Hello

Memento Mori

You rather avoided the question. If I do something to you that is hurtful/insulting/mean/belittling/etc., what is the proper response according to the Golden Rule?

Well, firstly it assumes that you wish harm upon yourself if you should harm others.

Secondly, the "golden rule" only states treat others as you would have them treat you. Not treat others as they do treat you. I should treat you how I want to be treated. I should not treat you in the manner I perceive you as treating me.

Also, welcome AC! :e4e:

Rusha

LIFETIME MEMBER
LIFETIME MEMBER
Hall of Fame
I look forward to a spirited debate and perhaps an opportunity to free the minds of some people enslaved by religious dogma.

My handle may seem odd, but I am an atheist who is constantly faced with shock from others when they learn I am not a Christian because I am more Christ like than most Christians.

You can have Morals without the tales of a 2000 year old desert dwelling people.

My focus on Christianity is a result of living in the middle of the bible belt and facing their prejudiced and hate for being a non believer. I have however spent 4 years studying comparative religion studies, so I am well versed in all faiths.

AtheistChristian said:
Thanks for the Welcome.

If we follow the golden rule we should get along just fine , right?

CabinetMaker said:
Depends. Do you understand what the Golden Rule really means?

AtheistChristian said:
Yes I do, but you should not take being proven incorrect as an attack.

CabinetMaker said:
So tell us what it means.

AtheistChristian said:
To treat others as you would like to be treated.

CabinetMaker said:
So if I insult you, how would you respond according to the Golden Rule?

voltaire said:
Then you have failed miserably at applying it.

who have I insulted?

I apologize to anyone I have insulted. That was not my intention.

Like I said, being proven wrong is not an attack. Curing someone of ignorance is not a malicious act.

AC ... they are responding as they are because you have belittled their beliefs and straight out referred to them as ignorant.

CabinetMaker

Member of the 10 year club on TOL!!
Hall of Fame
AC ... they are responding as they are because you have belittled their beliefs and straight out referred to them as ignorant.
He hasn't belittled my beliefs at all. He is a non-believer and I expect him to act accordingly. No worries there.

I am honestly curious if he lives by the Golden rule or not.

Angel4Truth

Hall of Fame
My handle may seem odd, but I am an atheist who is constantly faced with shock from others when they learn I am not a Christian because I am more Christ like than most Christians.

Then the shock is misplaced and comes from those who do not know what being a Christian is. Being a Christian means being forgiven. The only "Christ likeness" is before the Father, because His righteousness is our covering.

Wile E. Coyote

Then the shock is misplaced and comes from those who do not know what being a Christian is. Being a Christian means being forgiven. The only "Christ likeness" is before the Father, because His righteousness is our covering.
Wow Sis! What wonderful words of life! I must spread some rep around but I will get back to you with a pos rep.

freelight

Eclectic Theosophist
trailblazing.......

trailblazing.......

who have I insulted?

I apologize to anyone I have insulted. That was not my intention.

Like I said, being proven wrong is not an attack. Curing someone of ignorance is not a malicious act.

Welcome AC. I think this saying is appropriate here -

"If you think education is expensive, try ignorance".

-Attributed to both Andy McIntyre and Derek Bok

I'm sure you will enjoy the various personalities here, some more illustrious than others :)

om shanti,

pj