Hindu Prayer Interrupted in US Senate

Status
Not open for further replies.

Balder

If you mean that "it is ok to believe whatever you want to believe as long as you are sincere", I must say, "that won't do". While sincerity is a virtue, it is possible to be sincerely wrong and to put your faith in a belief or in someone that cannot save the soul. In effect, you can be worshipping or have faith in idols (false gods). Certain things must be known, understood, and believed for a person to have saving faith.

No, I am not saying it is okay to believe whatever you want as long as you're sincere. At least, I'm not saying that "sincerity of belief" is the deciding religious virtue. In a society which honors freedom of religion, it does basically come down to allowing people to believe whatever they want (as long as it does not harm others). But spiritually, I support a more universalist perspective because I believe the contemplative traditions of multiple religions give testimony to the discovery of the same essential spiritual ground. The exoteric "skins" of religion are very different, and also often relatively shallow.

fool

Hall of Fame
That's bull.
I think Hindus should show up and heckel the Christian prayers from now on.
Or just get rid of the prayers alltogether.
Quit talking to your imaginary friends and get to work!

Stripe

Teenage Adaptive Ninja Turtle
LIFETIME MEMBER
Hall of Fame
That's bull.
I think Hindus should show up and heckel the Christian prayers from now on.
Or just get rid of the prayers alltogether.
Quit talking to your imaginary friends and get to work!
That won't work. Hindu's are tolerant and allow people to believe whatever they like.

Balder

In each instance where you express an opinion, are you right or wrong?

Sometimes right, sometimes wrong. What's your point? If you think I belong to the "mere relativist" camp, and that I think that there is no basis at all for truth claims other than personal taste and cultural fashion, then you're barking up the wrong tree. That's not what I believe. I believe there are universal truths. I just happen to believe that the idea that "all other religions are false and wrong, and there is no way to be saved other than by believing in Jesus Christ" is not one of them.

Stripe

LIFETIME MEMBER
Hall of Fame
Sometimes right, sometimes wrong. What's your point?
Your thinking is wrong when you make statements like, "I think those who say, "ours is the only way and the only truth," are wrong".

What have you got against the possibility that someone may be right and won't abide falsity just because you don't have a firm grasp on what you believe.

Adam

Hall of Fame
The atheists should be just as upset as the Christians about this matter, but they're not. They'd rather make fun of us Christians for not being 'tolerant'.

It appears that the atheists are the biggest hypocrites of all for not being equally condemning of the Hindus for practicing faith in a government setting.

Balder

Your thinking is wrong when you make statements like, "I think those who say, "ours is the only way and the only truth," are wrong".

What have you got against the possibility that someone may be right and won't abide falsity just because you don't have a firm grasp on what you believe.

I do have a clear, firm grasp of what I believe. And I believe that Christian exclusivism and the assumption that Christianity is superior in all regards are both wrong ideas.

Nineveh

Merely Christian
I found a vid out on the net on this topic. I read some of the comments left. It appears most of the commenters forgot a few things. Firstly, that the men who founded this nation gave glory to a specific God who granted the rights we have, and the deity wasn't from the hindu pantheon. Secondly, that the "freedom of religion" isn't the only right in the 1st amendment, there is also a freedom of speech. And lastly, that no one was forcing any sort of religion on this hindu fellow. He is free to be a pagan if he likes.

It appears pagans like to forget it's "Christianity" that has allowed the freedom to be a pagan they now enjoy.

Granite

Hall of Fame
I found a vid out on the net on this topic. I read some of the comments left. It appears most of the commenters forgot a few things. Firstly, that the men who founded this nation gave glory to a specific God who granted the rights we have, and the deity wasn't from the hindu pantheon. Secondly, that the "freedom of religion" isn't the only right in the 1st amendment, there is also a freedom of speech. And lastly, that no one was forcing any sort of religion on this hindu fellow. He is free to be a pagan if he likes.

It appears pagans like to forget it's "Christianity" that has allowed the freedom to be a pagan they now enjoy.

Often history's proven we have freedom and liberty despite of religion, certainly not because of it.

Balder

Weren't many of the founding fathers were Deists? And I believe some expressed outright dislike for the Bible.

If many of the people here at TOL were in charge of setting up the country, the rights and freedoms that were given then would not have been given, I feel certain.

I do agree that the Christian protestors were within their rights as citizens. They can complain as loudly as they want. The question is, should the Hindu have been allowed to lead prayer in the Senate?

Stripe

LIFETIME MEMBER
Hall of Fame
I do have a clear, firm grasp of what I believe. And I believe that Christian exclusivism and the assumption that Christianity is superior in all regards are both wrong ideas.
Oh. So it's only when christians assert that they are right that you get upset...

Nineveh

Merely Christian
Weren't many of the founding fathers were Deists?

Five total. Three of which changed their minds later in life. The last two were Jefferson and Franklin. The jury is still out on Franklin though.

If many of the people here at TOL were in charge of setting up the country, the rights and freedoms that were given then would not have been given, I feel certain.

And I feel you are as accurate in this assessment as you are of our founding father's beliefs.

The question is, should the Hindu have been allowed to lead prayer in the Senate?

No. Honoring a foreign god who did not grant us our rights is a silly thing to do. Why would you want to? What exactly are you honoring a pagan deity for? Your own personal religion? So what? That's a bit close minded.

Even the pagans should honor the God our founders gave glory to for the rights we have. What's the problem with that? Afraid they will burn in hell for idolatry or something?

The Barbarian

BANNED
Banned
Bottom line? There is a law that works to assure equal rights for all religions, that says we shall neither establish religion nor oppress it. Those anti-American (and incidentally anti-Christ, since they attempted to impose their religious preferences by force) demonstrators who attempted to violate the law and Christian principles, are indeed the idiots.

Nineveh

Merely Christian
Those anti-American (and incidentally anti-Christ, since they attempted to impose their religious preferences by force)

I missed that part of the story, when did someone use force to impose religion?

Edit: I wanted to note that force was used to quell the freedom of speech in this instance.

jeremiah

BANNED
Banned
The very first commandment. I am the Lord thy God, thou shalt have no other gods before me. The U.S. Senate in its chambers, for the first time ever, has set other gods, before the God of the Bible. As a government body, that represents our nation, it has bowed its head to a Baal, to seek protection and blessing for our country.

Are there 7 thousand government servants, either elected or appointed, who have not bowed their knees to another god, in the name of diversity and pluralism, for the sake of the safety and security of their job and livelihood?

I do know, that the God of the Bible is a jealous God. If you want to bring down this country, by having Him turn His back on us, as we have turned our government's back to Him, this is a very effective way to do it. This Hindu prayer was actually an attempt to "curse" this nation and not to "bless" it.

This is the type of thing Balak hired Balaam to do. The Muslims are rejoicing at this Hindu prayer. Just as they rejoice over our abortion "non-laws", our adultery non laws, and our homosexual non laws. All of these things together and more, set us up for a removal of protection, and a greater curse, to our families and our lives.

The atheists have not a clue what is happening to this nation in the spiritual realm. This is how nations decline and fall. They fall under pluralistic and permissive attacks from the enemy of life, generated in the "air" around us.

I agree with the prayer of the believer........... "Lord Jesus forgive us." Shed your love abroad, and in our hearts.

Status
Not open for further replies.