can't make you wise, I can't save you. The world looks to culture and the world says, culture, can't you save me? Culture says all I can do is to make the world a better place to go to hell from. There is only one who can save and He is mighty to save and His name is Jesus, He is the light of the world.

In your home, you've tried everything, you need Jesus. In your life, you've tried everything, you've tried religion, you've tried church membership, you've tried turning over a new leaf but you have never ever bowed on the feet of Jesus, you've truly never received Christ in your heart. Jesus alone is the answer to your heart hunger, Jesus Christ who saved me when I was a teen age boy is the Jesus who wants to save you, and He will save you today if you trust Him. The Light of the world is Jesus and He is Light for you in your darkness."
Brightest In The Dark

Last edited:

Rusha

LIFETIME MEMBER
LIFETIME MEMBER
Hall of Fame

I don't know why she didn't go back. I was thinking I'd go back, and drop my one safe baby out the window. They were doomed, having put the children out of reach on the top floor.

This is the whole article you are referencing:

http://www.foxnews.com/us/2013/11/0...pdad-trying-to-save-son-from-fire-1637542212/

elohiym

Jews cannot use their oven on the Sabbath. That's why he was using the hotplate.

I attended Lubavitch Yeshiva as a child and recall spending at least one sabbath with a Lubavitch family. My experience with them was over forty years ago but I still remember that they used their stove like a hot plate, keeping it on low for the entire sabbath.

It's my impression that they have this custom because of the command of Exodus 35:3. Perhaps these days they mostly use hot plates in their homes, but I don't think using their stove in the manner I described is forbidden. The command could be interpreted to keep a fire going all sabbath, which is the more logical interpretation for several reasons better discussed on a theology thread.

If you think he was using the hotplate because of sabbath legalism, I have no good reason to disagree. However, consider there are Christian families that keep the sabbath without such superfluous, legalistic and potentially dangerous rules. The day is not supposed to be burden but a delight.

aCultureWarrior

BANNED
Banned
LIFETIME MEMBER

The police were only doing their job, as the firefighters attempting to rescue his 3 year old didn't need to worry about another person inside of the building.

A woman I know told me a story about her parents taking her toddler daughter and cousin camping. The two kids were standing at the edge of a creek tossing sticks and rocks into the water while the grandparents stood nearby. The grandparents took their eyes off of the kids for two seconds and the next thing they knew was the little girl was being swept away after jumping into the water to retrieve a stick she had taken a liking to.

The elderly grandfather jumped into the water and a couple of hundred yards downstream was able to reach out and grab the collar of the little girl's shirt and hand her up to the grandmother who had run along the shoreline with her toddler grandson.

The grandfather later admitted that it was a last ditch effort to save his granddaughter, as he was exhausted and about to perish in the creek's fast moving current.

The one thing that made this man admirable in my eyes and to this day admire him greatly was the words that he said:

"I wasn't coming back without her."

John 15:13 is about as close as I can come to quoting Scripture for that story.

serpentdove

BANNED
Banned
I attended Lubavitch Yeshiva as a child and recall spending at least one sabbath with a Lubavitch family. My experience with them was over forty years ago but I still remember that they used their stove like a hot plate, keeping it on low for the entire sabbath.

It's my impression that they have this custom because of the command of Exodus 35:3. Perhaps these days they mostly use hot plates in their homes, but I don't think using their stove in the manner I described is forbidden. The command could be interpreted to keep a fire going all sabbath, which is the more logical interpretation for several reasons better discussed on a theology thread.

If you think he was using the hotplate because of sabbath legalism, I have no good reason to disagree. However, consider there are Christian families that keep the sabbath without such superfluous, legalistic and potentially dangerous rules. The day is not supposed to be burden but a delight.

I have an oven with a Sabbath setting--not that I need it, oy! It can be programmed not to function on the Sabbath.

This was why the man was using the hotplate. He did not need to keep dietary laws. Ac 10:13-15, Ro 8:5, Heb 13:9, Gal 5:1, Ga 3:10, 12, 24-25, Jas 2:10-11, 2 Cor 3:7-11, 17, 1 Ti 4:1-3 :poly:

Recommended reading:

The Plot by Bob Enyart

Last edited:

serpentdove

BANNED
Banned
A woman I know told me a story about her parents taking her toddler daughter and cousin camping. The two kids were standing at the edge of a creek tossing sticks and rocks into the water while the grandparents stood nearby. The grandparents took their eyes off of the kids for two seconds and the next thing they knew was the little girl was being swept away after jumping into the water to retrieve a stick she had taken a liking to.

The elderly grandfather jumped into the water and a couple of hundred yards downstream was able to reach out and grab the collar of the little girl's shirt and hand her up to the grandmother who had run along the shoreline with her toddler grandson.

The grandfather later admitted that it was a last ditch effort to save his granddaughter, as he was exhausted and about to perish in the creek's fast moving current.

The one thing that made this man admirable in my eyes and to this day admire him greatly was the words that he said:

"I wasn't coming back without her."

John 15:13 is about as close as I can come to quoting Scripture for that story.

We can't always save them.

I am poured out like water, and all my bones are out of joint: my heart is like wax; it is melted in the midst of my bowels [Ps. 22:14].

"This accurate description of crucifixion is remarkable when you consider that crucifixion was unknown when this psalm was written. The Roman Empire was not even in existence, and it was Rome that instituted crucifixion. Yet here is a picture of a man dying by crucifixion!

“I am poured out like water”—the excessive perspiration of a dying man out in that sun.

“All my bones are out of joint”—the horrible thing about crucifixion is that when a man began to lose blood, his strength ebbed from him, and all his bones slipped out of joint. That is an awful thing. It was terrible, terrible suffering.

Then He says something that is indeed strange, “My heart is like wax.” He died of a broken heart. Many doctors have said that a ruptured heart would have produced what John meticulously recorded. “But one of the soldiers with a spear pierced his side, and forthwith came there out blood and water” (John 19:34). Let me paraphrase that. “I saw that Roman soldier put the spear in His side and there came out blood and water—not just blood but blood and water.” John took note of that and recorded it. May I say to you, Jesus died of a broken heart." McGee, J. V. (1991). Thru the Bible commentary: Poetry (Psalms 1-41) (electronic ed., Vol. 17, pp. 127–128). Nashville: Thomas Nelson.

Related:

Blood and Water