Do you protest having intercourse with women on their period?

Status
Not open for further replies.

GuySmiley

Have you studied the scriptures at a prestigious institution for a decade or more? Didn't think so. The people I regard as credible have
And even those people don't insist on the definition you insist on. Why don't you believe those credible people? Why do you insist on the one meaning "cut off" only sometimes seems to have? (that's rhetorical, I know why) Some scholars think it sometimes seems to mean kill. That implies that some scholars also think it doesn't mean kill. Why don't you believe those scholars who've studied scriptures at prestigious institutions for a decade or more? (again, rhetorical, its obvious)

So many gays!

BANNED
Banned
And even those people don't insist on the definition you insist on. Why don't you believe those credible people? Why do you insist on the one meaning "cut off" only sometimes seems to have? (that's rhetorical, I know why) Some scholars think it sometimes seems to mean kill. That implies that some scholars also think it doesn't mean kill. Why don't you believe those scholars who've studied scriptures at prestigious institutions for a decade or more? (again, rhetorical, its obvious)

Obviously, people who have properly studied the material have a better grasp of it than the people without any education, but I'll indulge you anyway.

Let's take your side here and say it only means to exile (you're wrong, but just for fun). Where are the Christians demanding these people be exiled? They don't exist.

bybee

Obviously, people who have properly studied the material have a better grasp of it than the people without any education, but I'll indulge you anyway.

Let's take your side here and say it only means to exile (you're wrong, but just for fun). Where are the Christians demanding these people be exiled? They don't exist.

We cannot exile people who are not in our community in the first place.

GuySmiley

It does mean exile, and you have no credible source that says it means kill. You only have a credible source that says it seems, but possibly not, to mean kill sometimes, but not all the time, and then only by some (how many? what percentage?) scholars.

Christians aren't out protesting that because its not as big a deal as homosexuality as you suggest. Also, I don't know of any pro-sex-with-menstruating-women lobby group. Nobody is being forced to bake menstruating-sex cakes. (What would that look like? ew) There are no menstruating-sex pride parades. Every TV show doesn't feel the need to include a character who supports menstruating-sex. Colleges aren't asking students to use new pronouns so as not to offend the pro-menstruating-sex followers. Its just really not a topic that comes up in daily life. I'm going out on a limb here and saying this is the first thread on TOL dedicated to it.

So many gays!

BANNED
Banned
We cannot exile people who are not in our community in the first place.

I'm taking "our community" to mean the country or state lived in. That's how it would be applied today.

Thank you for your ability to see things from multiple sides. That's sadly uncommon

bybee

why don't we do it?

Personally? I believe newbies need a chance to learn the ropes around here. So I will try verbal warnings and reminders of where the lines are drawn.
We want new people to feel comfortable here... Of course, we want to
feel comfortable too. A little give and take is nice for a beginning.

First::singer: Then: :angrymob:

So many gays!

BANNED
Banned
It does mean exile, and you have no credible source that says it means kill. You only have a credible source that says it seems, but possibly not, to mean kill sometimes, but not all the time, and then only by some (how many? what percentage?) scholars.

Christians aren't out protesting that because its not as big a deal as homosexuality as you suggest. Also, I don't know of any pro-sex-with-menstruating-women lobby group. Nobody is being forced to bake menstruating-sex cakes. (What would that look like? ew) There are no menstruating-sex pride parades. Every TV show doesn't feel the need to include a character who supports menstruating-sex. Colleges aren't asking students to use new pronouns so as not to offend the pro-menstruating-sex followers. Its just really not a topic that comes up in daily life. I'm going out on a limb here and saying this is the first thread on TOL dedicated to it.

Scripture supports me, as do the posts on the previous page(s). If you don't like it, it really isn't my problem.

When Christians start persecuting those who lay with their wives on their periods, then you can maybe justify persecuting sodomizers (both gay and straight)

Zeke

I believe this is an ancient lecher's interpretation? Perhaps we are meant to rightly divide this scripture in order to see the lessons therein?
In any case, notwithstanding the howls of indignation from the
word by word" literalists, I feel that there is more than one way to interpret this particular story.
Especially considering that Lot was willing to offer his daughters to the sex crazed crowd gathered outside his home. What kind of a father would do that?
Lot was saved because Abraham was a good man of faith. He was not saved because of any righteousness on his part.

Now you're on to something Galatians 4:24.

GuySmiley

Scripture supports me, as do the posts on the previous page(s). If you don't like it, it really isn't my problem.

When Christians start persecuting those who lay with their wives on their periods, then you can maybe justify persecuting sodomizers (both gay and straight)
:chuckle: Moving on . . .
if we have to pick one of those issues to persecute first, why pick the sex-with-menstruating-women crowd first? Why cant we persecute sodomizers first, then move on to SWMW supporters?

So many gays!

BANNED
Banned
:chuckle: Moving on . . .
if we have to pick one of those issues to persecute first, why pick the sex-with-menstruating-women crowd first? Why cant we persecute sodomizers first, then move on to SWMW supporters?

Firstly, you aren't persecuting straight sodomizers, only gay ones. That's a huge civil rights issue in itself.

Secondly, if you want to discriminate against one thing, then you have to equally discriminate against all things perceived to be equal in depravity. Otherwise, you open yourself up to human bias and bigotry, which shockingly is exactly what is happening here

GuySmiley

Firstly, you aren't persecuting straight sodomizers, only gay ones. That's a huge civil rights issue in itself.

Secondly, if you want to discriminate against one thing, then you have to equally discriminate against all things perceived to be equal in depravity. Otherwise, you open yourself up to human bias and bigotry, which shockingly is exactly what is happening here
But SWMW really isn't a problem in our society, so really we don't have to spend equal efforts.

So many gays!

BANNED
Banned
But SWMW really isn't a problem in our society, so really we don't have to spend equal efforts.

Do you honestly think that there are more gay sexual acts a year than husbands who engage in similar activity with their wives while on their "time of the month"?

Come on now. Gays are less than 10% of the population. That's ridiculous

serpentdove

BANNED
Banned
According to Leviticus, it's just as evil and wicked as sodomy...
:dizzy: Too bad you don't know your bible.

"Too bad." :chz4brnz: ~ Seth Brundle, The Fly

"Le 18:19 Her customary impurity refers to a woman’s menstrual period. Sexual intercourse during this time was forbidden because the woman was ritually impure, and intercourse would make the man ritually impure as well." Radmacher, E. D., Allen, R. B., & House, H. W. (1999). Nelson’s new illustrated Bible commentary (Le 18:19). Nashville: T. Nelson Publishers.

Recommended reading:

The Plot by Bob Enyart

Status
Not open for further replies.