get rid of IRS, Dept of Education, EPA..

rocketman

Resident Rocket Surgeon
Hall of Fame
Ive seen people say exactly that - that all public education needs to go and home schooling only. So for those who think that, i would like to know what they suggest for the children of those whose parents either will not, or cannot (for a number of reasons) educate them at home.

I get that, and I also believe that it benefits society as a whole that public education exists. I do however feel that the federal influence has destroyed the quality of education through standards set by the federal bureaucracy which really has no place at the state, local, & classroom level.

Angel4Truth

Hall of Fame
I get that, and I also believe that it benefits society as a whole that public education exists. I do however feel that the federal influence has destroyed the quality of education through standards set by the federal bureaucracy which really has no place at the state, local, & classroom level.

I completely agree with that - what do you suggest though for states who do not maintain at least a minimum education level, or localities who bankrupt their own systems - what about children there?

Jose Fly

States and communities can fund education, they do not need Federal funds and regulations to fund education.

We tried that and ended up with enormous inequality between the states' education systems. Poor states like Alabama had miserable public schools whereas more wealthy states like Massachusetts had better. The DOE was set up to help provide additional money to the poorer states.

There were public schools before the Federal government took them over and the children learned much more.

The federal government has not "taken over" schools.

rocketman

Resident Rocket Surgeon
Hall of Fame
I completely agree with that - what do you suggest though for states who do not maintain at least a minimum education level, or localities who bankrupt their own systems - what about children there?

I don't want the federal government setting what the minimum education level, or the curriculum in my locality as I don't agree with most of the tripe that the liberals running the federal government want to push on children as education. I live in a more conservative community and the local school district reflects that bias and it should. Parents should have the right to locally control what their children are exposed to & the curriculum that is being taught given that the local people pay the taxes. Really, I would rather see vouchers issued & more school choice...school competition makes educators strive for excellence it is better for the kids, just look at the success of charter schools.

rocketman

Resident Rocket Surgeon
Hall of Fame
We tried that and ended up with enormous inequality between the states' education systems. Poor states like Alabama had miserable public schools whereas more wealthy states like Massachusetts had better. The DOE was set up to help provide additional money to the poorer states.

And that has done precisely nothing, in fact some of the most affluent states with the most per pupil spending are among the worst academically...look at California that spends roughly $10,000/Pupil and is currently ranked 43 in the nation, NY & Washington D.C. spend the most at approx. 20k/pupil and are ranked 33rd & 50th respectively so spending more does not equal good education nor has the meddling of the federal government made the situation any better, education is best left at the state & local level, the feds screw up everything they touch.

Ktoyou

Hall of Fame
I am saying it needs to go! With school vouchers, and law stating children must stay in school, it seems better to me. I hate the CI in modern education! If some one needs to be taught how to like and dislike people, then the parents need to do it, not school. The DOE does not trust parents, and that is what I think makes adults act like adolescents.

If you attitude is, "when someone calls you sir, you look look around to see your father", then your father was willing to be a grown-up, while you are trying to be perpetual adolescent; this is partly due to the media, and the department of Education.

Ktoyou

Hall of Fame
And that has done precisely nothing, in fact some of the most affluent states with the most per pupil spending are among the worst academically...look at California that spends roughly $10,000/Pupil and is currently ranked 43 in the nation, NY & Washington D.C. spend the most at approx. 20k/pupil and are ranked 33rd & 50th respectively so spending more does not equal good education nor has the meddling of the federal government made the situation any better, education is best left at the state & local level, the feds screw up everything they touch.

Right! I agree fully, and that is because in those states it is near half CI and the rest for reading, writing, grammar, phonetics, language studies, history, geography, and mathematics.

Jose Fly

I don't want the federal government setting what the minimum education level, or the curriculum in my locality

In what school district is the federal government dictating curricula?

I live in a more conservative community and the local school district reflects that bias and it should.

Out of curiosity, what sorts of differences in material does this bias produce?

And that has done precisely nothing

It's done quite a bit. For example, the DOE administers the federal student loan program, which allows many students to go to college.

in fact some of the most affluent states with the most per pupil spending are among the worst academically...look at California that spends roughly $10,000/Pupil and is currently ranked 43 in the nation,

Not sure where you're getting your info from, since California just this year ranked second in the nation in the percentage of high achieving schools (they're first in total number).

the feds screw up everything they touch.

Ok then, never mind.

rocketman

Resident Rocket Surgeon
Hall of Fame
In what school district is the federal government dictating curricula?

Read for yourself...you must be the only person in America who hasn't heard of "Common Core".

http://www.heritage.org/research/re...nd-increased-federal-overreach-into-education

Out of curiosity, what sorts of differences in material does this bias produce?

The teaching of homosexuality as a viable lifestyle, when sex education should be taught and the material to be produced, the promotion of political views with bias attached. These things are just a few of the subjects that parents within a district should have the right to have a say in, who really gives a rip what the government wants a child to learn. I know the teachers unions hate it but, this is exactly why they do not want school choice or vouchers to be issued, they would be out of business as to the content of what they teach...it puts parents in the drivers seat as to the education their children receive.

It's done quite a bit. For example, the DOE administers the federal student loan program, which allows many students to go to college.

I really don't have a rub with college loans but, if that is the only service an entire bloated department provides that is working it is time to narrow their sphere of influence because they certainly don't need to be involved in education at the K-12 level...it is really not their concern, it is a state & local matter.

Your article is only for High schools but, overall California ranks 43rd. You only want to see what you want see...kind of like our failure of a governor Jerry "moonbeam" Brown, he will try to spin it as a win as well.
http://wallethub.com/edu/states-with-the-best-schools/5335/

Ok then, never mind.

OK

Nick M

Black Rifles Matter
LIFETIME MEMBER
Hall of Fame
Really, I would rather see vouchers issued & more school choice...school competition makes educators strive for excellence it is better for the kids, just look at the success of charter schools.

It won't happen because the wealth transfer isn't happening if a voucher for their money is given to them to educate their child where they want.

Jose Fly

Read for yourself...you must be the only person in America who hasn't heard of "Common Core".

Common core is a program where standards are developed by the states with local input. Isn't that what you want?

The teaching of homosexuality as a viable lifestyle

What exactly are they teaching?

when sex education should be taught and the material to be produced, the promotion of political views with bias attached. These things are just a few of the subjects that parents within a district should have the right to have a say in, who really gives a rip what the government wants a child to learn.

Citizens have no input in those things? None at all? If not, then who sets the curricula?

I really don't have a rub with college loans but, if that is the only service an entire bloated department provides that is working it is time to narrow their sphere of influence because they certainly don't need to be involved in education at the K-12 level...it is really not their concern, it is a state & local matter.

Looks to me like you don't have any idea what the DOE even does.

Your article is only for High schools

And they're doing quite well.

but, overall California ranks 43rd.

Depending on which stats you look at. So what do you think would happen to the rankings of schools in poorer states if all federal education money was pulled? You honestly think that would help?

I'm pretty sure the folks in my state are extremely thankful for the federal government and its efforts to fight the crazy wildfires we're having. Kinda like this guy with his "Lower taxes + less government = more freedom" shirt thanking government wildfire fighters for saving his house.

CNGk93OWgAAsGsI.jpg

Funny how that works.....

HisServant

I am not surprised in the least that you would wish to destroy the Department of Education. Apparently children are not high on your list of priorities.

The problem is unfunded mandates... EVERYTHING that the US Department of Education mandates should be paid for out of its own budget and not out of local taxes. That is the problem.

For every teacher that local schools hire these days, they have to hire an administrator to cover all the federal paperwork.

The Horn

BANNED
Banned
Cnservatives in America don't want " smaller government " or "limited government " at all .
Government-ordered compulsory childbirth for pregnant women, even if far too poor to provide for children or a pregnancy would kill them or ruin their health is NOT "limited or smaller " government .
Telling gay people they may not get married , as well as denying them many other rights, which is exactly what conservatives want, is NOT "smaller and limited government ".
Trying to force kids whose parents are not Christians to participate in Christian prayer and sit through Bible readings is NOT "smaller and limited government ." Or requiring that schools teach creationism as legitimate science .
Laws against "sodomy " are NOT limited government .
Want to abolish the EPA ? Fine . Enjoy your poisoned food, air and water .

HisServant

Cnservatives in America don't want " smaller government " or "limited government " at all .
Government-ordered compulsory childbirth for pregnant women, even if far too poor to provide for children or a pregnancy would kill them or ruin their health is NOT "limited or smaller " government .

If you play, you have to pay. Be wise with your choices and abortion would never be needed. Women should take control of their reproductive rights and not go whine for a more costly abortion when a condom would have been the correct choice.

Telling gay people they may not get married , as well as denying them many other rights, which is exactly what conservatives want, is NOT "smaller and limited government ".

Most of the rules for marriage back when it was legislated was to help repopulate America after all the losses in the wars.

It's time we revisit those 'benefits' instead of extending them to more people.

Trying to force kids whose parents are not Christians to participate in Christian prayer and sit through Bible readings is NOT "smaller and limited government ." Or requiring that schools teach creationism as legitimate science .

I don't know of a single conservative that is for mandatory school prayer.

Laws against "sodomy " are NOT limited government .

Most of the laws against sodomy have been there for a hundred years and were their for health reasons.... those health reasons have declined but they are still there and pose a health risk in this country.

Want to abolish the EPA ? Fine . Enjoy your poisoned food, air and water .

If the EPA funded all its mandates, then it wouldn't be looked upon so badly... everything they mandate causes states to have to raise taxes to comply.

republicanchick

They are high on the priority list. Which is why that devil worshipping department needs to go.

the devil?

who believes in him anymore?

only we dumb Christians do... (never mind that some of us have a high IQ and 3.7 college gpa and etc...)

we're dumb just 4 being Christian

so say the... dummies

:dunce:

The Horn

BANNED
Banned
Laws against "sodomy " are NOT for health reasons . Homosexual sex is NOT harmful or dangerous in itself . Unsafe sex, whether you are straight or gay , is .
The government has absolutely NO BUSINESS prying into people's bedrooms, period .
And yes, many conservatives DO want compulsory Christian prayer and Bible readings in public schools .
Laws against abortion have never prevented it from happening .More abortions happen in countries where it is illegal than where it is legal.
If our government makes abortion illegal again, the abortion rate will INCREASE markedly . This has happened every time a government has made abortion illegal again after it had been legal .

HisServant

Laws against "sodomy " are NOT for health reasons . Homosexual sex is NOT harmful or dangerous in itself . Unsafe sex, whether you are straight or gay , is .
The government has absolutely NO BUSINESS prying into people's bedrooms, period .
And yes, many conservatives DO want compulsory Christian prayer and Bible readings in public schools .
Laws against abortion have never prevented it from happening .More abortions happen in countries where it is illegal than where it is legal.
If our government makes abortion illegal again, the abortion rate will INCREASE markedly . This has happened every time a government has made abortion illegal again after it had been legal .

HIV is more readily transmitted via Sodomy... whether homosexual or heterosexual. The digestive tract is riddled with bacteria that may be good for digestion, but is not good for other parts of the body.

The above are proven facts.

I never said abortion should be illegal. I said they should only be as a last resort and people that abuse the public trust and have to have expensive abortions should be penalized in some form.

republicanchick

HIV is more readily transmitted via Sodomy... whether homosexual or heterosexual. The digestive tract is riddled with bacteria that may be good for digestion, but is not good for other parts of the body.

The above are proven facts.

I never said abortion should be illegal. I said they should only be as a last resort and people that abuse the public trust and have to have expensive abortions should be penalized in some form.

so we will put you down as believing that JEsus says

If the child is inconvenient, you can kill him

You are not a true Christian if you believe that

__

HisServant

so we will put you down as believing that JEsus says

If the child is inconvenient, you can kill him

You are not a true Christian if you believe that

__

Jesus never said to make his laws the law of the land either... you cannot be a true christian if you do not follow his example. It seems inconvienient to you that the real way to combat abortion is person by person by witnessing and providing alternatives.

Only a cop out Christian petitions a secular government to do the job they are to lazy to do. (like you).

republicanchick

Jesus never said to make his laws the law of the land either... you cannot be a true christian if you do not follow his example. It seems inconvienient to you that the real way to combat abortion is person by person by witnessing and providing alternatives.

Only a cop out Christian petitions a secular government to do the job they are to lazy to do. (like you).

STUPID!!!!!!!!

In Proverbs it says that if you see your neighbor led to death and do nothing to save him, you will be held accountable