God in relation to time

WhollySchmitz

It is clear throughout scripture that God is eternal, that He was not created and will never end. So my question doesn't relate to that, but if He experiences time sequentially like we do, or does He experience all of time all at once because He created time and is above it?

JosephR

for me, when I deem Him, Creator.. that puts Him out of the Creation.. Now we cannot understand this completely and to do that would be silly to try, as God informed Job,"where were you when I laid the foundation of the Earth?", I dont want to be asked that :)

Just because we experience time in that manner, and because He communicates with us in a way we can understand,does not put Him ,inside, anything..

An author can write Himself in a book,does that end Him when the last page is written?

A cartoonist can put an "AVATAR" of himself in the cartoon, when the show ends does He?

WhollySchmitz

for me, when I deem Him, Creator.. that puts Him out of the Creation.. Now we cannot understand this completely and to do that would be silly to try, as God informed Job,"where were you when I laid the foundation of the Earth?", I dont want to be asked that :)

Just because we experience time in that manner, and because He communicates with us in a way we can understand,does not put Him ,inside, anything..

An author can write Himself in a book,does that end Him when the last page is written?

A cartoonist can put an "AVATAR" of himself in the cartoon, when the show ends does He?

I know what you mean, however, I'm trying to get at how God experiences time.

Desert Reign

LIFETIME MEMBER
LIFETIME MEMBER
It is clear throughout scripture that God is eternal, that He was not created and will never end. So my question doesn't relate to that, but if He experiences time sequentially like we do, or does He experience all of time all at once because He created time and is above it?

God doesn't experience time in the sense you mean it. Time isn't a thing out there. God simply experiences himself. He is alive. It is the fact that he is alive that enables him to experience what you call a sequence of events.
To say that God created time is to misunderstand what time is. Time is just a concept we use to convey that we experience a sequence of events.

Now, guess what?

We do too.

Because we are also alive.

Because that is how God made us.

Last edited:

JosephR

God doesn't experience time in the sense you mean it. Time isn't a thing out there. God simply experiences himself. He is alive. It is the fact that he is alive that enables him to experience what you call a sequence of events.
To say that God created time is to misunderstand what time is. Time is just a concept we use to convey that we experience a sequence of events.

Now, guess what?

We do to.

Because we are also alive.

Because that is how God made us.

I would disagree a little here.. for time as we know it to occur there must be matter..And I don't think Gods consciousness or however He exist is in a physical realm.

And prolly this is because we wont agree on what time,,is.

For this sequence of events you use the concept of time to measure it by,there has to be an energy transfer, even thoughts.

I think this line of thought puts God, in the sand box He created,limits Him.

WhollySchmitz

God simply experiences himself, unpack that a little.

Nihilo

BANNED
Banned
The highlit.

Whatever time is or is not, time is a noun.

And God is subject to no noun.

JosephR

I'm not going to believe whatever he says, I'm just curious what people believe about this topic!

well dont believe any of us :) seek out the truth yourself,, but what do you think about what I said,,about time?

Ahh I see,, you just want to know what others think.. opps sorry for being to forward :)

Nihilo

BANNED
Banned
BTW, these are all excellent. :up:

I see,well good luck at trying to know the mind of God.

If anyone tries to tell you they do , I would be cautious...

I would disagree a little here.. for time as we know it to occur there must be matter..And I don't think Gods consciousness or however He exist is in a physical realm.

And prolly this is because we wont agree on what time,,is.

For this sequence of events you use the concept of time to measure it by,there has to be an energy transfer, even thoughts.

I think this line of thought puts God, in the sand box He created,limits Him.

WhollySchmitz

you familiar with string theory?

if not,,how about how a movie is made?

LOL btw if He did change the past, one of the consequences of that would be, WE would never know :)

Not familiar with string theory, sorta familiar with how a movie is made, but I'm failing to connect the dots between movie making and God changing the past..

JosephR

Not familiar with string theory, sorta familiar with how a movie is made, but I'm failing to connect the dots between movie making and God changing the past..

Ok,, when a movie is made they go thru it and edit,, they used to go by the TAPE and cut it,now its digital and they just rewind,,, I think of God ,seeing how He made this "movie" can rewind,or cut it.. just like an editor of a movie..