Eternal life

KingdomRose

What is eternal life? What does the Bible say about eternal life? Who is eternal life for?

Eternal life is what all humans were intended to have. When God put Adam on the earth, Adam was not intended to die. The only reason he did was because he disobeyed...deliberately. Humans were supposed to live here on the earth forever. (Isaiah 45:18; Psalm 115:16)

Why would God change His mind? I don't think He has. There's no reason to. Jesus came down here to set us free from the death we inherited from Adam. Now we have the hope of regaining life here on Earth forever.

"The righteous will inherit the earth and live on it forever." (Psalm 37:29)

This is what the Bible tells us. There is a lot of info on this on the website www.jw.org . You can type in whatever you want to find out about in the upper right-hand corner, after you click on "Search."

Jacob

BANNED
Banned
Eternal life is what all humans were intended to have. When God put Adam on the earth, Adam was not intended to die. The only reason he did was because he disobeyed...deliberately. Humans were supposed to live here on the earth forever. (Isaiah 45:18; Psalm 115:16)

Why would God change His mind? I don't think He has. There's no reason to. Jesus came down here to set us free from the death we inherited from Adam. Now we have the hope of regaining life here on Earth forever.

"The righteous will inherit the earth and live on it forever." (Psalm 37:29)

This is what the Bible tells us. There is a lot of info on this on the website www.jw.org . You can type in whatever you want to find out about in the upper right-hand corner, after you click on "Search."
There is something wrong with what you are saying. There is an evil spirit behind it. You will need further study in the Bible, God's word. Psalm 37:29 simply does not mean what you say it means.

Will there be a new heavens and a new earth or do they already exist? I pick the former... there will be a new heaven and a new earth.

I believe there will be a resurrection of the righteous and of the wicked.

In John 14 we read that Jesus said He was going to go and prepare a place for us. Where? :)

Jacob

BANNED
Banned
You are you one who is incorrect, traditional interpretation is easy to disprove if you are an honest seeker.
I have no idea what you mean by traditional interpretation. If you read the words of scripture and do not see them in an esoteric way you may be understanding what you read.

Jacob

BANNED
Banned
How about this one: "preaching the kingdom of God and teaching concerning the Lord Jesus Christ with all openness, unhindered."
Yes, there are teachings concerning the kingdom of God. What I mean and what I am saying is that God's kingdom is different from all other kingdoms.

KingdomRose

There is something wrong with what you are saying. There is an evil spirit behind it. You will need further study in the Bible, God's word. Psalm 37:29 simply does not mean what you say it means.

Will there be a new heavens and a new earth or do they already exist? I pick the former... there will be a new heaven and a new earth.

I believe there will be a resurrection of the righteous and of the wicked.

In John 14 we read that Jesus said He was going to go and prepare a place for us. Where? :)

Evil? Are you serious? Tell me, then, what do YOU say Psalm 37:29 means? Include Psalm 37:9-11 while you're at it.

Yes there will be a "new heavens and new earth." The planet will be rescued from the ruination that is happening now, and there will be a new government (by Christ) and a new population of righteously-inclined people. I ALSO believe in a resurrection of the righteous and the unrighteous (Acts 24:15). Do you think that I don't?

Jesus told his disciples in the first century that he was going to heaven where they would eventually go also. His entire ministry was gathering co-rulers to be in heaven with him. When he talked about heaven, he was talking concerning them. Who do you think he and his co-rulers will rule over? They will rule "over the earth," where billions of people will be living---and for a thousand years.

Jesus redeemed his co-rulers for God with his blood, "out of every tribe and tongue and people and nation, and hast made them for our God a kingdom and priests, and they shall reign over the earth.." (Revelation 5:9,10, Holy Trinity Edition of the Catholic Bible).

"Blessed and holy is he who has part in the first resurrection! Over these the second death [annihilation] has no power; but they will be priests of God and Christ, and will reign with him a thousand years." (Revelation 20:6)

Do not call something evil that you know nothing about.

:nono::liberals:

Jacob

BANNED
Banned
Evil? Are you serious? Tell me, then, what do YOU say Psalm 37:29 means? Include Psalm 37:9-11 while you're at it.

Yes there will be a "new heavens and new earth." The planet will be rescued from the ruination that is happening now, and there will be a new government (by Christ) and a new population of righteously-inclined people. I ALSO believe in a resurrection of the righteous and the unrighteous (Acts 24:15). Do you think that I don't?

Jesus told his disciples in the first century that he was going to heaven where they would eventually go also. His entire ministry was gathering co-rulers to be in heaven with him. When he talked about heaven, he was talking concerning them. Who do you think he and his co-rulers will rule over? They will rule "over the earth," where billions of people will be living---and for a thousand years.

Jesus redeemed his co-rulers for God with his blood, "out of every tribe and tongue and people and nation, and hast made them for our God a kingdom and priests, and they shall reign over the earth.." (Revelation 5:9,10, Holy Trinity Edition of the Catholic Bible).

"Blessed and holy is he who has part in the first resurrection! Over these the second death [annihilation] has no power; but they will be priests of God and Christ, and will reign with him a thousand years." (Revelation 20:6)

I have been studying the Bible since I was a child. I am not a Catholic and I am not a Jehovah's Witness.

I grew up under dispensationalism, but though I am not a dispensationalist, covenant theology was not a welcome alternative.

So I have Judaism and Christianity.

Studying Torah and reading and understanding the Bible, including prophecy, are important.

Matthew 5:5 NASB - 5 "Blessed are the gentle, for they shall inherit the earth.

Is this prophecy of an end-times event? We are not about end-times events. But I am about understanding scripture.

I believe the statement is true, but I have not related it to resurrection.

I do not accept what you have written.

jamie

LIFETIME MEMBER
Yes, there are teachings concerning the kingdom of God. What I mean and what I am saying is that God's kingdom is different from all other kingdoms.

A kingdom requires four things:

1. king
2. people
3. land
4. law

In what what will God's kingdom be different?

Jacob

BANNED
Banned
A kingdom requires four things:

1. king
2. people
3. land
4. law

In what what will God's kingdom be different?
Are you talking about the future or the present kingdom that is?

Matthew 3:2 NASB - 2 "Repent, for the kingdom of heaven is at hand."

Matthew 4:17 NASB - 17 From that time Jesus began to preach and say, "Repent, for the kingdom of heaven is at hand."

John 18:36 NASB - 36 Jesus answered, "My kingdom is not of this world. If My kingdom were of this world, then My servants would be fighting so that I would not be handed over to the Jews; but as it is, My kingdom is not of this realm."

Jacob

BANNED
Banned
Evil? Are you serious? Tell me, then, what do YOU say Psalm 37:29 means?

I saw this verse today.

Ephesians 1:10 NASB - 10 with a view to an administration suitable to the fullness of the times, that is, the summing up of all things in Christ, things in the heavens and things on the earth. In Him

I found the following verse while searching online for the first one.

Colossians 1:19-20 NASB - 19 For it was the Father's good pleasure for all the fullness to dwell in Him, 20 and through Him to reconcile all things to Himself, having made peace through the blood of His cross; through Him, I say, whether things on earth or things in heaven.

KingdomRose

I have been studying the Bible since I was a child. I am not a Catholic and I am not a Jehovah's Witness.

I grew up under dispensationalism, but though I am not a dispensationalist, covenant theology was not a welcome alternative.

So I have Judaism and Christianity.

Studying Torah and reading and understanding the Bible, including prophecy, are important.

Matthew 5:5 NASB - 5 "Blessed are the gentle, for they shall inherit the earth.

Is this prophecy of an end-times event? We are not about end-times events. But I am about understanding scripture.

I believe the statement is true, but I have not related it to resurrection.

I do not accept what you have written.

Yet you are not willing to explain just WHY you do not accept it. Isn't this supposed to be a discussion? An exchange of points of view? Why, then, do you refuse to discuss what there is about what I have posted (always with scriptures) that you do not agree with?

I too have studied the Bible all my life, first with the Methodists, then the Southern Baptists, then with non-denominational fundamentalists, and finally with JWs.

Shall we have a discussion on these things? Or is it to be a mere name-calling opportunity?

www.jw.org

KingdomRose

I saw this verse today.

Ephesians 1:10 NASB - 10 with a view to an administration suitable to the fullness of the times, that is, the summing up of all things in Christ, things in the heavens and things on the earth. In Him

I found the following verse while searching online for the first one.

Colossians 1:19-20 NASB - 19 For it was the Father's good pleasure for all the fullness to dwell in Him, 20 and through Him to reconcile all things to Himself, having made peace through the blood of His cross; through Him, I say, whether things on earth or things in heaven.

AND? What is your point? There is nothing there that conflicts with the other scriptures that are evidence of a paradise on Earth that will last forever.

It would be very nice if you would explain your thoughts.

Jacob

BANNED
Banned
Yet you are not willing to explain just WHY you do not accept it. Isn't this supposed to be a discussion? An exchange of points of view? Why, then, do you refuse to discuss what there is about what I have posted (always with scriptures) that you do not agree with?

I too have studied the Bible all my life, first with the Methodists, then the Southern Baptists, then with non-denominational fundamentalists, and finally with JWs.

Shall we have a discussion on these things? Or is it to be a mere name-calling opportunity?

www.jw.org
You are mistaken if you think there is potentially any name-calling here. I am not a Jehovah's Witness, but I don't believe in name calling ever so that is beside the point.
AND? What is your point? There is nothing there that conflicts with the other scriptures that are evidence of a paradise on Earth that will last forever.

It would be very nice if you would explain your thoughts.
Instead of my thoughts, how about this from the Bible?

2 Peter 3:10-12 NASB - 10 But the day of the Lord will come like a thief, in which the heavens will pass away with a roar and the elements will be destroyed with intense heat, and the earth and its works will be burned up. 11 Since all these things are to be destroyed in this way, what sort of people ought you to be in holy conduct and godliness, 12 looking for and hastening the coming of the day of God, because of which the heavens will be destroyed by burning, and the elements will melt with intense heat!

KingdomRose

You are mistaken if you think there is potentially any name-calling here. I am not a Jehovah's Witness, but I don't believe in name calling ever so that is beside the point.

Instead of my thoughts, how about this from the Bible?

2 Peter 3:10-12 NASB - 10 But the day of the Lord will come like a thief, in which the heavens will pass away with a roar and the elements will be destroyed with intense heat, and the earth and its works will be burned up. 11 Since all these things are to be destroyed in this way, what sort of people ought you to be in holy conduct and godliness, 12 looking for and hastening the coming of the day of God, because of which the heavens will be destroyed by burning, and the elements will melt with intense heat!

Oh, you don't believe in name-calling? I wonder what you call it when you accuse me of being involved with some "evil spirit"? That is what the hypocritical religious leaders accused Jesus of doing---using the power of the demons. That is blasphemy. I am speaking out for Jesus and his spiritual brothers who will rule with him someday. I'd be careful that I didn't work against what they are doing. To call a JW "evil" is pretty close to calling Jesus evil.

Regarding what Peter wrote: He was obviously using a great deal of metaphorical poetic license. Does anyone really think that God will destroy the literal HEAVENS? Why would He do that? All the planets and stars.....you really think that? If not, then why would you think He would literally destroy this Earth? That is not what Peter was talking about.

(1) God had already said that the Earth would last forever. "The earth remains forever." (Ecclesiastes 1: 4)

(2) "The Lord GOD of hosts, the One who touches the land so that it melts, and all those who dwell in it mourn, and all of it rises up like the Nile and subsides like the Nile of Egypt." (Amos 9:5, NASB) Did God really "melt the land"? Neither will He melt the Earth in the future.

(3) What are these "heavens" that will pass away with a hissing noise? Governments are compared to "heavens" in the Bible. The dynasty of the Babylonian kings that Nebuchadnezzar represented is described at Isaiah 14:12 as being starlike, "O star of the morning, son of the dawn." Because Babylon conquered Jerusalem (the seat of God's sovereignty) in the 6th century B.C., we could say that Babylon, in effect, "lifted its throne above the stars of God," these stars evidently referring to the Davidic line of kings, and exalted itself heaven high.

"You said in your heart, 'I will ascend to heaven; I will raise my throne above the stars of God...I will ascend above the heights of the clouds; I will make myself like the Most High.'" (Is.14:13,14, NASB) This shows me that "heavens" can indeed mean ruling powers. Do you see that?

(4) The connection of the "heavens" with ruling power helps us understand the meaning of the expression "new heavens and new earth." Note what M'Clintock and Strong's Cyclopedia says about it:

"A new heaven and a new earth signify a new government, new kingdom, new people." (1891, Vol IV, p.122)

That is what 2 Peter is talking about. A new governmental arrangement (Isaiah 9:6,7; Daniel 2:44) and a new society of people. Peter brings this out when he says that it is the "ungodly men" that will be destroyed, just as in the days of Noah (verse 7). The Flood did not destroy the literal planet, but only the ungodly people.

Further info: www.jw.org

Jacob

BANNED
Banned
Oh, you don't believe in name-calling? I wonder what you call it when you accuse me of being involved with some "evil spirit"? That is what the hypocritical religious leaders accused Jesus of doing---using the power of the demons. That is blasphemy. I am speaking out for Jesus and his spiritual brothers who will rule with him someday. I'd be careful that I didn't work against what they are doing. To call a JW "evil" is pretty close to calling Jesus evil.

Regarding what Peter wrote: He was obviously using a great deal of metaphorical poetic license. Does anyone really think that God will destroy the literal HEAVENS? Why would He do that? All the planets and stars.....you really think that? If not, then why would you think He would literally destroy this Earth? That is not what Peter was talking about.

(1) God had already said that the Earth would last forever. "The earth remains forever." (Ecclesiastes 1: 4)

(2) "The Lord GOD of hosts, the One who touches the land so that it melts, and all those who dwell in it mourn, and all of it rises up like the Nile and subsides like the Nile of Egypt." (Amos 9:5, NASB) Did God really "melt the land"? Neither will He melt the Earth in the future.

(3) What are these "heavens" that will pass away with a hissing noise? Governments are compared to "heavens" in the Bible. The dynasty of the Babylonian kings that Nebuchadnezzar represented is described at Isaiah 14:12 as being starlike, "O star of the morning, son of the dawn." Because Babylon conquered Jerusalem (the seat of God's sovereignty) in the 6th century B.C., we could say that Babylon, in effect, "lifted its throne above the stars of God," these stars evidently referring to the Davidic line of kings, and exalted itself heaven high.

"You said in your heart, 'I will ascend to heaven; I will raise my throne above the stars of God...I will ascend above the heights of the clouds; I will make myself like the Most High.'" (Is.14:13,14, NASB) This shows me that "heavens" can indeed mean ruling powers. Do you see that?

(4) The connection of the "heavens" with ruling power helps us understand the meaning of the expression "new heavens and new earth." Note what M'Clintock and Strong's Cyclopedia says about it:

"A new heaven and a new earth signify a new government, new kingdom, new people." (1891, Vol IV, p.122)

That is what 2 Peter is talking about. A new governmental arrangement (Isaiah 9:6,7; Daniel 2:44) and a new society of people. Peter brings this out when he says that it is the "ungodly men" that will be destroyed, just as in the days of Noah (verse 7). The Flood did not destroy the literal planet, but only the ungodly people.

Further info: www.jw.org
Just to set the record straight I did not say you were involved with some sort of evil spirit.

My point is that we must accept all of scripture not just some. I hope you can see this point.

meshak

BANNED
Banned
Just to set the record straight I did not say you were involved with some sort of evil spirit.

My point is that we must accept all of scripture not just some. I hope you can see this point.

What makes you think they don't accept all?

Your tone is harsh and accusatory and you don't do that to any other Christians. Why is that?