Don't Tithe: Give more or less, but not 10%!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Jefferson

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
Super Moderator
Don't Tithe: Give more or less, but not 10%!

Tuesday January 11th, 2005. This is show #7.

BEST QUOTE OF THE SHOW:
Tithing is especially conducive to legalism and self-righteousness and to not see in the New Testament that God has turned from the Law to the covenant of grace. You can obey the Law just using a calculator. It doesn't require a relationship with God. But the covenant of grace is based on love and a relationship.

Last edited by a moderator:

Lighthouse

The Dark Knight
Gold Subscriber
Hall of Fame
I agree that you should give from your heart, but anyone who has touse a calculator to figure out what ten percent is needs to go back to pre-school.

katherinelaine

Very encouraging!

Very encouraging!

I thought this was an awesome show and Bob did a great job teaching what the Bible says about tithing in a clear and understandable way. Go Bob!

julie21

Whatever I give to the church I go to, is from the heart, as is anything I give monetarily to those in need on the streets, in tsunami or fire ravaged areas, and in words of comfort or help to anyone who may need it. It may work out to whatever percentage. As long as it is given from the heart, and not calculated that "I will give this so that this same amount or more will be given back to me, be it in blessings or grace", then I believe there is no legality in that.
The heart is warm...but a calculation seems cold.
You give back to the Lord out of love, and you pass His love on to others.

Jefferson

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
Super Moderator
Re: Very encouraging!

Re: Very encouraging!

Originally posted by katherinelaine

I thought this was an awesome show and Bob did a great job teaching what the Bible says about tithing in a clear and understandable way. Go Bob!
Welcome to TOL katherinelaine. Glad to have you here.

godrulz

Hall of Fame
We miss the point and are just as legalistic if we say we cannot give 10%. Giving 2% or 20% is no more or less spiritual or legalistic. Motive (love and worship), systematic, proportionate/generous/sacrificial giving are Pauline principles that go beyond the Law.

Granite

Hall of Fame
I read in the "Washington Times" that a full 7% of professing Christians in America tithe regularly.

If you guys aren't willing to fund your own churches, what's that say?

Lucky

Hall of Fame
Originally posted by granite1010

I read in the "Washington Times" that a full 7% of professing Christians in America tithe regularly.

If you guys aren't willing to fund your own churches, what's that say?
Why do you have to be such an idiot all the time???

Just because 93% (according to WT) don't give exactly 10% regulary doesn't mean they are not funding their churches. Funding does not equal or is limited to 10% contributions. :hammer:

Granite

Hall of Fame
Originally posted by Lucky

Why do you have to be such an idiot all the time???

Just because 93% (according to WT) don't give exactly 10% regulary doesn't mean they are not funding their churches. Funding does not equal or is limited to 10% contributions. :hammer:

They weren't talking 10%. They were talking tithing, period.

Clete

Truth Smacker
Silver Subscriber

They weren't talking 10%. They were talking tithing, period.

Tithing is giving 10% you lunatic! (Tithe - Tenth - Get it?)
Any Christian who was asked the question and knew their backside from a hole in the ground would know this and answer accordingly.

Granite

Hall of Fame
Originally posted by Clete Pfeiffer

Tithing is giving 10% you lunatic! (Tithe - Tenth - Get it?)
Any Christian who was asked the question and knew their backside from a hole in the ground would know this and answer accordingly.

"Tithing" can and mean different things to different people, Clete. In the Anglican church I attended, as well as the Baptist church I attended--and was immersed in--for six years, "tithing" was very much a however-much-you-can-afford-or-feel-like affair.

The only church I attended that rigorously enforced a strict ten percent mark was the Reconstructionist ministry I spent close to eight years in. And those people kept records of who paid, who didn't, and used it as leverage and guilt manipulation.

Jefferson

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
Super Moderator
Originally posted by granite1010 The only church I attended that rigorously enforced a strict ten percent mark was the Reconstructionist ministry I spent close to eight years in. And those people kept records of who paid, who didn't, and used it as leverage and guilt manipulation.
granite, because of the legalism you were subjected to over this issue, I'm sure you would get a big kick out of listening to Enyart's show on this subject. He really makes fun of churches that teach tithing because of all the Old Testament verses on tithing they conveniently ignore.

Lucky

Hall of Fame
From the link...
For example, Mr. Barna said... and tithing, the practice of giving a tenth of one's income to the church, is "pitifully uncommon" among Christians and "almost nonexistent" among people younger than 40. Only about 7 percent of all born-again Christians tithe, said Mr. Barna.
Can it be any more obvious than that?

Granite

Hall of Fame
Originally posted by Jefferson

granite, because of the legalism you were subjected to over this issue, I'm sure you would get a big kick out of listening to Enyart's show on this subject. He really makes fun of churches that teach tithing because of all the Old Testament verses on tithing they conveniently ignore.

I might when I get home (no sound at work).

Granite

Hall of Fame
Originally posted by Lucky

From the link...

Can it be any more obvious than that?

Never. The. Less.

If Christians aren't willing to put their money where their mouth is the church is in serious trouble.

Poly

Blessed beyond measure
Staff member
Administrator
Super Moderator
Gold Subscriber
LIFETIME MEMBER
Hall of Fame

Never. The. Less.

If Christians aren't willing to put their money where their mouth is the church is in serious trouble.

Oh please! You can't be serious. Look at all the big ministries out there. Their main focus is getting people to put "their money where their mouth is", to an ureal extreme due to pressure of God supposedly not prospering them if they don't. These churches are in serious trouble regardless of the mucho donations given to them.

Status
Not open for further replies.