Homeschoolers

Christine

Thanks. He's lived a pretty messed up life. His parents divorced when he was young, and he was raised by his mother who was addicted to drugs. After he got older, he to became addicted, and was in jail and/or prison some. Now he's finally starting to get his life together, and has been expressing an interest in religion. Unfortunately, far Eastern religions such as Buddism, Hindism, and other New Age movements appeal to him the most.

Nathon Detroit

LIFETIME MEMBER
LIFETIME MEMBER
Originally posted by Christine
That's great Slip, but the Feast of Tabernacles normally falls September/October. If you do celebrate Christmas, please understand that you aren't celebrating the birth of Christ. In our family, a get-together (such as Christmas) is a great opportunity to witness to some of my lost cousins. :)
Christine... I am not sure you read the article very carefully. :angel:

Christine

Knight: After re-reading the article, I'm getting the impression that Becky (I thought she wrote it) celebrates Christmas in order to look forward to His second coming. Am I correct? :)

Nathon Detroit

LIFETIME MEMBER
LIFETIME MEMBER
Knight: After re-reading the article, I'm getting the impression that Becky (I thought she wrote it) celebrates Christmas in order to look forward to His second coming. Am I correct? :)
Hmmmm... no that wasn't what I got.

Nathon Detroit

LIFETIME MEMBER
LIFETIME MEMBER
Christine you wrote....
If you do celebrate Christmas, please understand that you aren't celebrating the birth of Christ.
Becky's note acknowledges this and is in agreement with your comment but Becky goes on to say....
So, why celebrate December 25th if that is not Jesus’ real birthday?

The fact that Jesus was born at the time of the Feast of Tabernacles means that His conception would have been nine months earlier in December! How appropriate it is, then, to celebrate the coming of the One who is The Light of the World. (John 1:2-9; 8:12) Reflect on this as you observe the twinkling lights around your neighborhood and let them help to remind you of the true meaning of Christmas!
Cool eh?

Nathon Detroit

LIFETIME MEMBER
LIFETIME MEMBER
Hey Knight, quick question, what would you say the reason is that you celebrate Christmas? :)
Well....

There are several reason we celebrate Christmas.

The first reason is....

Christmas is our tradition for celebrating the birth of Jesus. So what if the date is wrong? Would it make a big difference to you if we discovered (hypothetically speaking of course) that resurrection Sunday actually happened in July? Would that lesson the importance of the remembrance of the occasion?

The second reason is...

Christmas is fun! It's a time that family get together and eats lots of food etc. The kids look forward to opening presents on Christmas morning and they generally get excited for all the festivities.

Personally I don't even bother to tell my lost friends... "Oh Jesus wasn't really born on December 25th" after all..... even my lost friends are feeling a tad spiritual during Christmas and I sure don't want to throw a wet blanket on what possibly could be a witnessing opportunity for them.

If they are curious and they ask I might tell them about the date error but the bottom line is does it really matter? Does God look down and get angered because we have His Son's birthday messed up or does He look down and feel joyous that we are spreading the gospel and fellow-shipping with each other?

In Christ - Knight

Christine

Originally posted by Knight
Well....

There are several reason we celebrate Christmas.

The first reason is....

Christmas is our tradition for celebrating the birth of Jesus. So what if the date is wrong? Would it make a big difference to you if we discovered (hypothetically speaking of course) that resurrection Sunday actually happened in July? Would that lesson the importance of the remembrance of the occasion?

The second reason is...

Christmas is fun! It's a time that family get together and eats lots of food etc. The kids look forward to opening presents on Christmas morning and they generally get excited for all the festivities.

Personally I don't even bother to tell my lost friends... "Oh Jesus wasn't really born on December 25th" after all..... even my lost friends are feeling a tad spiritual during Christmas and I sure don't want to throw a wet blanket on what possibly could be a witnessing opportunity for them.

If they are curious and they ask I might tell them about the date error but the bottom line is does it really matter? Does God look down and get angered because we have His Son's birthday messed up or does He look down and feel joyous that we are spreading the gospel and fellow-shipping with each other?

In Christ - Knight

That's interesting, Knight. As you don't believe that is when Jesus was born, would you see nothing wrong with those, like my family who choose not to celebrate? I

Nathon Detroit

LIFETIME MEMBER
LIFETIME MEMBER
That's interesting, Knight. As you don't believe that is when Jesus was born, would you see nothing wrong with those, like my family who choose not to celebrate? I
No, I see nothing wrong with that.

Christine

Originally posted by Knight
No, I see nothing wrong with that.

Thanks Knight. :) Besides all of the main reasons that I mentioned earlier that we don't celebrate, it is alot of work.
My mother is sickly, and some years after all of the work Mom would just get worse. Dad wants to due all he can to keep her out of the hospital.