Ebenezer Scrooge: Conservative or Liberal?

Arthur Brain

How remarkably sad. And how remarkably sad how closely it fits with so many comments in this thread.

:plain:

My apologies for the long cut-and-paste.

Merry Christmas one and all.

No apologies necessary zoo. Sad indeed, in all senses of the word....

To you too bud.

:cheers:

zoo22

:yawn:

P.S.
Many of Dickens' political leanings are considered right-wing today.

If you'd actually read my post, you wouldn't have bothered with your silly "PS."

And if you really want to debate Dickens with me, his works, his life, his views, please just let me know. I welcome it. If so, I'd prefer it was in a one-on-one to avoid the distractions. But I would hope you've read Dickens? If so, what have you read?

You can give us a yawn smiley or you can give an answer. I hope you're up for the challenge. :)

Lighthouse

The Dark Knight
Gold Subscriber
Hall of Fame
And supposing the greedy, selfish, abusive people are the only ones who'll give you a job? Employment was quite scarce in the Victorian era and in some ways Bob was quite lucky to have found an indoor clerical job at all.

Also, bear in mind that the prevailing attitude at the time was that one had to be grateful and loyal to one's employer; there was a status difference that was, in effect, not dissimilar to the dynamic between master and servant. What you're proposing is a fairly consumerist approach to employment which, again, relies on being in a position to choose.

If one's adding an extra four hours per day onto one's work day (bearing in mind that working-class Victorians tended to be toiling for 65 - 80 hours a week) in travelling time seems to largely negate the benefit of finding a better-paying employer.

Because he would need time to look for another potential employer, speak to them or give them a letter and be interviewed or assessed in some way.

Yep. Rather like how VC was implying that only the threat of actual starvation will make poor people 'saddle up' and find jobs.

Dickens makes it abundantly clear that philanthropy at the time couldn't possibly have helped everybody who needed help. Nor could it if welfare were abolished tomorrow.

Classy as ever, Lighthouse. Are you this obnoxious in real life, out of interest?

How can you possibly get two jobs when you're working 65 - 80 hours a week and are making your wife and children work as well? You'd die within months, especially considering the conditions in which the poor at the time lived.

And are you saying, then, that you'd totally remove all forms of welfare then 'solve' the problem of inadequately provided-for children by taking them away and giving them to someone else? Would it be the government that did this?

One's stance on the Christian faith and the celebration of holidays has nothing to do with right- and left-wing politics. Furthermore, most liberals in the West do celebrate Christmas, just like most conservatives.
I'm not really sure at what point I stopped caring.

You really need to learn what a joke is, by the way.

- It has bad guys who usually lose.
- Dr Who travels in a police box and so represents law and order.
- One of the characters had a baby this one time and didn't abort it.
- There is a faithful heterosexual married couple in it.
- Lighthouse enjoys it.

Ergo, yes. Of course Lighthouse thinks it's right-wing. I daresay the one thing he'd argue is left-wing about it is the fact that it involves time travel.
False dichotomy.

If you'd actually read my post, you wouldn't have bothered with your silly "PS."

And if you really want to debate Dickens with me, his works, his life, his views, please just let me know. I welcome it. I'd prefer it was in a one-on-one to avoid the distractions. But if so, I would hope you've actually read some of his works. I'm curious: Have you ever read Dickens? If so, what have you read?
No, I don't want to debate it.

Lighthouse

The Dark Knight
Gold Subscriber
Hall of Fame
No, I didn't imagine you would want to. That's a shame; I think it would have been a nice debate.
No it wouldn't have. There's nothing to debate.

But you didn't answer: have you actually read Dickens? If so, what have you read?
Oliver Twist, at least. I don't recall what else I've read. I've read so many books over the years the best I can do is tell you which books I've read of the ones I currently own, for sure. I don't know what happened to my copy of Oliver Twist.

zoo22

No it wouldn't have. There's nothing to debate.

Nothing to debate? You're telling us about how Bob Cratchit should/could have stepped it up and walked a few miles (as you do) if he actually wanted to better his life? You're telling me about Dickens' politics? And when you're called to task towards a real discussion, you're saying there's "nothing to debate?"

Step away from the challenge; that's fine. But if there's "nothing to debate" what are you yammering on about in this thread?

Oliver Twist, at least. I don't recall what else I've read. I've read so many books over the years the best I can do is tell you which books I've read of the ones I currently own, for sure. I don't know what happened to my copy of Oliver Twist.

I can understand why you wouldn't want to discuss Dickens then.

Well, anyway, you're more than welcome to borrow my copy of Oliver Twist, or any of Dickens' other works.

Arthur Brain

I'm not really sure at what point I stopped caring.

When you realized you'd been pwned?

:shut:

False dichotomy.

No, I don't want to debate it.

Hardly surprising. You know as much about Dickens & Victorian London as a slice of grapefruit waiting to be coated in sugar or a latrine depending. Good luck in finding your copy of Oliver Twist though. :thumb:

Lighthouse

The Dark Knight
Gold Subscriber
Hall of Fame

Nothing to debate? You're telling us about how Bob Cratchit should/could have stepped it up and walked a few miles (as you do) if he actually wanted to better his life? You're telling me about Dickens' politics? And when you're called to task towards a real discussion, you're saying there's "nothing to debate?"
:doh:

There's nothing to debate because while I can comment on what you have posted I do not know, or care, enough about Dickens to have a debate regarding the man.

Arthur Brain

There's nothing to debate because while I can comment on what you have posted I do not know, or care, enough about Dickens to have a debate regarding the man.

If you don't know, or care enough about Dickens to have a debate regarding the man then how can you possibly have an informed opinion regarding his work and politics?! The only book you seem to have 'possibly' read is Oliver Twist....

Granite

Hall of Fame

:rotfl:

So you're finally admitting for a change you have no idea what you're talking about. That's refreshing, kiddo: you're finally turning over a new leaf.

some other dude

No, I think it's devolved into a tardfest attacking Lighthouse for refusing to get sucked into endless bickering over trivial nonsense with zoo.

Typical behavior from our resident tards.

MrRadish

No, I think it's devolved into a tardfest attacking Lighthouse for refusing to get sucked into endless bickering over trivial nonsense with zoo.

Typical behavior from our resident tards.

Aww. Look at SOD sticking up for poor little Lighthouse. You listen to SOD, you bullies! What did Lighthouse ever do to you?