Do you have to believe in the Trinity to be a Christian?

RevTestament

Psalm 22:18-25
18. They part my garments among them, and cast lots upon my vesture.
19. But be not thou far from me, O YHWH: O my strength, haste thee to help me.
20. Deliver my soul from the sword; my darling from the power of the dog.
21. Save me from the lion's mouth: for thou hast heard me from the horns of the unicorns.
22. I will declare thy name unto my brethren: in the midst of the congregation will I praise thee.
23. Ye that fear YHWH, praise him; all ye the seed of Jacob, glorify him; and fear him, all ye the seed of Israel.
24. For he hath not despised nor abhorred the affliction of the afflicted; neither hath he hid his face from him; [/COLOR]but when he cried unto him, he heard.
My praise shall be of thee in the great congregation: I will pay my vows before them that fear him.
Hi Daqq.
I would like to emphasize that last verse. "I will pay my vows before them that fear him." Wow. Here we see that the Father and Jesus were indeed in a covenant relationship. Jesus was "paying His vows" in the flesh. Thus, He laid His life down for us - not out of commandment. But look at the other side of the coin my friend. What did the Father tell Him in return?
Acts 13: 32 And we declare unto you glad tidings, how that the promise which was made unto the fathers,
33 God hath fulfilled the same unto us their children, in that he hath raised up Jesus again[anistemi Iesous anistemi; as it is also written in the second psalm, Thou art my Son, this day have I begotten thee.

daqq

Who else do you consider not to be a Christian, Other?

As explained in other places around here to you already: "Christian" is not a nameplate but you treat it as if it is, and you certainly abuse, disgrace, and profane the name, (which is one of the reasons I do not use it because people like you have made it become meaningless or worse). As for you and who else do you not understand "you and yours" in my very simple statement? That means you and everyone who walks, acts, and talks just like you.

Totton Linnet

Silver Subscriber
Some Christians will tell you that gambling is a sin.

But, to answer your "question":

There was a time when all I knew about Jesus was what I was taught in Church.
Since that time I have both met Him and studied the Bible to see what it says about Him.
Since then, I take what churches say about Jesus with a lot of skepticism, since they often teach the opposite of what the Bible clearly states.

As Paul said:

1 Corinthians 13:11 When I was a child, I spake as a child, I understood as a child, I thought as a child: but when I became a man, I put away childish things.​

_____
Beget
1. To procreate, as a father or sire; to generate; as, to beget a son.
2. To produce, as an effect; to cause to exist; to generate; as, luxury begets vice.
_____​

Not true.
Luxury is not vice, even though luxury begets vice.

The word "Son of" has a very precise meaning.
_____
Son
9. son of pride, sons of light, son of Belial. These are Hebraisms, which denote that persons possess the qualities of pride, of light, or of Belial, as children inherit the qualities of their ancestors.
_____​

This is a weak response, I am [I have to confess] dismayed by your Unitarianism.

I was saved in my own home, so wonderful, so dramatically was I saved that I immediately [or at least after a couple of hours running and jumping and glorying in the experience of being saved on Hampstead Heath] I went to the Christian book shop off Oxford St London and spent hours and hours scouring the shelves in order to discover what kind of Christian I had become.

I barracked every new assistant who appeared with questions with regard to the evangelistic organization through whose ministry I had been saved but was met with blank looks.

At last I picked up a book that related some stories about some of the evangelistic campaigns conducted by that ministry.

When I attended the fellowship meetings of the denomination attributed I found it sadly not at all what I expected or desired, the fact is the denomination was [and is] in a backslidden condition, however I still fellowship among them.

So whatever doctrines I hold were fashioned in that experience...to use the Pauline expression "not in wisdom of men's words but in the power of God"

Before I accept any doctrine I want that it accords with scripture.

That Christ is very God does accord with scripture.

Grosnick Marowbe

Hall of Fame
As explained in other places around here to you already: "Christian" is not a nameplate but you treat it as if it is, and you certainly abuse, disgrace, and profane the name, (which is one of the reasons I do not use it because people like you have made it become meaningless or worse). As for you and who else do you not understand "you and yours" in my very simple statement? That means you and everyone who walks, acts, and talks just like you.

If ya can't take the heat, get outta Dodge. Or, place me and others
on ignore? Stop acting like a crybaby. You're embarrassing yourself.

Ben Masada

Do you have to believe in the Trinity to be a Christian?

No, we don't. All we need to become Christians is to believe that Jesus was "Christ." The rest is commentary.

Totton Linnet

Silver Subscriber
Already explained to you that I answered that question and suggested you search my posts to find it if you really wanted to know. Now here you are in the very thread where I answered showing both your incompetence and the true motive which lurks in the darkness of your heart. :)

Honor is not worship. Kings were also bowed to, paid respect, given homage, and honored, and that is the same Greek word proskuneo. Kings were also called "Mashiah YHWH", ("Messiah of YHWH") and kings were also anointed as were priests, and kings were also called "Son of God", as was the High Priest, as representatives of the authority of God upon the earth. We also bow to the Father in the name of the Son. You have twisted the meaning of honor to mean absolute worship as Almighty God. In addition you do not honor the Testimony of Yeshua because you worship him as Almighty God while he worships the Father as Almighty God whom he said was greater than himself. You therefore dishonor the Testimony of Yeshua. He is not ashamed to call those willing to become sanctified his brethren. You therefore worship a person you call Father, a person you call the Holy Spirit, and person you call the Son who was not ashamed to call us brethren. You therefore worship your own brother and by default will surely come to see yourself also as God because you claim to have God your brother dwelling in you: and if your Father, and your Holy Spirit, and your brother are all God Almighty, then so too will you eventually come to think similarly of yourself in the recesses of your heart and mind, in self righteous pride, whether you actually realize it or not. You reject the Testimony of Yeshua, whom you claim is Almighty God, and therefore show that you truly do not even worship him because if you did you would hear and believe his Testimony and carry it out in your doctrine, yourself, and your own walk. You worship the leader of the worship service, who stands in the midst of the great congregation, while he himself leads the true congregation in worship to the Father in Spirit and in Truth.

If Christ is God and you do not worship Him as your Creator then you do not accord Him the honour you ought, you dishonour Him and you dishonour the Father.

And nobody worships God for He is not seen or known. He can only be seen and known through Christ.

Grosnick Marowbe

Hall of Fame
The Trinity is obvious to anyone who is able to see truth in the written word of God.
Those who reject the Trinity, more than likely reject other important issues
brought up in God's Holy Inspired Word?

Totton Linnet

Silver Subscriber
No, we don't. All we need to become Christians is to believe that Jesus was "Christ." The rest is commentary.

...the Christ, the Son of the Living God.

Flesh and blood reveals it not but the Father in heaven, but this is the revelation upon which Christ has builded His church.

Son of the Living God=God

There is where the line has always been drawn between the true church and the cults.

daqq

Hi Daqq.
I would like to emphasize that last verse. "I will pay my vows before them that fear him." Wow. Here we see that the Father and Jesus were indeed in a covenant relationship. Jesus was "paying His vows" in the flesh. Thus, He laid His life down for us - not out of commandment. But look at the other side of the coin my friend. What did the Father tell Him in return?
Acts 13: 32 And we declare unto you glad tidings, how that the promise which was made unto the fathers,
33 God hath fulfilled the same unto us their children, in that he hath raised up Jesus again[anistemi Iesous anistemi; as it is also written in the second psalm, Thou art my Son, this day have I begotten thee.

Hi RevTestament, :)

If you remember correctly from another time and place then you already know where I come from concerning Acts 13:33 and how Luke 3:22 is seldom properly reflected except in a few places such as Codex Bezae (D) where we read the full choq-decree from Psalm 2:7. Might be better in its own thread, eh? But as for the rest, yes, neder nadar naziyr nazar laYHWH and thus all of the PRAYERS of Yeshua spoken in the Gospel accounts were answered. :)

daqq

By the way, RT, the simple fact alone that Yeshua was begotten in/on a certain DAY, even "THIS DAY", according to the statement from Acts 13:33 quoting Psalm 2:7, reveals that he was begotten IN TIME. :)

Ben Masada

1 - ...the Christ, the Son of the Living God.

2 - Flesh and blood reveals it not but the Father in heaven, but this is the revelation upon which Christ has builded His church.

3 - Son of the Living God=God

4 - There is where the line has always been drawn between the true church and the cults.

1 - No, I meant the "Christ" of Paul. If you don't know yet, Paul was the one responsible for the title of "Christ" on Jesus aka Yeshua ben Yoseph. That's how Jews were named in Israel in the First Century.

2 - The Church was built by Paul, not by Jesus. Yeshua was a Jew whose Faith was Judaism and, Jews don't build churches but synagogues.

3 - Only according to the Greek myth of the demigod which is the son of a god with an earthly woman. (Mat. 1:18; Acts 9:20)

4 - Yea, between the Nazarene congregations of the apostles and the churches of Paul.

Totton Linnet

Silver Subscriber
Paul was brought by Barnabas and introduced to the already growing [multiplying] and vibrant church at Antioch.

The assemblies planted by Paul in all the cities he visited are upon the model of the Jerusalem church showing exactly the same ministrations as that church.

Totton Linnet

Silver Subscriber
1 - No, I meant the "Christ" of Paul. If you don't know yet, Paul was the one responsible for the title of "Christ" on Jesus aka Yeshua ben Yoseph. That's how Jews were named in Israel in the First Century.

2 - The Church was built by Paul, not by Jesus. Yeshua was a Jew whose Faith was Judaism and, Jews don't build churches but synagogues.

3 - Only according to the Greek myth of the demigod which is the son of a god with an earthly woman. (Mat. 1:18; Acts 9:20)

4 - Yea, between the Nazarene congregations of the apostles and the churches of Paul.

You Joos are responsible....Christ is the translation of Messiah or Anointed.

Anointed holy One we come before You
lifting holy hands unto Your name

oatmeal

If Christ is God and you do not worship Him as your Creator then you do not accord Him the honour you ought, you dishonour Him and you dishonour the Father.

And nobody worships God for He is not seen or known. He can only be seen and known through Christ.

So in other words, since God is invisible and Jesus is not, they are not one and the same.

Simple words with simple meanings, so simple even a fool could understand them, but you miss their simple meanings

oatmeal

The Trinity is obvious to anyone who is able to see truth in the written word of God.
Those who reject the Trinity, more than likely reject other important issues
brought up in God's Holy Inspired Word?

So show us a verse where "trinity, triune, dual nature, mother of God" shows up?

Why are you smart enough to use words God did not find fit to use in scripture?

oatmeal

You're a real "Oddball" You don't believe the Bible concerning the Trinity. Well, that's the "limitation of thought" that you're stuck with I guess?

I choose to believe words that appear in scripture.

"trinity, triune, mother of God, dual nature..." are words that God does not use to describe Himself.

It takes a wicked generation to try to rewrite God's word.

Bright Raven

LIFETIME MEMBER
Hall of Fame
I choose to believe words that appear in scripture.

"trinity, triune, mother of God, dual nature..." are words that God does not use to describe Himself.

It takes a wicked generation to try to rewrite God's word.

It takes a righteous generation to properly exegete it.