God in relation to time

WhollySchmitz

Ok,, when a movie is made they go thru it and edit,, they used to go by the TAPE and cut it,now its digital and they just rewind,,, I think of God ,seeing how He made this "movie" can rewind,or cut it.. just like an editor of a movie..

And why would He edit this "movie"? What or who does He have to prepare it for showing?

WhollySchmitz

ahh ,,well.. you are the one who asked why,arent you?

and the showing is what we call real time reality,,now...this moment..

Ohhhh, so our reality has already happened or has been planned out and now as we experience it He is editing it in our real time. Am I understanding that correctly?

JosephR

Ohhhh, so our reality has already happened or has been planned out and now as we experience it He is editing it in our real time. Am I understanding that correctly?

lol,,no not at all...the SHOW as far as we are concerned is reality..

it was just a ,,BAD parable.. the movie,,if He was to edit the past.

I have no idea if reality has happened allready,the only thing I am sure of is it is a illusion, per Einstein..

Well ill let others tell ya what they think man ,,welcome and goodluck !

WhollySchmitz

lol,,no not at all...the SHOW as far as we are concerned is reality..

it was just a ,,BAD parable.. the movie,,if He was to edit the past.

I have no idea if reality has happened allready,the only thing I am sure of is it is a illusion, per Einstein..

Well ill let others tell ya what they think man ,,welcome and goodluck !

Thanks for the insight!

Tambora

Get your armor ready!
LIFETIME MEMBER
Hall of Fame
It is clear throughout scripture that God is eternal, that He was not created and will never end. So my question doesn't relate to that,
Good start.

but if He experiences time sequentially like we do, or does He experience all of time all at once because He created time and is above it?
First, I agree with Desert Reign that "time" was not created, but is just a title we give to a concept.
That concept being that what one does is either before or after something else one does. The interlude between, we call "time".

As whether God experiences time in a sequential manner, I would say yes.
For example: God made promises to Abraham BEFORE God gave the law to Israel. And He says that the law (that came after the promises) could not disannul the promises (that came before the law).

WhollySchmitz

Good start.

First, I agree with Desert Reign that "time" was not created, but is just a title we give to a concept.
That concept being that what one does is either before or after something else one does. The interlude between, we call "time".

For example: God made promises to Abraham BEFORE God gave the law to Israel. And He says that the law (that came after the promises) could not disannul the promises (that came before the law).

I agree. That is so well said. Thanks for your thoughts!

JosephR

Good start.

God Promises He has NO beginning.He was before and will be after what we call the beginning and the end of time.. So now you have to deal with this,,,

IN THE BEGINNING,, first 3 words of the BIBLE, In Hebrew.. Bereisheet bara.. בְּרֵאשִׁית בָּרָא אֱלֹהִים אֵת הַשָּׁמַיִם וְאֵת הָאָֽרֶץ

This starts ALL the PHYSICAL universe.. in turn starts time as we conceive it,, in sequential order... the transfer of energy if you like how physics explain time.. how ever you wana slice it or dice it..and He was as we conceive,with our "time" :) was before,,lol,, TIME as we know it...as thoughts can know it,, because thought takes energy transfer....

I respect you ALOT Tam,, and dont want to bump heads with you cause I know you are far superior on Theology then Me,, but on this point about time,, I feel. Is right.

PureX

It is clear throughout scripture that God is eternal, that He was not created and will never end. So my question doesn't relate to that, but if He experiences time sequentially like we do, or does He experience all of time all at once because He created time and is above it?
My answer would be both.

We are "expressions of" God. As is everything else. As is both time, and timelessness.

These are not things we can imagine or understand. God is not something we're going to be able to grasp the full nature of. What we can do, though, is be our part of the whole. We can be what we were created to be. That's our purpose, and as we fulfill that purpose, we become our own small reflection of that divine nature.

That's how I look at it.

Tambora

Get your armor ready!
LIFETIME MEMBER
Hall of Fame
IN THE BEGINNING,, first 3 words of the BIBLE, In Hebrew.. Bereisheet bara.. בְּרֵאשִׁית בָּרָא אֱלֹהִים אֵת הַשָּׁמַיִם וְאֵת הָאָֽרֶץ

This starts ALL the PHYSICAL universe.. in turn starts time as we conceive it,, in sequential order... the transfer of energy if you like how physics explain time.. how ever you wana slice it or dice it..and He was as we conceive,with our "time" :) was before,,lol,, TIME as we know it...as thoughts can know it,, because thought takes energy transfer....

I respect you ALOT Tam,, and dont want to bump heads with you cause I know you are far superior on Theology then Me,, but on this point about time,, I feel. Is right.

Without getting too deep into this right now, I can say that Hebrew words have a variety of meaning.

The Hebrew word in question can also mean "summit/chief/pinnacle" as in a high point or a climatic point.

The starting of the physical universe was certainly a high point.
But it was not the beginning (time wise) of everything God has ever done (unless one thinks that God was in an inactive comatose state before that).

But it's OK with me if you want to disagree with the viewpoint I have.
I won't shoot ya for it!!!!! hehe!

JosephR

Without getting too deep into this right now, I can say that Hebrew words have a variety of meaning.

The Hebrew word in question can also mean "summit/chief/pinnacle" as in a high point or a climatic point.

The starting of the physical universe was certainly a high point.
But it was not the beginning (time wise) of everything God has ever done (unless one thinks that God was in an inactive comatose state before that).

But it's OK with me if you want to disagree with the viewpoint I have.
I won't shoot ya for it!!!!! hehe!

I ABSOLUTELY believe God was doing.. well whatever God does, Before, In the Beginning in Genesis :)

Tambora

Get your armor ready!
LIFETIME MEMBER
Hall of Fame
I ABSOLUTELY believe God was doing.. well whatever God does, Before, In the Beginning in Genesis :)
The very fact that you believe something was going on BEFORE the beginning of the physical universe suggests that time existed before the beginning of the physical universe.
Otherwise there would be no BEFORE.
The very word "BEFORE" qualifies it.

JosephR

The very fact that you believe something was going on BEFORE the beginning of the physical universe suggests that time existed before the beginning of the physical universe.
Otherwise there would be no BEFORE.
The very word "BEFORE" qualifies it.

Well I think in a physics train of thought... and what happens outside of the physical universe... happens in a way. what we cannot understand..

I do see you logic however.. its just that.. ok,, time is easy to understand in secular ,linear timeline,sequence. like a book... however we in 3 dimensions cannot comprehend how things in the 4th or higher dimensions work,,, the same way a 2 dimension entity cannot reason how me move and work..

Its in the spiritual realm,,and I am not sure time or events work the same way there is all...

you see,, God speaks,or thinks things into existence.. we have to plan, get material, build things... HE does not have to do the same steps.... uhhg how to explain...IN this universe we cannot create nor destroy matter or energy.... for nothing new is under the Sun.. however God can.. so things do not work,,or He does not play by the same rules we do...

Nihilo

BANNED
Banned
My answer would be both.

We are "expressions of" God. As is everything else. As is both time, and timelessness.

These are not things we can imagine or understand. God is not something we're going to be able to grasp the full nature of. What we can do, though, is be our part of the whole. We can be what we were created to be. That's our purpose, and as we fulfill that purpose, we become our own small reflection of that divine nature.

That's how I look at it.
:up:

WhollySchmitz

My answer would be both.

That's how I look at it.

Interesting perpective! Thanks for your thoughts.

However I'm confused by what you mean by what our purpose is, and what we are created to be. Will you explain what you mean a little more?

PureX

Interesting perpective! Thanks for your thoughts.

However I'm confused by what you mean by what our purpose is, and what we are created to be. Will you explain what you mean a little more?
As a Christian it means setting aside our own fears and self-centered desires, and allowing ourselves to be "owned" by God's spirit of love, forgiveness, generosity and kindness, that exists within us as reflections of our Creator. This is our purpose, and as we come to fulfill it (if we will do so) we become more fully who we were created to be.

As a taoist, (I am also a philosophical taoist) it means not trying to understand or control the way of things, but instead, aligning ourselves with it. … Aligning ourselves with the 'flow of being'. it means not struggling with life, or people, in an effort to make them align with our will, or visa vis.

Nihilo

BANNED
Banned
As a Christian it means setting aside our own fears and self-centered desires, and allowing ourselves to be "owned" by God's spirit of love, forgiveness, generosity and kindness, that exists within us as reflections of our Creator. This is our purpose, and as we come to fulfill it (if we will do so) we become more fully who we were created to be.

As a taoist, (I am also a philosophical taoist) it means not trying to understand or control the way of things, but instead, aligning ourselves with it. … Aligning ourselves with the 'flow of being'. it means not struggling with life, or people, in an effort to make them align with our will, or visa vis.
:up:

JosephR

yeah philosophical Tao is a good way to put it..for anyone who can describe the Tao is not of it...not trying is indeed trying..aligning is indeed trying... going with the flow is indeed trying,,, does water try to go with the flow,or is it the flow? this is not the Tao,,it is understanding and philosophizing about it..

"Those who know do not speak, those who speak, do not know"