Homosexuality selected because of societal function

Rusha

LIFETIME MEMBER
LIFETIME MEMBER
Hall of Fame
Given a year's time, you wouldn't have to pretend.
You could learn to enjoy another type of music.

I don't see why that's so unbelievable.
People do it all the time.

Many times consciously, by choice.
Kids often choose to like certain types of music to be "in" with a particular group.

Unless those you are speaking of who "do it all the time" are bots, it doesn't happen.

Quite frankly, I don't buy for a minute that you would be able to stop loving your wife and children with the same effort it would take to flip a light switch ...

Arthur Brain

A good friend of mine hated, absolutely hated, country music.

Then, for a couple years, he traveled around with his dad, who only listened to country music, the whole time they were driving. Hours on end, for days on end, for months on end.

Guess what? He started to love country music.

But AB says that can't happen.

I worked in an office where I was constantly compelled to endure the most pop chart music friendly radio station for three years. I initially hated practically everything that was broadcast at first and then three years later - the very same.

And at the risk of sounding arrogant - if your musical interests lie outside of anything mainstream to begin with then any 'pop' genre isn't likely to appeal - else you go listen to that Ligeti piece and then tell me if you like it or not. Chances are your friend was not exactly into anything overly dissonant to start with so I doubt he was a fan of underground industrial electronica before being "converted" to country music anyway...

MrDante

I agree. That would be difficult.

Maybe, like with many personality traits, there's some kind of "point of no return" for one's taste in sexual partners.

But that doesn't mean it's not the result of many small choices made over a long period of time.

Musical taste is a bad analogy to orientation. I believe a much better analogy woudl be comparing homosexuality to being left-handed. If one is left-handed it is entirely possible to train (or be forced to train) yourself to write with your right hand. However being able to write with the right hand won't make a left-handed person right handed as such things are hardwired into the brain.

glassjester

I worked in an office where I was constantly compelled to endure the most pop chart music friendly radio station for three years. I initially hated practically everything that was broadcast at first and then three years later - the very same.

And at the risk of sounding arrogant - if your musical interests lie outside of anything mainstream to begin with then any 'pop' genre isn't likely to appeal - else you go listen to that Ligeti piece and then tell me if you like it or not. Chances are your friend was not exactly into anything overly dissonant to start with so I doubt he was a fan of underground industrial electronica before being "converted" to country music anyway...

He liked Marilyn Manson a lot before country music. Then he liked both.

I will go listen to Ligeti.

MrDante

We know, from stratified random sample,controlled by birth order, there are statistically significant higher rates of reported homosexuality in males. We do not know why this is, and what is proposed, is conjecture, based on the difficulty of precise statistical models for determining constructs with many confounding factors.

One example, perhaps younger male sibling are more apt to reveal homosexual tendencies?

Your example is doubtful as those same studies show the increased rates of homosexuality hold even for those males adopted out.

Arthur Brain

Given a year's time, you wouldn't have to pretend.
You could learn to enjoy another type of music.

I don't see why that's so unbelievable.
People do it all the time.

Many times consciously, by choice.
Kids often choose to like certain types of music to be "in" with a particular group.

If you're 'choosing' to like music to be in a particular group then that just undermines your argument yet further again. It's not the enjoyment of the music that counts it's the approval of peers. You really do have a logical disconnect on this.

Rusha

LIFETIME MEMBER
LIFETIME MEMBER
Hall of Fame
You really have no control over what music you like?

Why would I ... and more importantly, why *should* I. Music is a personal thing that coincides with my personality. I also can't tell you why I love the color of red, turquoise and black and abhor yellow and orange. When you go out looking for a pet, do you allow others to tell you which one suits you best or do you go with the one that feels right and make up your own mind.

Frankly this seems to be more about wishing to control the PRIVATE lives of others than genuine interest or concern ...

Arthur Brain

We like what's most familiar to us.
The more you listen to a type of music, the more you'll come to genuinely enjoy it.

That's not a controversial statement.

Well no. The first thing that hits me usually about a piece of music is harmony, sometimes it's timbre or rhythm but usually harmony. It can be complex, diatonic or flat out atonal but there has to be a richness of sound or progression to it. Now, given that most manufactured pop songs are rooted in the most basic and generic forms of tonality/chord progression it ain't too surprising that it just ain't appealing. I'll listen to all manner of genres and sub genres as long as there's something that piques interest. I hope this clarifies for you now. In relation to the matter of homosexuality then it's only women who pique such in turn. Someone could offer me the world and I'd still be straight.